Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By AvengerRam
  • 5 Post By Rambos
  • 2 Post By mde8352gorams
  • 1 Post By VegasRam

Thread: In race for top defense in the West, attrition favors the Rams

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

In race for top defense in the West, attrition favors the Rams

All eleven of the Rams defensive starters from 2013 are returning this year. Additionally, the Rams have added Aaron Donald, Lamarcus Joyner, Alex Carrington, Maurice Alexander and E.J. Gaines.

While the other teams in the West have likewise added young defensive talent through the draft, they have each suffered signficant losses.

Seattle has lost a great deal of depth on their DL with the departure of Red Bryant, Chris Clemons and Clinton McDonald. While they still have a very talented starting four, their ability to rotate players may be diminished this year. They also have lost Brandon Browner, but his absence last year did not impact the play of the defense.

San Francisco has lost Donte Whitner and Carlos Rodgers from its secondary. Whether these losses will have an impact is questionable, as there are younger players ready to take over. The bigger losses will be in the LB corps, where Navarro Bowman will start the year on the PUP list, and Aldon Smith could be facing a lengthy suspension.

Arizona has has suffered the greatest losses. It is likely that they will be missing their top 4 tacklers on opening day: Karlos Dansby (FA departure), Yeremiah Bell (FA departure), Daryl Washington (suspension) and Tyrann Matthieu (injury). Additionally, their best pass rusher, John Abraham, is 36 years old.

Despite these losses, the NFC West will likely be the home of four top-tier defenses. However, the Rams ability to maintain and enhance its talent pool on defense could vault them to the top of the list.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -06-02-2014 at 03:07 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: In race for top defense in the West, attrition favors the Rams

Then factor in Gregg Williams and I think we have closed the gap big time on the defensive side of the ball.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Very much agree with your points. We have an ascending defense coached by Gregg Williams, whom I expect to make us more ferocious than last year. We might also see Ray Ray Armstrong beat out Jo Lonn Dunbar at the OLB, making us better there too. I'm only concerned that our secondary gets the necessary improvements it needs.

AV, You didn't mention SF losing Tarrell Brown another starting CB, which puts 2 new CB's in place, tough to navigate. Also I think you meant John Abraham for AZ as their best pass rusher. Good post, we have lots of good things to anticipate.

Go Rams!
    AvengerRam and live4ramin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    AV, You didn't mention SF losing Tarrell Brown another starting CB, which puts 2 new CB's in place, tough to navigate.
    Good call. Forgot about him.

Also I think you meant John Abraham for AZ as their best pass rusher.
    Derr... who the Hades is John Alexander!?!?!?!!

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

You can add Walter Thurmond to the Seahawks list - he was their slot corner and, I think, the only Seahawks corner under 6'0. Whilst their tall larger corners may be great on the outside I don't see them having the same success in the slot against the likes of Austin.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

In additon Justin Smith is what 36 years old for the niners and they have yet to find a capable heir to his position. Justin Smith is the meat and potatoes/ glue guy for that niners defense.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

and Tyrann Matthieu (injury)
    A recent comment from one of their coaches makes it sound like he will be ready to go on opening day. I think Seattle will be fine. They are still (by far) the deepest in the secondary...where the Rams are still quite vulnerable. They have been horrible vs. the pass for far too long. I truly believe the #13 pick should have been Pryor.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    A recent comment from one of their coaches makes it sound like he will be ready to go on opening day.
    I saw that. I think that's pretty optimistic, given how late in the year he suffered the injury and given the extent to which speed and lateral movement are key at his position.

I think Seattle will be fine. They are still (by far) the deepest in the secondary...where the Rams are still quite vulnerable. They have been horrible vs. the pass for far too long. I truly believe the #13 pick should have been Pryor.
    That's not entirely true. The Rams were a middle-of-the-pack pass defense in 2012 allowing 225.1 yards/game (15th) and an opposing passer rating of 83.9 (14th). In 2013, they dropped to 19th in yards/game allowed, and 24th in opposing passer rating. I think that the decline was due, in large part, to the scheme, which allowed high percentage passes through soft coverage. This year, with the addition of some young players, and the change in scheme, I expect the pass defense will improve. It also won't hurt to have a guy like Aaron Donald rushing from the inside.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Not to mention Christian Bryant, Marcus Roberson and Eric Ried. One of those guys has gotta' stick.

But the steal of the draft, and what is really going to improve our D is Johnny Millard, LB, Cal Poly SLO.

(Guess where I went to college.)
    citr92 likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    In additon Justin Smith is what 36 years old for the niners and they have yet to find a capable heir to his position. Justin Smith is the meat and potatoes/ glue guy for that niners defense.
    Tank Carradine will be his replacement.. Carradine was going to be a 1st round pick last year had he not torn his ACL.

THE DREAM TEAM

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Not to mention Christian Bryant, Marcus Roberson and Eric Ried. One of those guys has gotta' stick.

But the steal of the draft, and what is really going to improve our D is Johnny Millard, LB, Cal Poly SLO.

Nice. I'm in Atascadero. Love livin' in SLO county... know tons of people from Cal Poly.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Tank Carradine will be his replacement.. Carradine was going to be a 1st round pick last year had he not torn his ACL.
    But he did tear his ACL, and he wasn't a first round pick. There is no guarantee that he'll be half the player that Smith was in his prime.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post

As much as I wish it was Eric Reid, it's Greg Reid.