Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Radio News (Rams sign kicker)

Things I have heard on th radio today

-Culbertson has signed an extension, signs for Chillar's departure?? Apparently is asking for a pretty large pay day

-Rams have signed another kicker. Justin Medlock, played for Kansas City last year preseason. Will compete with Wilkens

-Rams contract negotiator that is looking to go to the Packers. Apparently he was told it might be a good idea to check out some of his options.

-Sounds like Al Saunders son will indeed be coming to the team, looks to be as the QB coach

- Devaney in his 1st year will be focusing on the Pro Player side and Softli will focus on the draft. There will also pick a spot in the 1st round that they will not trade below in case they get overwhelmed on draft day. According to the Ziggy interview on the radio he sounds more like a mediator than one who makes player decisions.

-Devaney will be totally in charge of the War Room on draft day.

-The message from Devaney and Linehan today was to not get excited about free agency. The rising salary cap will allow most teams to keep most of their top players. At best, Devaney said team can add a starter or two in a normal year. And this may be a poor year for free agency, as it was with baseball. A lot of would-be free agents may yet be signed or stuck with the transition tag.
    Last edited by RamWraith; -02-11-2008 at 08:56 PM.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Radio News

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    -Sounds like Al Saunders son will indeed be coming to the team, looks to be as the QB coach
    I thought the Rams were prepared to offer Terry Shea the job. Have you heard anything about this situation? I like Shea's experience and believe that he will have more credibility with our veteran QBs. (Besides Son of Saunders sounds kind of ominous for some reason.)

WHAT SAY YE?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Hmm, interesting to see if we will want / manage to keep Chillar (I hope he stays).

Also, good place for Saunders' son to gain experience; mostly by learning from his
    dad's challenge of changing a terrible offense into a winning offense.

Besides Son of Saunders sounds kind of ominous for some reason.-- RAMarkable
    Hopefully a good omen!

Thanks Wraith.
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-11-2008 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Quote

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'm guessing we probably will make him an offer, but it won't be high enough to keep him from testing the waters in free agency. Then it'll just be a matter of whether any other teams out there want him worse than we do. Hopefully, he'll at least give us the chance to match another team's offer before signing. He has played pretty well, and it'd be a shame to lose him.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

About Justin Medlock:

Position Kicker
    Height 5-11
    Weight 201
    Years Experience R
    Birthdate 10/23/1983
    Hometown Fremont, CA
    College UCLA
    Current status Active
    Games Started 0
    Games Played 0

College Bio
    Extremely accurate collegiate kicker joined the Chiefs as the second of their two fifth-round picks (160th overall) in the 2007 NFL Draft … Emerged as one of college football’s most reliable and consistent kickers during his senior season at UCLA … Expected to serve as the club’s primary kicker in 2007 … Big-legged performer set the UCLA career record with six FGs of 50+ yards … Four-year letterman finished his career second in school annals in both points (357) and made field goals (70) ... Connected on 70 of 88 career field goal attempts (79.5%) and 147 of 148 PATs.

2006: Lou Groza semi-finalist served as the club’s kicker in all 13 games … Named first-team All-America by a host of outlets, including AP and The Sporting News … Also earned unanimous first-team All-Pac 10 honors and conference Special Teams Player of the Year accolades … Converted the second-highest single-season field goal total in UCLA history going 28 of 32 … Also knocked in 29 extra points to lead the Bruins with 113 points … Led the nation with an average of 2.15 field goals per game … Registered four field goals in back-to-back games vs. Rice and Washington … Converted all four field goal tries vs. Oregon State.

2005: Appeared in 11 games as the team’s kicker … Earned first-team All-Pac 10 honors for the second consecutive season … Was good on 13 of 17 FGs on the year and all 50 PATs to rank second on the squad with 89 points … Tied a school record with nine PATs vs. Rice … Made two of three field goals vs. Oklahoma including a 51-yarder, which gave him four career field goals of 50 yards or longer, tying the school record … Named Pac 10 Special Teams Player of the Week vs. Oregon State after knocking in three field goals (27, 47, 37) and six PATs.

2004: Handled the placekicking duties in all 12 games … Earned first-team All-Pac 10 honors and was a semi-finalist for the Lou Groza Award after converting 15 of 20 field goal attempts and 42 of 43 PATs, good for a team-high 87 points … Became the first player in school history to kick three field goals of 50 or more yards in a single season … Made two field goals, including a career-long 52-yarder, as well as two PATs vs. Oklahoma State … Converted a career-high four field goals (22, 40, 43, 44) and three PATs for a personal-best 15 points vs. San Diego State … Made three field goals and tallied a pair of PATs vs. Washington State … Named Pac 10 Special Teams Player of the Week after connecting on field goals of 50 and 51 yards vs. Oregon, becoming the first player in UCLA history to make two field goals of 50 or more yards in the same game.

2003: Served as the club’s kicker for all 13 games … Named to The Sporting News Pac 10 All-Freshman Team after leading the Bruins in scoring with 68 points, making 14 of 19 field goals and 26 of 26 extra points.

2002: Redshirted as a freshman … Majored in Sociology at UCLA.
    Personal Bio
    • Named first-team all-county and all-league as both a kicker and punter following his senior season at Mission San Jose High School in Fremont, California.

• Also earned Prep Star All-America honors.

• Converted four of six field goals including a long of 47 yards and tallied a 43.1-yard punting average during his senior season.

• Made seven of 13 field goals as a junior.

• A two-time all-league honoree in soccer.

• Full name: Justin Charles Medlock.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Radio News (Rams sign kicker)

Hmm I think the kicker is some good news. I mean, Wilkins is definately up there in age and his leg is crapping out on us.

As for Chillar, we have Culberson and Draft. They can show us what they have to offer.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

About Justin Medlock:

Position Kicker
    Height 5-11
    Weight 201
    Years Experience R
    Birthdate 10/23/1983
    Hometown Fremont, CA
    College UCLA
    Current status Active
    Games Started 0
    Games Played 0
    So this is the kid I watched on Hard Knocks (HBO series about the 07 KC training camp) who kicked in KC's first regular season game and missed a 30 yard FG, hit a 27 yard FG and then got cut before week 2.

Hmmm I wonder how he will do. I also wonder where that Kevin Lovell kid is we had last year, I kinda liked him.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

BEER is offline Registered User

Wink Re: Radio News

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    So this is the kid I watched on Hard Knocks (HBO series about the 07 KC training camp) who kicked in KC's first regular season game and missed a 30 yard FG, hit a 27 yard FG and then got cut before week 2.

Hmmm I wonder how he will do. I also wonder where that Kevin Lovell kid is we had last year, I kinda liked him.
    I agree, I liked Lovell and even more as the season went on..That being said
    it's not as near as bad as getting rid of Hedgecock. Bonehead move!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    I agree, I liked Lovell and even more as the season went on..That being said
    it's not as near as bad as getting rid of Hedgecock. Bonehead move!
    Speaking of Lovell where is he? What's his status?

mpire is offline Registered User

- Devaney in his 1st year will be focusing on the Pro Player side and Softli will focus on the draft.

-Devaney will be totally in charge of the War Room on draft day.
    Does that sound right?

CanadianRam! is offline Registered User

"The rising salary cap will allow most teams to keep most of their top players."

But Chillar is getting too expensive for us??? Kinda contradictory.
    And Medlock had a poor preseason and got cut after week 1 last year but who knows, he could win the job against wilkins.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Speaking of Lovell where is he? What's his status?
    Still a free agent, from all I can see.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Hopefully we can keep Chillar, I think he can be a solid LB for us for years to come.
    I like the competition with Wilkins. He struggled last year, no doubt, so maybe some added competition will get him to work a bit harder. I'm hoping he's able to keep the spot and get back to his usual self.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I'd sign Lovell too, he looked good for us. Besides it would cost us close to nothing, and we could always structure his deal so he could be cut easily. I'd like to see a couple of choices at K this year, Wilkins did not impress last year sadly.

keith m. klink Guest

WILKINS still hit 75% of his kicks , and this was a horrid year for him . in my opinion , even on his worst day and his worst year , he is still one of the best kickers in the NFL . and thats just the way it is folks . if his health isn't an issue , and he can rehab and get his ailments corrected i think that he could still be an asset to the team . we just might need a kickoff guy (medlock) . and i know the whole thing about carrying an extra player. WILKINS is worth the spot . and i totally agree about LOVELL . i think the kid was 5-6 and 155 lbs , but he didn't miss during his time her , did he ! maybe they think he might be too small for kickoff duties .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-11-2008, 09:45 PM