Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Ram Bytes: The deterioration of Bradford

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Ram Bytes: The deterioration of Bradford

Ram Bytes: The deterioration of Bradford
    16 hours ago
    BY BERNIE MIKLASZ

Good afternoon...

No question, Sam Bradford is regressing.

Here are his passer ratings, week by week, through four games:

Arizona, 100.7

Atlanta, 87.8

Dallas, 80.2

San Francisco, 59.4

Bradfordís overall accuracy isnít as bad as I believed; according to STATS the percentage of his incompletions that resulted from a bad throw is considerably better this season compared to 2012 and 2011.

The main issue is Bradfordís terrible accuracy when under pass-rush pressure. To varying degrees, all quarterbacks have to operate with onrushing defenders in their face. Some deal with it better than others.

According to Pro Football Focus, Bradford has been under pressure on 38.3 percent of his dropbacks this season, and thatís the 11th-highest rate among NFL starters.

The last two games have been especially brutal, with the Cowboys and ***** combining for 11 sacks, five hits and 24 hurries on the Ramsí QB.

And the numbers make it clear that Bradford is doing a poor job of getting the ball to his receivers when confronted with the pass rush.

According to Pro Football Focus:

When Bradford hasnít been pressured this season, heís completed 85 of 119 passes (71.4 percent) for 801 yards, seven TDs, three interceptions and a fine passer rating of 98.8.

But when Bradford is pressured, heís completed only 22 of 63 (35 percent) for 294 yards with no TDs or INTs and a passer rating of 50.6.

Pro Football Focus rightly adjusts the accuracy rating to account for dropped passes and intentional throwaways.

In the adjusted accuracy rating under pressure, Bradfordís completion rate of 48.1 percent ranks 28th among that 30 quarterbacks that have taken at least 50 percent of the snaps.

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer isnít giving Bradford much if any help with his consistently dreadful play calling and appallingly bad game plans.

The offensive line has been overrun in the last two games, and Bradford has been victimized by too many dropped passes (15 in four games.)

Bradford has no running game to work with; the Rams are on pace to set a franchise record for fewest rushing yards per game in a season. And judging from what we've seen through four games, this team doesn't have a legitimate starting NFL running back. Not even close.

But the rationalizations only go so far.

Quarterbacks have to step up and make big throws even as the large and hostile invaders close in to deliver punishment.

I went to Pro Football Focus to look at the adjusted accuracy ratings of the 10 quarterbacks that have encountered a higher percentage of dropbacks under pressure than Bradford this season.

Here are the QBs adjusted accuracy ratings when under fire more frequently than Bradford:

Brandon Weeden, 59.3 percent

Michael Vick, 50 pct.

Matt Ryan, 63.6 pct.

Matt Schaub, 67.4 pct.

Ben Roethlisberger, 61.5 pct.

Eli Manning, 61.1 pct.

Andrew Luck, 53.1 pct.

Jake Locker, 60 pct.

Terrelle Pryor, 60 pct.

Christian Ponder, 67.9 pct.

And again, by comparison, Bradfordís adjusted accuracy ďpressureĒ rate is a low 48.1 percent.

Thatís a big problem.

In what was probably the biggest play of Thursdayís game from the Ramsí standpoint, Bradford misfired on an easy touchdown connection with Austin Pettis. With the ***** blowing an assignment and Pettis running all alone, Bradford threw a wild, wide pass that didnít come close to hitting the target.

Sure, Bradford had a Niner pass rusher coming at him, but that completion had to be made. It wasnít and the Rams had to settle for a field goal. It was a demoralizing moment in a game that quickly got away from the Rams.

It leads me to wonder if Bradford isnít succumbing to what I dubbed (years ago) The Battered Quarterback Syndrome. I applied that term to Marc Bulger, who was burned out by the physical and mental punishment of playing on an increasingly bad team that left him exposed to violent blows.

Those more sympathetic of Bradford would attribute at least some of the deterioration to the gradual effect of hits, and the corrosive repercussions of losing and failure.

Those less sympathetic of Bradford would dismiss this with a wave of the hand, insisting that he isnít a good quarterback _ end of argument.

I think there's truth in both theories.

Bradford hasn't had an easy road here, and it's ludicrous to suggest that he has.

On the other hand, he isn't as good as I believed he'd be.

Bradford should be better than this.

That's my bottom line, and it comes from a guy who doesn't automatically blame the QB for anything and everything that's bad. Intelligent people realize this is a team game.

But we all can see that Bradford is regressing. He was alarmingly ineffective against a ***** defense that was missing two All-Pro players, Aldon Smith and Patrick Willis.

It would be nice if the Rams could offer a rushing attack and a coherent game plan in support Bradford ... but if he isnít getting that itís still no excuse for missing open receivers.

Bradford made progress in a lot of areas in 2012. That included a 61 percent adjusted accuracy rate when he threw under pressure. But nowadays Sam looks like a quarterback that's falling apart. And I don't know if he'll be able to pull himself together.

We'll see over the next 12 games.

Thanks for reading ...

ó Bernie

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: Ram Bytes: The deterioration of Bradford

Bradford can throw the ball...can't argue that point....Bradford knows the playbook....Bradford can even execute the plays when his o-line actually blocks for him on a play...all these things are not in dispute. Nor is the fact he doesn't have "Charisma"--some would say that's leadership, some call it "presents". No matter what you call it, he doesn't have it. Bret Farve had it, A luck has it, P. Manning he's got it too; combine charisma with skill and you have a top 10 QB.

Right now we are seeing that even RGIII is a little sheepish but last season he had that swagger that made a so-so Redskins playoff contenders. Build a little more and C. Newton can take his team to the payoffs and beyond. If there is a serious knock on Bradford, its that the offense isn't his--he is playing the game as if he was just another gear in the machine
    live4ramin and punahou like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

With no run game. The defense in the last two games against the run about as bad as any team I have ever seen. The defense in the first two games against the pass as soft as I have ever seen. The special teams killing us with penalties on every punt putting us in a deep hole on just about every drive we start. Lets look at how Bradford is performing? Kind of out of context if you ask me.

Is he playing great no. But if you want to just look at his numbers and not look at the whole picture lets look.

No question, Sam Bradford is regressing? He is? Career RAT 77.8 RAT after four games this year 82.1

In fact after four games his numbers are all above his career avg.

Projected 4,372 Yards 58.8 % 28 TDs 12 INT RAT 82.1

These numbers don't add up to wining games if the team is getting gashed on the ground and can't run the ball. Most of these yards will come from playing behind and Sam taking a beating.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-28-2013 at 02:07 PM.
    HUbison and lordwhttgr like this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Thursday's game was the first time I was really disappointed in Bradford. He had chances, but fell flat. If he has another horrible game against Jacksonville, I'll be worried, but I don't see that happening. The guy has always bounced back and I wouldn't expect anything else from him.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Maybe they should just abandon the idea of run first to set up the pass? Maybe they should go with the pass first personnel they have acquired and set up the run with the pass. You don't have to run the ball that much in this league. Heck, Martz proved that.

Obviously they are having a problem trying to run first. They don't have the right personnel. And now Fisher wants to change the offensive philosophy to run first? Hey Stupid, aren't you actually already doing this? The only time you have had success is when you have fallen behind and went to the quick tempo pass first game. When did this guy become a nut case?
    live4ramin likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I don't think the issue is Sam regressing as much as it is he simply hasn't progressed nearly enough for anybody to be thinking of signing him to an extention.

No sense continuing to make excuses for the guy, he's one of the highest paid players in the league and the highest paid Ram of all time.

It's time he silences all of us with his play regardless of the circumstances, because quite frankly, if this is his best, I'd rather see him walk than re-signed.

Now when I say that, I don't expect miracles out of the man. I just expect him to make all of the plays that are there to be made, maximize the plays that aren't there and take control of the game like a QB is supposed to do, instead of merely being just another player on the field.

I don't think that's too much to ask from somebody with a 78 million dollar contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Now when I say that, I don't expect miracles out of the man. I just expect him to make all of the plays that are there to be made, maximize the plays that aren't there and take control of the game like a QB is supposed to do, instead of merely being just another player on the field.

I don't think that's too much to ask from somebody with a 78 million dollar contract.
    Agreed. Bradford has had plenty of obstacles throughout his career, but when he gets opportunities to make something happen (Pettis wide open for a sure TD), he absolutely has to make them pay off.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Agreed. Bradford has had plenty of obstacles throughout his career, but when he gets opportunities to make something happen (Pettis wide open for a sure TD), he absolutely has to make them pay off.

Perhaps he was so agahst that a receiver was so wide open he lost his composure.....

macrammer is offline Registered User

Yes, Sam is ok...he is right on schedule after 4 years as a top draft pick. Who cares if he does not hit a wide open receiver when the team is counting on him to do so. Stuff happens.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Saw this and had to laugh. One of these days I'll figure out how to embed this stuff.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by DE_Ramfan; -09-28-2013 at 11:40 PM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well, at least there seems to be little doubt of who's the Ram in the hottest seat!

The one with the highest pay.

Truth is offline Registered User

Actually, the embedded .gif makes me feel better about Sam than most things I've seen or read lately. I agree with Fortuninerhater, I think the issue with Sam is less regression, and more lack of progression. I also think Sam might be able to learn and progress if he actually had a line that blocked. We've watched this before (Warner, Bulger), no blocking, QB keeps getting hit, skills and confidence begin to falter. Warner proved that he still had what it takes. Bulger's career was destroyed. Are we headed down that same path with Sam?? FIX THE LINE!!!
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

mh-i is offline Registered User

Here's the bottom line. Does Bradford have what it takes to be a Super Bowl winning QB FOR the Rams? No. When push comes to shove and the pressure is on he's a very average if not below average QB. During a playoff run Bradford would have to face teams with good defenses game after game. He'd never be able to get the team over that hump.

The excuses have been there's no running game (now), too much turn over at OC, no offensive line, no wide receivers. It never going to be about Sam Bradford? This season he looked good after the first quarter against AZ and Atlanta. However good that was he looked like one of the all-time worst QBs against Dallas and SF. That's not all on everybody else but him. He looked beaten. He didn't look like a leader or a winner.
    rNemesis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    When push comes to shove and the pressure is on he's a very average if not below average QB.
    Although it went a bit under the radar, Bradford began to show a penchant for coming through when the Rams needed it most in 2012. With the Rams in more close games last year, Bradford got better and better with victories on the line as the season went along.

When all was said and done, Bradford posted a rating of 92.7 in the fourth quarter of games still hanging in the balance and led the Rams to game-winning drives in fourth-quarter comebacks three times and engineered a comeback that led to a tie against San Francisco. That doesn't include a near-miss in last year's season opener in Detroit.
    IMO, Bradford has shown he can be a clutch performer. For me, he needs to show consistency, especially when those opportunities arise in the midst of a game where he is being harassed. He can't let adversity affect his judgement and execution.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

Too bad there wasn't any fwd thinking people saying not to draft Bradford and take Suh years ago. Oh wait, I did. Personally Bradford isn't the problem, whoever thinks he is doesn't have a clue IMO. Why was I against drafting Bradford, simply because I knew he would suffer a David Carr effect with lack of talent around him. The problem is the O.C., then the O-line. Bradford is accurate when he feels comfortable in the pocket, but that line is below avg, and I'd like to see 2 of the first 3 picks in next yrs draft go towards the OL, and another CB would be nice too. Since the line is shady its on the OC to help out with playcalling, the problem is that the play calling is absolutely horrible. They need to get Bradford in a shotgun with Richardson and Austin to his sides and Pettis in the slot with Givins and Quick out wide. Run dual screens to open up downfield passing game. This will keep LB's honest worries Richardson or Austin will get by them, and allow Bradford to see the field better.

The rams main problem is they aren't properly utilizing the talent of the team. This team has some serious speed at the skill positions, they need to quit throwing short, everything needs to be 7 yards or more, and completely ditch the dink and dunk crap that essentially nets the Rams 0-1 yard and lose a down each time. They need to freaking attack. Ugh, just typing is annoying me, as this team lacks attitude, how can they do it. Bradford telling B.S. that his play calling blows. Heck if Bradford was that bad as people are saying, he wouldn't be worth a damn in the hurry-up. Fact is, it was a huge loss for Bradford when Pat Shurmer left, and I said so when it happened. And here we are, right where I dreaded we would be with Bradford when we drafted him. The only thing that will save this team is to keep the playbook, but bring in an outside consultant to take over playcalling. When a team goes 9 games without scoring in the first quarter, that goes to a gameplanning problem. Screw B.S. he needs to lose his job at seasons end. Grrr, end rant.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast