Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Ram Bytes: The deterioration of Bradford

svh01 is offline Registered User

Re: Ram Bytes: The deterioration of Bradford

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    Too bad there wasn't any fwd thinking people saying not to draft Bradford and take Suh years ago. Oh wait, I did. Personally Bradford isn't the problem, whoever thinks he is doesn't have a clue IMO.
    I agree with you on the Suh pick. I didn't and still don't think Bradford is a #1 overall pick. I am still not sure Schotty is the problem. He's working with a bunch of young players at the skill positions and it takes time for them to learn and for the offense to gel. If we don't see any progress by mid season then we should starting looking at him then. How many easy passes has Austin dropped and that's not including his hesitation on the field.

Bradford has had the same issues for four years regardless of who our OC has been. What we have in him is a Shaub/Alex Smith level QB. He will never be elite. He will be serviceable. He doesn't take risk and to me I think it's because he lacks confidence. He's afraid to make a mistake. Great QB's believe EVERYTHING they throw will be complete and that passes on to there WRs. Sam has the physical ability but I think he lacks the mental make up.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

All this talk of Bradford "regressing" wasn't coming after the opening game against Arizona, or the Falcons game.

I look at the Rams games and I see the same things. No run game. No separation by WRs. No imagination in the play calling. No tricks with pre-snap movement to get key playmakers like Austin and Cook in space.
    I see no decent play on defense outside of a couple of players, with offenses able to move the ball and score easily. We have had very little in the way of turnovers and sacks when compared to last season, and the Rams only supposedly improved the talent on the D. We have also done nothing on special teams except get penalised.

I've said it a lot of time this season, but Bradford is very much the least of the Rams problems.

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Projected 4,372 Yards 58.8 % 28 TDs 12 INT RAT 82.1

Marc Bulger's career QB rating is 84.4. So you're telling me we drafted a younger Marc Bulger?

Truth is offline Registered User

What Brady has been able to do with a bunch of rookies and undrafted free agents really sheds a glaring light on how poor a job is being done in STL. Very sad.
    macrammer likes this.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Obviously an invisible running game has a lot to do with Bradford's poor play. How about the competition being a factor?

mh-i is offline Registered User

Atlanta is now 1-3 and Dallas, who lost to SD over the weekend, don't look all that great in the rear view mirror, especially on defense.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ljcrayton View Post
    Marc Bulger's career QB rating is 84.4. So you're telling me we drafted a younger Marc Bulger?
    These stats are for the year not his career, his numbers are not getting worse like the writer states.

Marc career is over Bradford's is not. If you are honest with yourselves you would agree Holt, Bruce and Marshal are just slightly a better group of skill players. In all fairness to Marc he was not asked to protect the ball in the system he played in, he often was told to force the ball down field. Now that might be something Sam needs to do more often.

Stone Cold Tavon Austin is offline Registered User

Bradford has a lot of flaws that can easily be fixed (stepping up in pocket, not using his eyes so much to give defenders a read, quicker drop back, etc.) but it seems no QB coach works on this. Even when I played in college under O'leary this was a main focus. It seems very basic, but when you watch the film you can see exactly who he has as his number 1 target every snap as well as the order of his check-downs. I understand I played and can spot things like this, but I cannot imagine NFL defenses cannot do the same.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Obviously an invisible running game has a lot to do with Bradford's poor play. How about the competition being a factor?
    There always seems to be a reason for Sam's lack of progression. My point in my last post was that good coaching, and smart QB play can make up for a lot of deficiencies. Don't get me wrong, I think our O-Line is playing like my son's pee-wee team. However, Sam and the coaches need to see this, and until they "get it fixed", they need to use different tactics. It's rare that Sam has the time (in the pocket) to wait for receivers to get open. Warner, and the Rams made a lot out of quick crossing routes, and YAC. We just traded up to get what most people believe was the most dynamic player in the draft. He seems like a good candidate to try the crossing patterns. We need to get the pressure off of the line, and Bradford. I'm not convinced Bradford is going to take us very far. However, he's not even getting a chance to try.

As for competition, we lost to the team that Brady just dimantled (with no-name rookies and undrafted FA's). The real issue is, how will the Rams perform against Jacksonville? If we play like we've played the last 3 weeks, we will lose. If that happens, major changes need to occur at Rams Park.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Sam Bradford is a QB with sufficient tools to win a Super Bowl if surrounded by the right cast. That puts him in the same category as guys like Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub, Andy Dalton, and many other good, but not truly "elite" QB talents.

As far as I'm concerned, the list of "elite" guys is pretty small. Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady... all on the list.

Then you have the "young guns" such as Andrew Luck, RGIII, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton and Colin Kaepernick. These are guys who can make things happen on their own due to their athleticism and running ability. Are any of them "elite" QBs, though? Not at this point. Luck looks like he might be, but he still makes mistakes. Wilson has that look as well, but he has the advantage of playing on a team with a great defense and running game (which is why he has the fewest passing attempts of any starting QB in the league). RGIII? I just don't think he can stay healthy. Newton and Kaepernick? Not convinced.

So... in the end, do you stick with a QB like Bradford, or do you reach for a potential "elite" player?

Ask me again in a three months.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    What Brady has been able to do with a bunch of rookies and undrafted free agents really sheds a glaring light on how poor a job is being done in STL. Very sad.
    What has he done exactly? His numbers are almost identical to Bradford's. The Patriots offense this year is middle of the road at best. What's keeping them in their games is their defense, which is 7th in the league.

58.8%, 1093 yards, 7 TDs, 3 ints.
    58.9%, 1014 yards, 7 TDs, 2 ints.

One is Brady, the other is Bradford.
    AvengerRam, Rambos and r8rh8rmike like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    What has he done exactly? His numbers are almost identical to Bradford's. The Patriots offense this year is middle of the road at best. What's keeping them in their games is their defense, which is 7th in the league.

58.8%, 1093 yards, 7 TDs, 3 ints.
    58.9%, 1014 yards, 7 TDs, 2 ints.

One is Brady, the other is Bradford.
    Good point Hub, add in the production from the backs yesterday. Blount had a TD and avg 7 yards per run. Ridley avg, 4.8 yards per touch and they had over 117 yards on the ground.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by svh01 View Post
    I agree with you on the Suh pick. I didn't and still don't think Bradford is a #1 overall pick. I am still not sure Schotty is the problem. He's working with a bunch of young players at the skill positions and it takes time for them to learn and for the offense to gel. If we don't see any progress by mid season then we should starting looking at him then. How many easy passes has Austin dropped and that's not including his hesitation on the field.

Bradford has had the same issues for four years regardless of who our OC has been. What we have in him is a Shaub/Alex Smith level QB. He will never be elite. He will be serviceable. He doesn't take risk and to me I think it's because he lacks confidence. He's afraid to make a mistake. Great QB's believe EVERYTHING they throw will be complete and that passes on to there WRs. Sam has the physical ability but I think he lacks the mental make up.
    That's really generous. Schaub has been leading a team to consistant play-off berths, and in the last few years so has Smith.
    I also was very vocal about drafting a QB that

1) came out of a "system" that had produced statistic crazy wonders like Hueple, and White- who won the Heisman no less and both couldnt cut in the NFL.

Others who come to note that were just like this come were Kingler and Ware during U of Houstons' run-n-shoot heydays
    and
    2) HARDLY PLAYED A DOWN IN 2009 because of a severe shoulder injury.

Even now with Suh character issues, I still would have rather have Suh.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Put Sam Bradford in an offense with Arian Foster, Ben Tate and Andre Johnson and I'm confident he'd have as much success as Schaub.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Put Sam Bradford in an offense with Arian Foster, Ben Tate and Andre Johnson and I'm confident he'd have as much success as Schaub.
    well we had Steven Jackson =P

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast