• 1 Post By macrammer
  • 1 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 2 Post By laram0
  • 3 Post By NJ Ramsfan1

Thread: Ram Bytes: Tom Brady, meet Sam Bradford

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Ram Bytes: Tom Brady, meet Sam Bradford

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    So how many times have you had this conversation? If Bradford had the playmakers that Tom Brady does he would be putting up much better numbers and results. Only to hear a response like, elite QBs make everyone better. It does not matter who is around the QB the great ones elevate the play of everyone.

This is usually hypothetical question that can never be answered, until this year anyways. In just one year Brady lost all his guys and now has Amendola and a bunch of average at best players. Sam does not have Brady old teammates, but he does have two of the best TEs in the NFL much like Brady had. He also has two very fast playmakers in Givens and Austin.

As I watched Brady against the Bills I could have sworn I was watching the Rams and Bradford. Time and time again Brady was CHECKING it down to Amendola. He locked onto him and forced it in there and DA made one great catch after another. When Brady went to someone else it was more often then not either dropped or a miscommunication that resulted in Brady getting frustrated.

I did not see a lot of the players playing great because of the QB.

Brady was 29 of 52 for an unimpressive 55.8 completion percentage. He had 288 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT. Which produced a very poor passer RAT 76.4. But the real eye opener is the 5.5 avg. per pass. Bradford in his rookie year was 5.79 per check down, or per pass.

These numbers are not even close to Bradyís career numbers. Sure its just one game but I really donít see how Brady could consistently put up elite QB numbers with his new cast. I can assure you that if DA misses say 6 games or so, it would not be pretty.Now these numbers are all above Bradfordís career numbers. The number that stands out is 7.9 per pass play. Itís amazing when you can hit a TE and have him run to daylight time and time again. Itís amazing when you can target a rookie WR with talent and he catches every ball that hits his hands. Itís amazing when a WR can force a defense into a soft coverage all day due to his deep ball skills. It also amazing that Bradford does not have the so called happy feet and the deer in the headlights look on his face because he knows heís going to get hit before his WR can uncover.
    You were there first Rambos !! Ever consider a career with the Post Dispatch?

Bernie Miklasz

Did you see Tom Brady having a fit during Thursday nightís game on the NFL Network?
    (Not only saw it, enjoyed it immensely)
    The acclaimed New England quarterback may have thrown more tantrums than completed passes in the teamís ugly 13-10 win over the NY Jets.

This display was enlightening.

And hopefully it was educational for some Rams fans.

Brady is among the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history Ö but even the best quarterbacks need quality receivers.

The Patriotsí two rookie wide receivers (Aaron Dobson, Kenbrell Thompkins) dropped passes, ran the wrong routes, and had Brady barking.

With slot receiver Danny Amendola out because of an injury ó shocking, right? ó Brady had only one reliable receiver in Julian Edelman.

Edelman isnít a threat to beat anyone deep, and he's an OK possession receiver. But Brady was so frustrated with the rookies and desperate to complete a pass that targeted the extra-busy Edelman 18 times.

When Brady targeted a receiver other than Edelman, he completed only 6 of 21 passes.

No wonder the Patriots had more punts than first downs.

Through two games Brady ranks 24th among NFL quarterbacks with a 74.1 passer rating and is 30th with his average of 5.2 yards per attempt.

Now Brady understands what it must have been like to be Sam Bradford from 2010 and 2011 and through much of 2012.

Welcome to Samís previous world, Tom.

It isn't much fun.

I was always astounded by the bizarre opinions of the serial Bradford haters who dismissed the significance of having effective receivers.

Itís just plain silly to pretend that it doesnít matter.

And while Bradford is no Brady and obviously could have done a lot of things better in his first three seasons, he was limited by the contingent of mostly pedestrian wide receivers. And stymied by the revolving door of receivers. I'm surprised that Bradford played as decently as he did.

Look at our friend Kurt Warner.

Kurt had amazing success, shredded NFL defenses and won a Super Bowl during his partnership with WRs Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt in St. Louis. In Arizona, Warner connected with the sensational WR Larry Fitzgerald, rolled up big numbers, and led the Cardinals to a Super Bowl.

In New York, Warner wasnít nearly as effective when he worked with ordinary WRs such as Amani Toomer, Ike Hilliard and Tim Carter.

Gee, that must have been a coincidence.

When a quarterback doesnít have weapons, his play will suffer.

Thatís just common sense.

And Brady suffered plenty Thursday night, repeatedly showing his displeasure by screaming at his receivers, making angry gestures, and looking like a brat as he sat fuming on the bench.

But receivers donít matter, right?

Right.

Brady may have to cope with this for a while.

The Patriots inexplicably shooed away Bradyís best and favorite receiver, Wes Welker, after last season. After the Pariots showed no interest in keeping him, the perplexed Welker left as a free agent and signed with Denver.

It was a strange move; not only did this weaken the Patriots offense by removing Bradyís go-to receiver, but Welker hopped into Peyton Manningís huddle to strengthen an already formidable passing attack in Denver.

It would be one thing if Welker signed with an NFC team, but the Broncos are a prime AFC contender and a direct threat to the Patriots in the AFC.

The Patriots believed Amendola could be the Welker II. But as the Rams and their fans know, for all of his virtues Amendola canít stay on the field because of frequent injuries.

Bradford was a better quarterback when Amendola played, but Amendola played in only 28 of 48 games in Bradfordís first three seasons.

Brady relied heavily on Amendola in the close opening-season win at Buffalo. But now Amendolaís latest injury, a strained groin, could keep him sidelined for several weeks.

In the first game without Amendola, Brady didnít have any attractive options against the Jets. And we saw the results Ö just as we saw the difference when Bradford didnít have Amendola available.

But this isn't just about Amendola being out. Brady doesn't have his preferred tight end, the superb but injured Rob Gronkowski. Another playmaking tight end, Aaron Hernandez, is in jail, awaiting trial on murder charges. That leaves Brady having one of Bradford's former tight ends, Michael Hoomanawanui, as his top tight end.

But tight ends don't matter either, right? Obviously, there will be no difference in Bradford's play now that he has Jared Cook running wild at tight end.

(Pardon my sarcasm. )

Bradyís in-game rants drew the ire of the NFL Networkís Michael Irvin, the Hall of Fame wide receiver. Irvin said Brady had to be patient and more supportive of the young wideouts.

Brady didnít dispute that. ďI've got to do a better job with my body language,Ē he told reporters after the game. ďI can definitely improve on that. I wouldn't say that's a real strong point of mine right now.Ē

Brady later added that the rookie WRs are ďgood kidsĒ who are working hard to improve.

Those receivers will get better, and so will the Patriotsí offense ó especially if Brady stops hollering at the "good kids" and embarrassing them on national cable TV.

But at least for the first two weeks of the season Tom Brady got a chance to see how other, less fortunate quarterbacks live Ö including Sam Bradford.

Thanks for reading ...

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    It's just 2 games for Brady and 1 for Bradford, so we'll have to see how this plays out, but I'm expecting to see Sam steadily improve, and our friend Tom continue to be mired in frustration.
    MauiRam likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Re: Ram Bytes: Tom Brady, meet Sam Bradford

Even with all of that.....Pats are 2-0. Won Loss record is most important.........Rams have a great opportunity this Sunday. Atlanta has not lost to Rams in the Georgia Dome since 2001. Falcons are universally thought to be genuine play-off candidate. Opportunity is knocking..... Can't wait to see what transpires
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Even with all of that.....Pats are 2-0. Won Loss record is most important.........Rams have a great opportunity this Sunday. Atlanta has not lost to Rams in the Georgia Dome since 2001. Falcons are universally thought to be genuine play-off candidate. Opportunity is knocking..... Can't wait to see what transpires
    That 2-0 record is HIGHLY suspect. The officials turned a first and goal into a FG attempt (that was good) becaused they used replay (that never showed the ball touching the turf) to negate a TD. They got it half right. It was a completed catch, but outside the endzone. A completed catch the was two yards further than the distance to make. Should have been fist and goal at the 1/2 yard mark.

The officials also change the rule from 'two feet down' to 'two steps' when they ruled a completed pass and fumble (recovered by the Jets in at least FG position) as an incomplete pass. These two blatantly wrong (both used IR to try to get it right, so there is no excuse) calls totally changed the outcome of the second "win".

I didn't watch the whole Bills game, and the cheatroits earned the game winning score, but the officials gave them a time cushion by stopping the clock when a WR was tackled about 6" inside the field. The official came runing up, waving his hands to stop the clock, when he had a perfect view of the tackle to see that the WR was in bounds. Clock should have ran. If the officials gave them this help here, and knowing the history of the officials helping the cheatroits win games, I high doubt they earned the win against the Bills.

gap

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I wouldn't want any of these guys as my featured receivers, but I think it's safe to say that Donnie Avery, Danario Alexander, Brandon Gibson, Brandon Lloyd and Laurent Robinson are head and shoulders above the collection of garbage Tom Brady was throwing to the other night. The fact they're 2-0 speaks volumes about Brady and his team. Far be it from me to defend NE, but it's only fair when pointing out why Brady was fired up.

If Fisher and Snead drafted well- and we're hopeful they did- Bradford now has some legitimate targets on offense. A much truer and objective view of his abilities will be determined by season's end.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -09-14-2013 at 07:23 PM.
    macrammer likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not giving the 2-0 Patriots any credit. They played the Bills and the Jets who both started rookie QB's. Not to mention neither team is considered a playoff contender. The AFC East is the weakest division in the NFL and the Patriots continue to get a free ride to the playoffs.
    r8rh8rmike and gap like this.

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

I understand where you coming from with Brady feeling Bradfords pain. Honestly, as soon as Amendola went out, I truly did feel like I was watching a Ram game. There are still two key points to that game you are missing. They still won and Brady didn't have 8 people in the box with an all-star running back.

Great QB's find a way to win with anyone. I mean seriously, did anyone know who Jericho Cotchery was before Brett Favre? Yes, it was great to finally have that scenerio play out with another QB, but all it did for me was prove that the QB play can make the difference in a W or L. No offense to Bradford, but the 2010-2012 Rams would've lose that game and Bradford would not have had two TD throws. Yes, Bradford is not Tom Brady, but he is earning that $50 million. This WILL be his breakout year as long as our recievers stay healthy.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ljcrayton View Post
    I understand where you coming from with Brady feeling Bradfords pain. Honestly, as soon as Amendola went out, I truly did feel like I was watching a Ram game. There are still two key points to that game you are missing. They still won and Brady didn't have 8 people in the box with an all-star running back.

Great QB's find a way to win with anyone. I mean seriously, did anyone know who Jericho Cotchery was before Brett Favre? Yes, it was great to finally have that scenerio play out with another QB, but all it did for me was prove that the QB play can make the difference in a W or L. No offense to Bradford, but the 2010-2012 Rams would've lose that game and Bradford would not have had two TD throws. Yes, Bradford is not Tom Brady, but he is earning that $50 million. This WILL be his breakout year as long as our recievers stay healthy.
    The 2012 RAMS would not have had the benefit of a clear fumble (in FG Range) returned to them, nor a not so clear (but IR couldn't reverse) opponent's first and goal at the .5 turned into an incomplete pass.

The officials and an inexperience Jets team won that game for the cheatroits. They did not earn it.

gap

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I wouldn't want any of these guys as my featured receivers, but I think it's safe to say that Donnie Avery, Danario Alexander, Brandon Gibson, Brandon Lloyd and Laurent Robinson are head and shoulders above the collection of garbage Tom Brady was throwing to the other night. The fact they're 2-0 speaks volumes about Brady and his team. Far be it from me to defend NE, but it's only fair when pointing out why Brady was fired up.

If Fisher and Snead drafted well- and we're hopeful they did- Bradford now has some legitimate targets on offense. A much truer and objective view of his abilities will be determined by season's end.
    This post is so wrong in so many ways, I don't know where to start. In fact, instead of coming to a ridiculous conclusion, based on an incredibly stupid supposition, I'm going to do some digging tomorrow and list how often Bradford had this amazing group of receivers available period, let alone at the same time.

And, oh my god, 2-0 against the Bills and Jets, both starting rookie QBS, by a total of 6 points. Actually, you're right, it DOES speak volumes.
    You need to find a team yo root for.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    This post is so wrong in so many ways, I don't know where to start. In fact, instead of coming to a ridiculous conclusion, based on an incredibly stupid supposition, I'm going to do some digging tomorrow and list how often Bradford had this amazing group of receivers available period, let alone at the same time.

And, oh my god, 2-0 against the Bills and Jets, both starting rookie QBS, by a total of 6 points. Actually, you're right, it DOES speak volumes.
    You need to find a team yo root for.
    I never said Bradford had all of them at once. And if you want to waste your beautiful Sunday digging through the achives in an attempt to engage in a stupid, back and forth exchange with me about who played together what games in what year, knock yourself out, although this post will represent my last words on the subject. Simply put, Brady deserves credit for helping his team win a game with absolutely no help other than Julian Edelman- who himself is average at best. To deny him that is wrong. And to read into that praise as some kind of knock on Bradford is equally wrong.

In my book, a win is a win- doesn't matter if it is ugly, if it is over a team starting a rookie QB or it's against a team with a losing record. To not give credit to a team that wins a game is as juvenile as your response. Think anyone would discount the Rams if they beat Atlanta 7-3 tomorrow? Would us being 2-0 not count? Did our wins vs. divisional opponents not count the year a 7-9 team won a dreadful NFC West? A win is a win. Give credit where credit is due.

You know what else? I can be a fervent fan of a team and still have the good grace to recognize achievement from someone else. If you are unable to do that, it's to your discredit. Only a shameless homer would attempt to discount Tom Brady's achievements. He found a way to win with a collection of 3rd stringers and riff-raff. I can't stand New England, but to try and cheapen the guy's accomplishments be it vs. the Jets or whomever is ridiculous.

Bernie's article states the obvious- a good QB can't do it alone. Hopefully with a collection of promising wide outs and new acquisitions, Bradford won't have to.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I'm not giving the 2-0 Patriots any credit. They played the Bills and the Jets who both started rookie QB's. Not to mention neither team is considered a playoff contender. The AFC East is the weakest division in the NFL and the Patriots continue to get a free ride to the playoffs.
    We will see at years end. Time will tell. Trust me, I would love to see the Pats finish 2-14. But whether we think they are righteous wins or not, if "we" don't give credit or not.....NFL does. I believe losing breeds losing and winning vice versa. I am hopeful the Rams fulfill the latter of this scenario beginning tomorrow.

ramstough39 is offline Registered User

I never said Bradford had all of them at once. And if you want to waste your beautiful Sunday digging through the achives in an attempt to engage in a stupid, back and forth exchange with me about who played together what games in what year, knock yourself out, although this post will represent my last words on the subject. Simply put, Brady deserves credit for helping his team win a game with absolutely no help other than Julian Edelman- who himself is average at best. To deny him that is wrong. And to read into that praise as some kind of knock on Bradford is equally wrong.

In my book, a win is a win- doesn't matter if it is ugly, if it is over a team starting a rookie QB or it's against a team with a losing record. To not give credit to a team that wins a game is as juvenile as your response. Think anyone would discount the Rams if they beat Atlanta 7-3 tomorrow? Would us being 2-0 not count? Did our wins vs. divisional opponents not count the year a 7-9 team won a dreadful NFC West? A win is a win. Give credit where credit is due.

You know what else? I can be a fervent fan of a team and still have the good grace to recognize achievement from someone else. If you are unable to do that, it's to your discredit. Only a shameless homer would attempt to discount Tom Brady's achievements. He found a way to win with a collection of 3rd stringers and riff-raff. I can't stand New England, but to try and cheapen the guy's accomplishments be it vs. the Jets or whomever is ridiculous.

Bernie's article states the obvious- a good QB can't do it alone. Hopefully with a collection of promising wide outs and new acquisitions, Bradford won't have to.
    Of all the 8+ years I've been here, this is one of the best posts I've ever read on this site. Well said. Nobody said a football game has to be pretty. Would Joe Montana do better with the Patriots' current active receiving staff? What about Dan Marino? Unanswerable hypothetical questions, sure, but the level of disdain among our fellow fans turns into bitterness fairly quickly. SBXXXVI still hurts to think about, but I don't discredit Brady one bit. He'd have five Super Bowl rings if it weren't for his defense (and Wes Welker's dropped pass in the recent attempt) letting him down.

10m39s80i81t is offline Registered User

"With slot receiver Danny Amendola out because of an injury ó shocking, right? ó Brady had only one reliable receiver in Julian Edelman.''

Wow< this part confuses me the most about the patriots. Why trade an injury prone (real) Welker for an even more injury prone Welker comparison....... Because they bank on Brady! Belicheat is maybe starting to realize he doesn't have a peyton manning and even the pretty-haired Tom Brady cant do it alone. There just simply has to balance. NO quarterback can do it alone! although, Peyton comes close.
    Last edited by 10m39s80i81t; -09-15-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: forgot quotes

Rambos is offline Registered User

You make is sound as if Bradford had all these guys at the same time. When healthy Bradford had success with Donnie Avery until he was lost early for one season. DX and Bradford hooked up on many big plays BUT DX much like DA was often hurt. Bradford was playing through a high ankle sprain and was not even practicing during the week when he Rams brought in Lloyd. Talk about mission impossible, Sam was in a walking boot all week and then played without any real timing with Lloyd but still made some plays. Laurent Robinson not sure what the deal is with him, he left here and had a nice year now not sure where he is... Gibby got better every year, to be honest I wish he was our number two over Pettis right now.

Bottom line is Sam has had a ton players come through here and other issues to deal with. That said all of them are in the past now.

If Fisher and Snead drafted well- and we're hopeful they did- Bradford now has some legitimate targets on offense. A much truer and objective view of his abilities will be determined by season's end
    Agreed he has a very good group on paper, he needs to make it a realty.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

A win is a win is a win, but IMO, Brady did not find a way to beat the Jets, the new England defense did, allowing only 10 points to a team forced to start a rookie QB. The way I see it, Brady was just along for the ride.