View Poll Results: What should the Rams do with the xtra cap money?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trade for a big name WR

17 25.00%
  • Sign some veteran FAs

11 16.18%
  • Resign some of our players who will be FAs next year

18 26.47%
  • Save it to sign talented FAs that fill big needs next year

19 27.94%
  • Other. Explain.

3 4.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Ram current salary cap and what to do with it

As of Aprill 22 we had $10.67 million in salary cap space. Add to that the $2.25 million gained from cutting Pisa and somewhere around $300,000 gained from trading Leonard, then subtract $6 million that will be spent on rookie contracts we have around $7.22 million in cap space left.

The question is, what do we do with it?

Trade for a big name WR who is unhappy with his current situation?

Sign some veteran FAs to help provide some depth and experience to some of our weaker areas?

Save it to sign some of our players who will be free agents next year? That list includes: Kyle Boller, Antonio Pittman, Chris Massey, Joe Klopfenstein, Randy McMichael, Richie Incognito, Alex Barron, Victor Adeyanju, Leonard Little, Clifton Ryan, Claude Wroten, Chris Draft, Jonathan Wade.

Save it to sign talented FAs that fill big needs next year?

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Re: Ram current salary cap and what to do with it

I say we spend it on a deal to get tom petty to open up for every home game.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I voted to save it. There is no one out there that is worth wasting it on IMO, and it'd be nice to not be so strapped for cash next year when free agency starts.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

use it this year..the salary cap will change next year and every year players leave so more space will be made from that too...

i say go for D.J. Hackett at WR, a veteran WCO wideout and only 28!

Marcus Washington to play the "SAM"!

and then sign O.J long term which will in itself clear up more cap space which can then be spent on a DT..perhaps Dewayne Robertson.
    im not convinced a player like Orien Harris who has been on the roster of 5 teams in 4 years is a lockdown for a final 53 roster spot and even if he turns out to make it..4 DT`s is hardly overkill when you consider it`ll consist of a rarely played 4 year "vet" and a 4th round rookie,so i dont think we set at DT just yet.

Wroten im not including in the DT rotation because its just a matter of time before he goes IMHO..
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -05-10-2009 at 06:33 PM.

dvbear55 is offline Registered User

I do like Marcus Washington, but he has been battling wing injuries for a while now. Thats why I think we should go for Brooks

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Save save save. I'm thinking that a new CBA will be reached within the next twelve months and we won't have an uncapped year next year. If this happens, the last thing we want is to be as strapped for cash as we were at the end of this season. IMO, it's all about next year. As much as I'd like it to happen, I don't think one great offseason is quite enough to turn this ship around. If we get to go through the motions of drafting high, signing one or two big name free agents and re-signing some of our best and brightest for one more year then so be it.

I think 2009 will be all about seeing what we can do in 2010.

Ramer is offline Registered User

Save it. lets see how we do in 09 & go after some big names in 2010.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Pay the IRS!!!

lockin' up Atogwe doesn't sound like a bad idea~

Ramblitz28 is offline Registered User

I say save it. Were probably gonna need the money for Sam Bradford if Bulger takes as many hits as he did last season. He's catching the "David Carr Syndrome" and won't be around much longer if he doesn't have a productive season.

tdog08 is offline Registered User

There probably wpn't be no salery cap next year

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

No reason to let it just sit there doing nothing. Get someone but sign them to a one year deal. We then use the money we have now but are able to get it back next year.

I don't mind using it to resign but my list is much shorter...

Kyle Boller, Randy McMichael, Richie Incognito, Alex Barron, Victor Adeyanju, or Clifton Ryan.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    No reason to let it just sit there doing nothing. Get someone but sign them to a one year deal. We then use the money we have now but are able to get it back next year.

I don't mind using it to resign but my list is much shorter...

Kyle Boller, Randy McMichael, Richie Incognito, Alex Barron, Victor Adeyanju, or Clifton Ryan.
    id be fine with that list..but both Richie & Alex need to step up first ..it would be cheaper to sign them now incase their stock rises in an improved line but if we sign them now and they dont step it up that would be more costly.

also gotta add Chris Massey to that list ..as Long Snappers go there is no better in the NFL ...IMHO

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I hope the Rams don't rush to resign OJ right now with the money. Wait and see how he fits into their new scheme and see if he holds up through the season.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I hope the Rams don't rush to resign OJ right now with the money. Wait and see how he fits into their new scheme and see if he holds up through the season.
    That's how i was leaning at first. but the only thing keeping Atogwe on this team is the franchise tag. He has no contract with the Rams. So at the end of this season, again, Rams are gonna be in the same boat they were this offseason: trying to keep him on the team. You don't franchise someone unless you're sure they're worth being paid in the top 5 of their position... in my mind, that means you only franchise someone you want on your team for the long haul.

This past year, everyone critisized how the old FO DIDN'T do what they should have done in locking up Bartell and Atogwe. Waiting guarantees the Rams will be in the same position again. Signing him to a contract guarantees some control over how much he counts towards the cap this year and subsequent years of the contract (if the cap exists), and frees up the franchise designation

I'm not trying to belittle your position. its just that the more i thought of the "wait and see" approach... the more I felt like 'that's exactly what Zygmunt and Shaw would do!!!'

go rams

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I say we use it, only for the right player`s though. Going into the season as of today, leaves me worried, and even with the addition of a couple of new players this year is going to be about damage limatation and preparing for the future.
    Their isnt any need for hasty decisions, some of you are going to have to grin and bear it unfortunately. PLEASE BE PATIENT!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast