View Poll Results: Which Ram needs to "win over" Rams fans?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marc Bulger

3 5.45%
  • Steven Jackson

19 34.55%
  • Richie Incognito

6 10.91%
  • Jimmy Kennedy

16 29.09%
  • Will Witherspoon

3 5.45%
  • Tye Hill

1 1.82%
  • Other (list below)

7 12.73%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Which Ram really needs to "win over" Rams fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Are the offensive linemen, tight ends, and fullbacks in the hot seat as well then? Because if I were picking the reason Jackson couldn't run against the Chiefs, it would be blocking issues. You make it sound like Jackson had clear holes and just didn't hit them. Yes, Jackson was ineffective. And yes, Jackson needs to be able to run the ball. But it's not just Steven Jackson that is responsible for making that happen. More often than not, it's what's happening in front of him to create that room to run.

If someone wants to criticism Jackson for missing a hole or not making a clear cutback, okay. At least that's a criticism of something Jackson can control. But to say Jackson is the one who needs to prove something to you when he's not getting the room to run is a misplacement of blame, IMO. And against the Chiefs, there was no where to go.
    Nick, you are making a big stand for Jackson. You must think he has some talent.

Yes the lineman, tight ends, lead blockers (did they even give him a lead blocker?), and fullbacks are also in the hot seat. I realize they are a complete set and they need to work together. I am not really trying to pin this one on Jackson, but his production is what is apparent in the end. By all means let's throw all the guys that make the running game in the hot seat. Can they perform?

I'll revise my statement then and put the players that need to make the running game come alive on my list of players that need to "win me over".

So the list is a little larger now, and we have a big game coming up for them, giving them a chance to prove something.

Bring on the running game. :l

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Nice way to set up Steven Jackson, Avenger. This is obviously a no brainer.

To my knowledge, Jackson is the only one replacing an instant Hall of Famer.

So for that reason alone, he is the one on the hot seat.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I'd say Jimmy Kennedy, he was drafted higher than Jackson and hasn't done anything since then compared to Jackson. He's had 10 TDs and 1400 Total yards last year.
    RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    Nick, you are making a big stand for Jackson. You must think he has some talent.
    It just bugs me when the struggles of one aspect of our offense is pinned on one person. When Jackson makes mistakes or misses holes that are there, I'll be on his back about it like others will be. But being his own run blocker is not a job Jackson should take heat for.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Why donít you allow people to put any criticism on Jacksons performance. You always bringing up the rest of the people responsible for his failures they are already well noted. We have all said there are other problems in the running game with others blocking. But we have all seen problems with Jacksons blocking in the passing game and we have all seen problems in his decision making which along with the OL and other blockers helped him lead the league in stuffed runs. Normally power backs don't get the big yardage but they get positive yardage. You can blame everyone else but Jackson is a big contributor in the running game with his decision making and he is a big contributor in the passing game protecting the QB both has been noted by several different sources as places he has struggled. I hope he steps it up and he will need to back up all his talking and sign hanging or the fans will not be happy. No one likes a player that complains and draws attention to his self then donít put up the numbers.

You said the following about Incognito:

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Some have already proclaimed Richie as a future Pro Bowler and very good starter for years to come in this league.
    Over the last two years I have heard this more about Jackson. We have not even begun to see his play catch up with his talking.

I like Incognito but he was a third round pick starting in his first ever game. That is a lot different then a first round pick in his third year. I will reserve any negative judgment on his play until after the season he is in his first year.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN View Post
    Why donít you allow people to put any criticism on Jacksons performance. You always bringing up the rest of the people responsible for his failures they are already well noted. We have all said there are other problems in the running game with others blocking. But we have all seen problems with Jacksons blocking in the passing game and we have all seen problems in his decision making which along with the OL and other blockers helped him lead the league in stuffed runs. Normally power backs don't get the big yardage but they get positive yardage. You can blame everyone else but Jackson is a big contributor in the running game with his decision making and he is a big contributor in the passing game protecting the QB both has been noted by several different sources as places he has struggled. I hope he steps it up and he will need to back up all his talking and sign hanging or the fans will not be happy. No one likes a player that complains and draws attention to his self then donít put up the numbers.

You said the following about Incognito:

Over the last two years I have heard this more about Jackson. We have not even begun to see his play catch up with his talking.

I like Incognito but he was a third round pick starting in his first ever game. That is a lot different then a first round pick in his third year. I will reserve any negative judgment on his play until after the season he is in his first year.
    agreed,jackson hung himself out to dry,its one thing to think your going to rush for alot of yards,its another to say it,he looks to me like he learned nothing from faulk,how to run,block,put the team first and talk to reporters.i like jackson,i also think he can do great things,but do them first then talk about them to everyone,the fans will be watching him closely.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Why donít you allow people to put any criticism on Jacksons performance.
    What are you talking about? I didn't say one word to Fat Pang, JK, or you about your criticisms of Jackson, so obviously I'm allowing people to criticise on him.

The only thing I spoke up about was Utter's specific comments about the Chiefs game and Jackson's performance in it, simply because Jackson had no blocking that game. This was reported by multiple fans post-game, not just me.

This idea that I won't allow anyone to criticise Jackson is as ridiculous as it is inaccurate. I would suggest you go back and re-read my posts, because you would see the following two statements:

"If someone wants to criticism Jackson for missing a hole or not making a clear cutback, okay. At least that's a criticism of something Jackson can control."

"When Jackson makes mistakes or misses holes that are there, I'll be on his back about it like others will be."
    Maybe it's easier to just assume what my position is instead of actually reading my posts and finding out, I don't know... :x

We have all said there are other problems in the running game with others blocking.
    Well, Utter didn't in the post I responded to, which is why I replied. Seems pretty simple to me. If Utter had mentioned something in that post about blocking, I likely would not have said anything.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RealRam is offline Registered User

VOTE: J. Kennedy

Young man, IT'S YOUR TIME

SHOWTIME

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Marc Bulger - It starts from the top, the Quarterback must be the Field General. Most teams are identified and lead by their QB (i.e. Peyton Manning/Colts, Bret Farve/Packers, Michael Vick/Falcons, Tom Brady/Patriots...). For Bulger, the past two seasons have been hampered by injuries and this year he's without his handy 'Mike Martz' playbook.
    Marc can win over Ramfans by staying healthy, leading a strong balanced offensive attack and keeping the turnovers to a minimum.
    This is Marc Bulgers' time to shine, with a talented supporting cast, he should lead the Saint Louis Rams successfully through the 2006 season.

Marc Bulger (10) - Field General (QB)
    (6' 3", 215 lbs, 4/5/77 dob, 5yrs exp, WEST VIRGINIA)

BULGERS' SOLDIERS
    RB - Steven Jackson (39), Stephen Davis (48)
    FB - Paul Smith (31), Madison Hedgecock (44)
    WR - Torry Holt (81), Isaac Bruce (80), Shaun McDonald (84), Kevin Curtis (83)
    TE - Joe Klopfenstein (82), Dominique Byrd (86)
    OT- Orlando Pace (76), Alex Barron (70), Todd Steussie (79)
    OG- Richie Incognito (68), Adam Timmerman (62)
    C - Andy McClollum (67)
    PK - Jeff Wilkins (14)
    P - Matt Turk (1)

FIGHT ON, RAMS!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    The one person who must win over the fans is not a player, but Head Coach Linehan. He has a lot of obstacles he must overcome, many of which are not under his control...The first hurdle he had to clear was the "soap opera", ending the drama and balancing the situation to keep both the front office and the fans happy. He had to do something about the D. Exit Marmie, enter Haslett. Roster moves. New schemes.

A lot of work done, and the dome isn't sold out yet. That means there is a lot more work to do. If he can do it, there will be a two-year wait for a tailgating spot in the parking lot...

Agree. I also voted other with Linehan in mind.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Right or wrong, Jackson has become the focal point of fan expectations. It's obvious to me after the numerous Jackson debates that it's all about what he has said as opposed to what he has done. Considering last years absolute disarray on the offensive line, the revolving quarterback situation and complete team chaos, I was very satisfied with what he accomplished.

My vote goes to Jimmy Kennedy. Year after year he's been expected to improve and finally reach his potential, and every year he comes up short. With the DL so critical to fixing a horrible defense and major obstacle to any team success, as RealRam put it, his time is now.

Had Steven Jackson not opened his mouth maybe my vote would've been Kennedy.

But with what he has said, he has put himself in a position where Ram fans will be lying in wait to pounce on him every time he misses a block or hole. To say nothing of the fumbles he'll undoubtedly have.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

I'm with Sam on this one. It is definately Linehan. While I agree that Kennedy needs to play to his potential and Jackson needs to back up his mouth and ego, it is Linehan that must win over the fans and gain their support. In this day and age "of what have you done for me lately." fans have little patience and a short memory. If fans are looking for GSOT II, then they may be disappointed. What they should get, IMO, is a more methodical approach with a balanced attack on offense. Will fans be disappointed in this very thing that they have been calling for?? Will they cry, "Why don't we pass more?" Who knows, but this will be the challenge before our new coach. He must win them over with his approach to the game and make them forget the high flying circus of the past. Time will tell and wins will make all of the difference.

:l
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

I think had Avenger included the "coaching staff" in his original post, we would've all likely picked Linehan. But since he said "ram player", Linehan doesn't qualify.

maineram is offline Registered User

My vote is for Kennedy. He is the centerpiece of our defense, and needs to start playing like a run stuffer in the middle. Flashes of great play needs to be replaced with steady performance.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast