Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saint Nick is offline Registered User

Ram, Saints feud

A great article that expresses my sentiments about the greatest divisional rivalry of the last two season this side of Raiders/Broncos.

http://www.nolalive.com/saints/t-p/i.../deshaz25.html

Rams, Saints have developed nasty feud fast

10/25/01

By John DeShazier
    Staff writer/The Times-Picayune

After the bell rang to signal the end of the third and final showdown, one contender lamented that the decision would've been different if time hadn't run out, while the other suggested that two knockdowns equals a knockout.

That's about what you'd expect when it's clear each team would rather swim naked with piranha than face up to a loss.

It's a kind of spirited, deep-down dislike that rears its head only on occasion in the NFL. Sunday, when the Saints and Rams mix it up in St. Louis, will be one of those times.

"(Saints coach) Jim (Haslett) and I are very competitive people," Rams coach Mike Martz said. "Whenever you play another good team within the division like that, it's gonna be hot."

Not just hot. Lava hot.

The kind of bitterness that usually takes years to develop blossomed in one for the Saints and Rams. Last year the Saints won two of three games between the teams en route to ending St. Louis' reign as division and Super Bowl champs. The clincher came in the Superdome, a 31-28 thrilling Saints victory in a wild-card game.

Amid the three scrums (the Saints won the first 31-24 in St. Louis; the Rams the second 26-21 in New Orleans) there was enough trash talk, big hits and cheap shots to give each a healthy respect for the other.

But, certainly, there is no love.

From the Rams' view, a snot-nosed upstart had the audacity to challenge and prance without possessing any bona fide claim to supremacy. From New Orleans' corner, each Saints victory was downplayed by the Rams, attributed to internal breakdowns rather than a superior opponent.

For the rest of us . . . hey, sit back and enjoy it. These kinds of passionate bouts don't appear every week.

These are the games worth watching, even though the Saints (3-2) are sputtering, the Rams (6-0) are surging and a St. Louis victory could do irreparable damage to the Saints' hopes of defending their NFC West crown.

Circumstances don't figure to mean much once heads start cracking Sunday.

"Look at the games last year," said linebacker Charlie Clemons, who helped the Rams win Super Bowl XXXIV, before a Saints-Rams rivalry existed, and moved to the Saints as a free-agent pickup last year.

"I think they felt we were one of the teams they could just beat up," Clemons said. "We went in there, and I think we just took their hearts. With that, I think you develop a bitterness."

Consider it fully developed, aided by differences -- erroneous perceptions or facts -- that run from top to bottom.

Martz is seen as an offensive whiz. Haslett earned his skins as a defensive mastermind. St. Louis has been labeled a "finesse," white-gloved team. The Saints fancy themselves a physical, dirt-under-the-nails group.

Opposites, in this case, do not attract.

"I think part of it was Haslett was a first-year head coach (last season)," said Rams linebacker Mark Fields, a Saint from 1995 to 2000. "You want to do well, and we had some success. The way they were so potent on offense, and he's a defensive coach, he wanted to shut that down."

"I think it's a competition thing (with Haslett)," Martz said of the joust between head coaches. "Two highly competitive people.

"I met Jim in Chicago at one of the coaching seminars. We sat down and had lunch, and he's a good guy. But when two teams are good, competition changes things."

Sometimes they reach a boiling point, like when Rams running back Marshall Faulk slugged Saints cornerback Kevin Mathis during St. Louis' victory because Faulk surmised the Saints had been a little too saucy on a takedown.

"Now that we've beaten them twice, we've got the belt now," Mathis said. "They want it back."

The Round 1 bell is set for noon Sunday. Blows to commence immediately after.

RAMble On is offline Registered User
    Great article. I will be in New Orleans for the Monday night game, my wife loves the city. It will be interesting being a Rams fan in the superdome considering the rivalry. Especially if the division isn't locked up.
    The Spartan General-King Leonidas shouted "Molon Labe" to the Persian King Xerxes, when Xerxes offered to spare the lives of Leonidas, and his people if they would lay down their arms. The phrase literally means, "Come and get them"... At the time, the Persian army outnumbered the Spartans 600,000 to 300, or 2,000-1.

Originally posted by RAMble On
    Great article. I will be in New Orleans for the Monday night game, my wife loves the city. It will be interesting being a Rams fan in the superdome considering the rivalry. Especially if the division isn't locked up.
    Me too!

That's kinda close to our anniversery also, so we're making a weekend out of it.

Let's try to hook up before the game at the Gridiron or something.

Sweet!

I still havn't got the game tickets, any advice? Plane tickets and hotel are taken care of.

I understand Christmas in New Orleans is awesome. We were there a couple years ago for a week and had a great time.

Pat O's, Antiones, Pat O's, Preservation Hall, Pat O's, Cafe DuMonde, Pat O's
    The Spartan General-King Leonidas shouted "Molon Labe" to the Persian King Xerxes, when Xerxes offered to spare the lives of Leonidas, and his people if they would lay down their arms. The phrase literally means, "Come and get them"... At the time, the Persian army outnumbered the Spartans 600,000 to 300, or 2,000-1.

This article has been posted before, it is a great article.

Sorry to Saint Nick for locking the thread, I though I had posted this in the articles section but never. :mask:

Muad'Dib is offline Registered User

I will also be at the MNF game.

And I'll be looking for you in the Gridiron before the game!!!
    (Hi Santa!)
    Fear is the mind killer.

Sweet!

I still havn't got the game tickets, any advice?
    Do you mean getting the tix...or seating?

One thing I'm gonna do is show my wife the Copeland Mansion. They should have the place decked out for Christmas by that weekend and it's a chance to show her one of my fondest memories growing up. It's been eleven years since I've been.

Seating mainly. Is it worth it to pay the extra $ to sit below the 500 numbers?

How are the seats in the 600 sections?

Is the Copeland Mansion in the Quarter? It sounds cool.

Seating mainly. Is it worth it to pay the extra $ to sit below the 500 numbers?

How are the seats in the 600 sections?

Is the Copeland Mansion in the Quarter? It sounds cool.
    Sorry it took so long to get back...I was forced to live life away from the computer for a while. It sucked. I'm back.

I think it's worth the extra money to sit lower. The concessions are better. The restrooms are a little closer...important if you bring any kids. But that should be such a big game, being anywhere in the Dome is a MUST.

The Copeland Mansion isn't in the Quarter, but it's been so long since I've been that I've gotta get some directions.

Here's a link you might want to check out:

http://www.yatcom.com/neworl/lifesty...as/topten.html

Thanks Saint Nick. I appreciate the info.

We are leaving the kids at home. My oldest is 2 1/2. She watches the games with us and says "Go Kurt Warner and YEA baby!"

Actually it sounds like "Go Kurt Worney".

Take it easy. Don't get too pissed when your team loses this week.

Thanks Saint Nick. I appreciate the info.
    I have a 10 year old boy who's a Broncos fan

(WHERE DID I GO WRONG?)

Hey, if a kid's gotta be a fan of NFL players, Warner's a good one. He's a class guy and we won't have to read about him at the Gold Club or doing really cheesy Coors commercials.

And I won't get too mad IF the Saints lose to the Rams. Clearly, they're the most dominant team in the league right now, playing them in their house, etc. I'll be alright with a competitive loss this go-round.

But should the Saints win...

IF the Saints win.... I am sure we will be hearing quite a lot from everyone over at the WHODATZONE.

My kids would be evicted if they rooted for anyone but the Rams. I would have to disown them if they rooted for the hated niners!
    Last edited by RAMble On; -10-26-2001 at 12:24 PM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User
    I don't think it is that big of a rivalry. So last year was exciting, that has really been it. I feel our rivalries are with the Whiners and Bucs. Not at all even starting to consider the Saints as even potential rivals. Win something significant and maybe I will start seeing a glimmer of a rivalry.

Most fans I have spoken with have never considered the aints Rams thing a rivalry.

Last year changed some people and building on that, this year has been good so far ---- concidering we still have not played them yet :rolleyes:

Its a shame that it won't develope in to the same full blown hate we have for the whiners.

PS. you can always tell a bandwaggon Ram fan.

Ask them if they hate the whiners, all the new ones have no real hate there.

Still, anyone know when we will see the aints after this year ??

what is the rotation on the schedule :mask:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast