MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

RAMdom notes .. Brian Stull

As we've hit the six week break prior to training camp, a few observations from watching all of the OTA and Mini-Camp practices...

- A.J. Feeley is a good fit with this team. He has the confidence he can lead this team and be a starting quarterback in the NFL, but is also realistic that he is training his replacement in Sam Bradford. But he's been giving and supportive in that role, and every player has made mention of his leadership and command of the offense. There is no quarterback controversy here, nor will there be. A.J. runs the ship until Sam is ready.

- Not that it wasn't a close group last year, but the linebacker corps in 2010 looks to be very tight. The Ohio State crew has their connection, but the whole group really looks to have fun and practice well together. Too early to tell what Bobby Carpenter will do on the field, but like Feeley, he is a fit with this team personality wise.

-Their impact will vary this season, but the 2010 rookie class has been impressive thus far. Not so much in their athletic ability--again, nothing in pads yet--but how they've gone about practice. Repeatedly have seen Bradford, Mardy Gilyard, Jerome Murphy, and Marquis Johnson stay after practice for extra work.

- Injuries abound, but doesn't it say something for the Rams depth at offensive line that even with six linemen on the sideline your starters would be...

Phil Trautwein (LT), John Greco (LG), Jason Brown (C), Hank Fraley (RG), and Adam Goldberg (RT), who lined up as the 1s the last few practices. Certainly not what is expected for 2010, but we've seen much worse here over the last couple seasons.

- Speaking of injuries, let's hope Jason Smith can stay healthy from this point forward. He's already switched to a new helmet to try and help reduce the risk for another concussion, and I'm not aware of any way to prevent a toe stress fracture--but another tough luck injury and the Chicken Littles will be all over #77.

One other injury note--definitely feel for Mark Setterstrom, who must again deal with the potential of losing a season to injury. Still no update as to surgery plans, but wish him the best in his recovery.

-Wide receiver is going to be a tough battle in training camp. Ten wideouts are currently on the roster. At times last season, the Rams only had five on the roster and not all of them dressed gameday.

Right now, I believe only four have a solid spot--Donnie Avery, Laurent Robinson, Brooks Foster, and Mardy Gilyard. Big things are expected out of Avery in his third season and he's added muscle to help achieve them. Robinson looked good last year prior to injury and was brought in by Billy Devaney.

Like Robinson, Foster was making an impression last year before going on injured reserve and has stood out thus far in the offseason. Can't see the Rams giving up on a fourth-round pick this early. And Gilyard was just selected.

That leaves Danny Amendola, Keenan Burton, Dominique Curry, Brandon Gibson, Jordan Kent, and Brandon McRae to compete for the remaining spots.

Again, tough battle--probably the toughest in camp, as legit arguments can be made for every one of those guys to be on the roster.

- Steve Spagnuolo looks to be having more fun. He downplayed how much more comfortable he is in his second season, but with players and coaches now with a year of his system under their belt, Spags has more time to actually coach instead of explain what he wants done. The addition of Fred Robbins and Kevin Dockery has also helped--not just the head coach, but the players at their respective positions.

RAMdom Notes:

-Expect more details soon, but league sources share the pending release of LB KC Asiodu is still in the process stage as the Rams and Asiodu's reps are working terms out. The process began on Tuesday of last week, when five other players were released.

-Former Rams CB/WR Cord Parks has been claimed off waivers by the Seattle Seahawks.

-Rookie wideout Mardy Gilyard has signed a deal with Reebok, tweets his agent Nate Haber of Players Rep. Haber also recently shared Larry Grant signed on with Nike.

-As part of the NFL's "Play 60" initiative, Gilyard and the other Rams' rookies will lead 250 youth campers in various warm-up exercises and physical fitness drills at the Jewish Community Center tomorrow afternoon.

Rams Looking at Unga

The Rams will take their search for a backup running back to Provo, Utah on July 8th to attend the workout of Harvey Unga, who has become eligible for the upcoming NFL Supplemental Draft.

As a junior this past season at BYU, Unga led the Mountain West Conference with 1,087 yards rushing on 208 attempts and averaging 5.3 yards per carry.

However, Unga removed himself from the team this spring after violating the school's honor code. Unga's girlfriend, Keilani Moeaki, also withdrew from the women's basketball team at that time. On the BYU website, the honor code consists of the following:

Be honest
    Live a chaste and virtuous life
    Obey the law and all campus policies
    Use clean language
    Respect others
    Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse
    Participate regularly in church services
    Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards
    Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code

According to DeepShadesofBlue.com, Unga and Moeaki are going to be married this weekend.

The Cougars all-time leading rusher, Unga played in 41 career games with 696 carries for 3455 yards, 5.0 avg, and 36 TDs.

Speaking with league sources, Unga (6'0, 237lbs) could be a good value for the Rams with a 5th-7th round bid, as he is a short yardage back with good hands but needs to work on his pass protection.

Selection in the Supplemental Draft is based on team records and a bidding process. Teams that have the worst record and highest bid, receive the player.

Example: The Rams, who finished with the worst record in the league, submit a 5th round bid on Unga. As long as no team submits a higher bid, the Rams would receive Unga--but sacrifice a 5th round pick in 2011.

If another team also submitted a 5th round bid, the Rams would receive Unga by virtue of having the worse record.

The NFL Supplemental Draft will be held July 15th.

Looks like the BYU Honor Code consists of 9 Pillars .. Unga must have adhered to at least 4 for Spags to have an interest ..

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: RAMdom notes .. Brian Stull

Good stuff. Thanks, Maui!

A few thoughts...

I like his "Chicken Little" comment about Smith. Way too early to start labeling the guy.

I agree about the OL depth. Even without Barron and Setterstrom, its arguably better than last year.

Interesting note on Foster's status. The guy has great measurable, and it will be fun to watch how he progresses. On the flip side, it sounds to me like Brandon Gibson will need a very strong camp to stick with the team.

If Unga shows he has "NFL speed" (at his size, I'd say that means a 4.6 or better), I might be inclined to over-bid for his services (i.e. a 4th rounder). Its a calculated risk, but one I'd consider if I thought there was a chance that any other team might put their 4th rounder on the table.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Nice read but he's got to be kiddin' about Brandon Gibson. I don't see how Gibby can be behind Foster with what he showed in his limited time last year. How can he put Brandon Gibson on the same list as players like Burton, Amendola, Kent, Curry and McRae?

Oh, and Brooks Foster was a 5th round pick. Just sayin'...

Also, P. Trauwein and A. Goldberg (sounds like a CPA firm) does NOT engender any warm feelings from me regarding our OL. If either of these guys are starting at tackle come September I would NOT let Sam anywhere near the field.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

He's a bit late on the "chicken little" predictions. I've already heard that Jason Smith is a fragile bust who's natural position is TE rather than LT. Seen multiple people tank the season entirely because they "guarantee" Jason Smith will not start all 16 games and that Sam Bradford will get killed immediately.

Phil Trautwein is a guy who has played LT for a national championship team and won some awards in college. I've never seen him play at LT anywhere so I can't speak on how he'll play at any position for us, if indeed it came to that. The coaching staff (who does watch him play all the time) have thrown him into the mix at RT and have placed him as the backup at LT. I don't know how he'll play there but if he wasn't ready to play the coaching staff what not express that they thought he was. To me they've been fairly honest when expressing they're concerns over placing a player in the game (Keith Null last year) and will express their feelings when they're concerned over a guy playing.

I HAVE seen Goldberg at RT and he is more desirable as a backup than a starter for sure. However, looks like he will be just that, the backup.

Gibson is an unknown, i have to believe the Rams will open up at least one more slot for receivers this year due to the influx of intrigue players at the position. I'd like to see one of these undrafted guys on the roster if they continue to impress at training camp and preseason

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Jay Drew (BYU Sports)

Various published reports around the NFL claim that former BYU running back Harvey Unga is drawing a lot of interest as the NFL Supplemental Draft approaches.
    The supplemental draft, which is more like a silent auction, will be held on July 15.
    The St. Louis Rams, Kansas City Chiefs and Miami Dolphins are said to be among the teams most interested in Unga, the leading rusher in BYU football history.
    Unga, 6-1, 245, will reportedly work out in front of at least 14 NFL teams on July 8. He rushed for 3,455 yards in his BYU career before withdrawing from school last April.

245lbs? Man that's a load.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    He's a bit late on the "chicken little" predictions. I've already heard that Jason Smith is a fragile bust who's natural position is TE rather than LT. Seen multiple people tank the season entirely because they "guarantee" Jason Smith will not start all 16 games and that Sam Bradford will get killed immediately.

Phil Trautwein is a guy who has played LT for a national championship team and won some awards in college. I've never seen him play at LT anywhere so I can't speak on how he'll play at any position for us, if indeed it came to that. The coaching staff (who does watch him play all the time) have thrown him into the mix at RT and have placed him as the backup at LT. I don't know how he'll play there but if he wasn't ready to play the coaching staff what not express that they thought he was. To me they've been fairly honest when expressing they're concerns over placing a player in the game (Keith Null last year) and will express their feelings when they're concerned over a guy playing.

I HAVE seen Goldberg at RT and he is more desirable as a backup than a starter for sure. However, looks like he will be just that, the backup.

Gibson is an unknown, i have to believe the Rams will open up at least one more slot for receivers this year due to the influx of intrigue players at the position. I'd like to see one of these undrafted guys on the roster if they continue to impress at training camp and preseason
    Gotta agree about Goldberg starting at RT at the end of camp I don't think he will be starting anyway. I do think he could start at guard though IMO he is a much better guard than he is tackle. IMO he has the best chance to give grecco a run for his money to start at RG.

I wouldn't go that far to say gibson is an unkown. He started alot of the games the second half of the season after just joining the team. He has been sidelined most of the offseason with a hamstring injury. I agree with his top 4. I think the Rams will keep 5 or 6 Gibson then Amedola would be at the top of my list. Curry and McRae would be good candidates for the practice squad.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Gilyard and the other Rams' rookies will lead 250 youth campers in various warm-up exercises and physical fitness drills at the Jewish Community Center
    Good for you. L'Chaim, Mardy.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

Is it just me or did Unga bulk up just during the time that I read the thread?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'm also surprised that Brooks Foster would be slated as one of the players with a solid spot at receiver. Could he really have done enough in a few weeks of off-season practices to put him firmly ahead of both the ex-Eagles guys (Gibson and Amendola) and their demonstrated work on the field?

Gibson was arguably our most reliable receiver when he was on the field.

Amendola set franchise records as a returner.

Foster had a bunch of reps on the bench press at the Combine. Just sayin'...Heck, I hope he's good enough to have a spot locked up with that kind of competition.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Excellent info / notes to Ramdomly ponder on. Thanks Maui.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

I don't think foster is as much of a lock as this states. Very nice hearing bradford and gillyard staying late after practice.
    Haha I hope we sign unga I think he is a very ungarated player.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by fleece
    I'm also surprised that Brooks Foster would be slated as one of the players with a solid spot at receiver. Could he really have done enough in a few weeks of off-season practices to put him firmly ahead of both the ex-Eagles guys (Gibson and Amendola) and their demonstrated work on the field?

Gibson was arguably our most reliable receiver when he was on the field.

Amendola set franchise records as a returner.
    There must be something to it. All the offseason press on Foster has been positive. Still hard to imagine him being a "lock" at this point though, right?

But on the other hand, what if this guy is right? I mean you stated the parameters yourself........Foster as a lock, is better than two guys who flashed on the offense (Gibson) and return game (Amendola). If that's true, it's certainly a good sign for this WR corp.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Everyone I've heard have praised Foster (saying he looked like he was chisled out of stone and was in the best shape of his life.) and said that he's stood out in OTAs. Let's see if he can ride the tide on into some padded playmaking.

Goooooood Lord is it AUGUST YET DAD??!?!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

- A.J. Feeley is a good fit with this team. He has the confidence he can lead this team and be a starting quarterback in the NFL, but is also realistic that he is training his replacement in Sam Bradford. But he's been giving and supportive in that role, and every player has made mention of his leadership and command of the offense. There is no quarterback controversy here, nor will there be. A.J. runs the ship until Sam is ready.
    That sounds like what we expected, so right on.

- Injuries abound, but doesn't it say something for the Rams depth at offensive line that even with six linemen on the sideline your starters would be...

Phil Trautwein (LT), John Greco (LG), Jason Brown (C), Hank Fraley (RG), and Adam Goldberg (RT), who lined up as the 1s the last few practices. Certainly not what is expected for 2010, but we've seen much worse here over the last couple seasons.
    Most of those back-ups are definitely an upgrade, though I'd prefer Goldberg make a permanent home inside at guard. I'm not overflowing with confidence should Trautwein have to see starting action at left tackle, but it's good experience for him now.

-Wide receiver is going to be a tough battle in training camp. Ten wideouts are currently on the roster. At times last season, the Rams only had five on the roster and not all of them dressed gameday.

Right now, I believe only four have a solid spot--Donnie Avery, Laurent Robinson, Brooks Foster, and Mardy Gilyard. Big things are expected out of Avery in his third season and he's added muscle to help achieve them. Robinson looked good last year prior to injury and was brought in by Billy Devaney.

Like Robinson, Foster was making an impression last year before going on injured reserve and has stood out thus far in the offseason. Can't see the Rams giving up on a fourth-round pick this early. And Gilyard was just selected.

That leaves Danny Amendola, Keenan Burton, Dominique Curry, Brandon Gibson, Jordan Kent, and Brandon McRae to compete for the remaining spots.

Again, tough battle--probably the toughest in camp, as legit arguments can be made for every one of those guys to be on the roster.
    Reports about Foster have been positive, but they're OTA/minicamp reports. So, you take them with a grain of salt. I don't think he's earned a solid spot yet. I think Avery, Robinson, and Gilyard are probably about as close to final roster locks as this group can have, though nothing would surprise me here because I think this unit is wide open.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!