r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams: From 1-15 To One Win And Playoff Bound

Rams: From 1-15 to one win and playoff-bound
    By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer
    4 hours, 36 minutes ago

ST. LOUIS (AP)—One year removed from a one-win season, the St. Louis Rams are one win away from the postseason.

All they need is a win Sunday night at Seattle, where they haven’t prevailed since 2004, to win the NFC West. And after the misery of 2009, they’re overjoyed to have the challenge.

It’ll be in prime time, too. The NFL used its flexible scheduling policy to move Rams (7-8) vs. Seahawks (6-9) to an evening time slot. If the Seahawks win, they’ll become the first division champion with a losing record in league history.

A win would give the Rams, the sad sacks who were 6-42 from 2007-09, their first playoff berth since ’04 and their first division title since ’03, when the Greatest Show on Turf was still going strong. So what if they’d be only 8-8? They’d open at home in the playoffs.

Cornerback Ron Bartell(notes) chuckled when asked how tough it would be playing in Seattle, then said, “With the opportunity we have, who cares who we play and where?”

This time last year, nobody could have envisioned this chance—even if the division title up for grabs is the NFL’s weakest.

“It’s great for the team. It’s kind of another step in the whole thing,” coach Steve Spagnuolo said. “We’re hoping we can take a big step and then get on the bottom of another mountain and try to climb that one.”

The Rams showed spunk in their home finale, rebounding from losses to the Chiefs and Saints by rallying from a two-point halftime deficit behind a defense that shut down the *****. Troy Smith(notes) passed for 356 yards in the *****’ overtime victory in San Francisco last month. In the rematch, also Mike Singletary’s last game as coach, Smith got benched in the fourth quarter.

“We tried to get somebody in his face all the time,” middle linebacker James Laurinaitis(notes) said. “No quarterback likes somebody in his face.”

The Rams opened the playbook a bit, starting with a four-wideout set. Danny Amendola’s(notes) option pass for rookie Danario Alexander(notes) drew an interference call that led to Steven Jackson’s 1-yard run the next play. They also ran a few end-arounds with Brandon Gibson(notes).

Alexander had his best day with six catches for 99 yards, including a 46-yarder to the 3 that led to a touchdown. Sam Bradford(notes) was 16 for 20 in the second half, hitting his rhythm with quick tempo passes.

Spagnuolo makes no apologies for finishing the game in a shell, a conservative approach that gave San Francisco three shots to force overtime. He denied being influenced by Bradford’s lost fumble on a sack at the ***** 10 in the first quarter.

Amendola’s 84-yard kickoff return was a rapid response to Jeff Reed’s(notes) 47-yard field goal that cut the deficit to five points with 5:46 left. Perhaps to protect Bradford, the Rams were content to burn about two minutes of clock time while calling three Jackson handoffs before settling for Josh Brown’s(notes) third field goal.

Time for two more ***** possessions. They made it to the Rams 42 the first series before Chris Long(notes) stripped Alex Smith on a sack for a turnover. On the second chance, the ***** ran out of time at their own 34.

St. Louis nearly squandered a 17-point cushion in a three-point victory over the Chargers, used up most of a 20-point lead in a three-point win at Denver, and lost by a point in the final minute at Tampa Bay.

“There may be another game going forward where you’d do it differently,” Spagnuolo said. “We chose to do it this way and it happened to work out, so this time we were right.

“Could it have bitten us in the butt? Maybe, yeah.”

Now comes an opponent that had beaten the Rams 10 straight before their 20-3 victory at home in October. St. Louis is healthier and trending up, while the Seahawks have dropped seven of nine and have questions at quarterback, with Matt Hasselbeck(notes) likely to be limited all week by a hip injury.

“It’s going to be awesome,” Laurinaitis said. “It’s what you play for.”

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Rams: From 1-15 To One Win And Playoff Bound

Not a bad turnaround... not bad at all

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Shocking indeed....please let us get to 8-8 so that there is not a team going to the playoffs with a losing record.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    Shocking indeed....please let us get to 8-8 so that there is not a team going to the playoffs with a losing record.
    Pretty much we have to be 8-8 to be in the playoffs..

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

i'm gonna get into some crazy talk so if you dont want to hear it dont read it. first of all im not superstitious at all. okay here i go, brace yourself.

rams beat seahawks, then go on to host saints. i like our chances at home with what is developing. the a rematch with falcons, we were close and bradford can learn from his mistakes. now i would not like our chances at all in phili or lambeau, but lets just say we get some things going our way. superbowl vs patsys; 1st spags knows how to beat them defensively. we handled their starters throughout much of that preseason game. i mean i'm just saying...

told ya!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Crazy or not Rammer, I was "just saying" to my family how sweet it would be if the "lowly" Rams could upset the "mighty" Patriots in the Super Bowl. Talk about karma. And sweet, sweet, long overdue justice.

Heck lets go all out while we're at it. Maybe this will spark a dynasty where Spagnuolo, Laurinaitis, Ammendola, and Bradford are known around the league like Belicheck, Bruschi, Welker, and Brady are/were known for. Heck think of the wide receivers Brady had when they cheated in 01, no names, kinda remind anyone else of a certain group of wideouts?

Crazy talk... ?

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Talk about karma. And sweet, sweet, long overdue justice.
    Karma owes us a debt at least as big as your 2001, for our 2005.

I don't think it will happen for us this year (playoff success & Super Bowl), but I'm glad to see that the final game of the season will be a meaningful game for us. That's progress for both our teams.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

You're mad! Mad I say!

Everyone knows no team has ever gone from worst to super bowl champions in a single year!

Crazy people.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Hate to be that guy but if you guys remember, I was the guy always touting the "Why not us" *blasphemy* repeatedly this offseason when people were already forsaking our season as destined for last place and that there was no way we'd beat the great Niners and all of their talent. Noone gave us a chance before the season started and after our 0-2 start we were already throwing out draft scenarios and the *its a rebuilding year* bs.

Noone ever gave us a chance including our own fans and we've still managed to limp our way into meaningful December football, primetime with the division and playoffs on the line next week.

We all know the Saints game could have gone entirely different had we not thrown the pick six in the redzone, so all im saying is simply, why not us?

We beat the Seahawks and its no more NFC West sux. Its a playoff team against a playoff team. Except whoever whether its the Falcons or the Saints have to come to the revived EJD where if you make a mistake the fans will make you pay for it with hearing problems on the plane ride home.

Why Not Us?
    YouTube - Any Given Sunday - Peace by Inches - Pacino
    Last edited by Bralidore(RAMMODE); -12-28-2010 at 04:18 AM.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon View Post

I don't think it will happen for us this year (playoff success & Super Bowl), but I'm glad to see that the final game of the season will be a meaningful game for us. That's progress for both our teams.
    Ok this is choaking me to say this, but the Seahawks were robbed a Superbowl victory. They really did beat the Steelers and most everybody that saw it, knows it too.
    Last edited by lordwhttgr; -12-28-2010 at 05:17 AM.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon View Post
    I'm sorry but that's not true, a dodgy push-off penalty does not equal the 150 yards of uncalled penalties (search for it on youtube) on the Patriots or the taping of the walk-through.