Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dgr828

Thread: Rams #13 in SI's first Power Rankings

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Rams #13 in SI's first Power Rankings

St. Louis Rams (0-0)
    I think the Rams get it in Year 3 of the Steve Spagnuolo era. They know they're better than last year's 7-9 club, but they also know they've got to earn their promotion to a higher NFL weight class. "It's not automatic," Spagnuolo told his team in August. "From 1-15 (in 2009) to 7-9 doesn't guarantee 10-6 or 11-5. It doesn't work that way." No, it doesn't. But I do sense these Rams are hungry for more -- especially second-year QB Sam Bradford -- and ready to climb back into the 12-team playoff field.
    Peter King also picked us to win the division at 9-7!

Good to see some respect handed out to the Rams. I feel like it's been forever since we got any. I know it's just a meaningless ranking, but it feels good to read it anyway.

As for the rest of the division, it got pretty ugly:

Arizona Cardinals (0-0)
    I am admittedly not as sold on the Kevin Kolb acquisition as some other NFL observers, but with the Cardinals opening the season against Carolina, Washington and Seattle -- three teams starting new quarterbacks and coming off losing records in 2010 -- Kolb and Arizona have an excellent chance to prove me wrong.

Seattle Seahawks (0-0)
    With the exception of the improved Rams, the NFC West looks like the eighth-strongest division in the NFL once again. The Seahawks need to get their offensive line playing the physical, zone-blocking brand of ball that new line coach Tom Cable prefers, and quarterback/newly elected team captain Tarvaris Jackson has to limit his mistakes. But if everything comes together smoothly, Seattle still only has the potential to threaten the .500 mark this season.

San Francisco ***** (0-0)
    It's once again last-chance time for Alex Smith in San Francisco, and this time we mean it. (I think.) If 2005's top pick can't bring forth the best effort of his underachieving NFL career with the guidance of new head coach Jim Harbaugh, it's hard to imagine he'd ever get another starting opportunity. That said, there's a good bit of pressure on Harbaugh, too. He made re-signing Smith a priority this offseason, and his reputation as a teacher of quarterbacks is on the line as well.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams #13 in SI's first Power Rankings

Well I used to say power rankings were trash back when we were #31 and #32, so it would be a bit hypocritical to endorse this now However it is nice that people are recognizing the RISE of the ST. LOUIS RAMS.

We all know this means nothing, I can't wait for the Rams to back up the minihype and take it to the "Dream Team"

Oh, and Sam would say, "13th? You think I'm happy with being the 13th best team in the league!"

dgr828 is offline Registered User

There's alot to feel good about the Rams going into the 2011 season. However; I harken back to the San Francisco Fortyniners last year, who posted a 4-0 preseason record. Their Head Coach didn't finish the season. Preseason rankings are easy to print, The Rams will need to work hard to earn the rest of the leagues respect. A win over Philly will begin to peak everyone's interest in St. Louis Football! Let's hope the success in the preseason carries over to the regular season.
    RamDez likes this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

macrammer is online now Registered User

Yes, 4-0 in pre season can be misleading. I too scoff at power rankings do not pay much attention although does feel good to not see us at bottom. DGR, I think the Lions were also recently 4-0 in preseason and then went 0-16! But, Rams do seem to be poised to be a much better team then in years past. Time will tell.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    There's alot to feel good about the Rams going into the 2011 season. However; I harken back to the San Francisco Fortyniners last year, who posted a 4-0 preseason record. Their Head Coach didn't finish the season. Preseason rankings are easy to print, The Rams will need to work hard to earn the rest of the leagues respect. A win over Philly will begin to peak everyone's interest in St. Louis Football! Let's hope the success in the preseason carries over to the regular season.
    Well spoken..!