Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    ramsanddodgers's Avatar
    ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,258
    Rep Power
    51

    Rams #2 & 3 Best Receiving Corps

    As rated by NFL Channel Network

    1. Air Coryell - Late 70's, Early 80's San Diego Chargers
    2. Greatest Show on Turf
    3. 50's Rams - Crazy Legs, Tom Fears, Glenn Davis
    4. 80's ***** - Rice, Taylor, Craig
    5. 60's Redskins - Taylor, Mitchell, Jurgensen
    6. 70's Raiders - Biletnikoff, Chester, Wells
    7. 70's Dolphins - the Marks Brothers
    8. Late 80's Redskins - the Posse
    9. Late 90's Vikings - Moss, Carter
    10. 2000's colts - Harrison, Wayne

    This seems to credit those Corps which were together several years and not those who were not Flash-in-the-pans or Stallworth/Swan might have made the list?

    It was also mentioned how the GSOT had the most depth with Hakim and Proehl as 4th and 5th receivers more than adequate to the task when called upon and how Marshall could easily have been a Wide Receiver had he opted to as he was a great route runner.

    RnD

    GO RAMS!!

  2. #2
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    FIRING SCHOTTY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,603
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: Rams #2 & 3 Best Receiving Corps

    I saw this also RnD. It was a good watch. It was all about teams with 3 or more receiving threats, whether it was WR, RB, or TE included.

    The Colts at #10 had Stokely included. The Vikes at #9 had Jake Reed included. The Fins at #7 had Nat Moore included. The Raiders had Dave Casper included. There were some others I can't remember.

    Funny how some of these guys are forgotten. When I saw Carter and Moss I instantly remembered Jake Reed, but before watching that I had completely forgotten about Reed.

  3. #3
    Mooselini's Avatar
    Mooselini is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,724
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Rams #2 & 3 Best Receiving Corps

    This is great. Lets hope we can revive the Greatest Show On Turf.

  4. #4
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,391
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Rams #2 & 3 Best Receiving Corps

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    This is great. Let's hope we can revive the Greatest Show On Turf.

    Wouldn't that be GREAT!?!

    Perhaps the best 'receiver' here would be Coach Al Saunders ... implementing his newly formed offense a la MMM* (even if only partially).



    *. - MMM: The great Mike 'Madness' Martz

  5. #5
    39thebeast's Avatar
    39thebeast is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    conecticut
    Posts
    2,740
    Rep Power
    38

    Re: Rams #2 & 3 Best Receiving Corps

    Who else could be there, i'm not surprised one bit. I'm kinda surprised they are not first

  6. #6
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,589
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Rams #2 & 3 Best Receiving Corps

    An impressive list to say the least. And if we're being honest, those Air Coryell teams were the GSOT nearly two decades before our GSOT hit the field. Chandler, Joiner, Winslow, Jefferson; and Muncie or James in the backfield.....pretty impressive.

    btw, hard list to crack, but an argument could be made for the presence of mid 80's Dolphins. Duper & Clayton made for a solid receiving corp. As well, they had some young QB too, I can't recall his name though.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  7. #7
    shower beers's Avatar
    shower beers is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,045
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: Rams #2 & 3 Best Receiving Corps

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    An impressive list to say the least. And if we're being honest, those Air Coryell teams were the GSOT nearly two decades before our GSOT hit the field. Chandler, Joiner, Winslow, Jefferson; and Muncie or James in the backfield.....pretty impressive.

    btw, hard list to crack, but an argument could be made for the presence of mid 80's Dolphins. Duper & Clayton made for a solid receiving corp. As well, they had some young QB too, I can't recall his name though.

    I was looking for the same thing.

  8. #8
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    FIRING SCHOTTY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,603
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: Rams #2 & 3 Best Receiving Corps

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    btw, hard list to crack, but an argument could be made for the presence of mid 80's Dolphins. Duper & Clayton made for a solid receiving corp. As well, they had some young QB too, I can't recall his name though.
    They did make that list, and RnD has them listed under the "Marks Brothers" at #7 (RnD put 70's instead of 80's by mistake I'm guessing), and then like I said Nat Moore was the 3rd that went along with the "Marks Bros".

  9. #9
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,589
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Rams #2 & 3 Best Receiving Corps

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    They did make that list, and RnD has them listed under the "Marks Brothers" at #7 (RnD put 70's instead of 80's by mistake I'm guessing), and then like I said Nat Moore was the 3rd that went along with the "Marks Bros".
    Ah yes, very good, Rb. I didn't make it to the nicknames. I saw the "70's Dolphins" and just thought the Nat Moore reference was to his early days next to Paul Warfield (for his rookie season), Duriel Harris, & Freddie Soloman.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  10. #10
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,221
    Rep Power
    108

    Re: Rams #2 & 3 Best Receiving Corps

    WOW! The Whiners trio from last season didn't make it? What were their names again?

  11. #11
    Ramblin` Ram's Avatar
    Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Nation of Rams
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,401
    Rep Power
    54

    Re: Rams #2 & 3 Best Receiving Corps

    i became a fan of football (due to my age) in the early `80`s so only caught the end of the air coryell, chargers...i have seen lots of video clips of theirs and re-runs etc....one epic play-off game against the `phins sticks out!

    anyway..to my question to the slighter older fans of football than myself...im thinking the fact that they had kellen winslow at TE over our TE`s who tho roland,ernie and jeff robinson i liked a lot,simply were not kellen winslow! as being the difference maker between them and our very own G.S.O.T...would you say thats about right??

  12. #12
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,589
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Rams #2 & 3 Best Receiving Corps

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    i became a fan of football (due to my age) in the early `80`s so only caught the end of the air coryell, chargers...i have seen lots of video clips of theirs and re-runs etc....one epic play-off game against the `phins sticks out!

    anyway..to my question to the slighter older fans of football than myself...im thinking the fact that they had kellen winslow at TE over our TE`s who tho roland,ernie and jeff robinson i liked a lot,simply were not kellen winslow! as being the difference maker between them and our very own G.S.O.T...would you say thats about right??
    Ramblin', I agree that the difference between Winslow and the GSOT TEs is vast; no comparison really. And while fair comparisons can be made between the AC Fouts and GSOT Warner, as well as the AC Joiner & Jefferson/Chandler and the GSOT Bruce & Holt, there are a couple of differences that gives the GSOT the advantage in my mind.....

    1. First and foremost, Chuck Muncie wasn't Marshall Faulk

    2. There were no AC 3/4 wideouts to compare to Hakim and Proehl.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  13. #13
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,625
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Rams #2 & 3 Best Receiving Corps

    Swann & Stallworth? Both in HOF... Not on the list?

  14. #14
    VegasRam's Avatar
    VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,399
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: Rams #2 & 3 Best Receiving Corps

    Denver had the 'three amigos', (or was it tres hombres?), whose names escape me at the moment, (which is maybe why they're not on the list).
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

  15. #15
    Ramblin` Ram's Avatar
    Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Nation of Rams
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,401
    Rep Power
    54

    Re: Rams #2 & 3 Best Receiving Corps

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Ramblin', I agree that the difference between Winslow and the GSOT TEs is vast; no comparison really. And while fair comparisons can be made between the AC Fouts and GSOT Warner, as well as the AC Joiner & Jefferson/Chandler and the GSOT Bruce & Holt, there are a couple of differences that gives the GSOT the advantage in my mind.....

    1. First and foremost, Chuck Muncie wasn't Marshall Faulk

    2. There were no AC 3/4 wideouts to compare to Hakim and Proehl.
    good points...could also add that the Chargers never done it the biggest game of all! seems like they had a different criteria..

    AV,
    i cant believe they didnt have stallworth & swann on the list either!


    am sure the likes of ike,torry az etc and stallworth,swann etc...would take their superbowl rings over being top of a journalists list anyday!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jim Thomas Live-Feb. 5th
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -02-06-2008, 12:24 PM
  2. Postgame With Gordo
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -12-21-2007, 10:18 AM
  3. Jim Thomas Live: 12/11/07
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -12-11-2007, 07:59 PM
  4. Jim Thomas Live
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -09-26-2007, 08:01 AM
  5. RAMS Tale of The Tape
    By OldRamsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -01-09-2006, 03:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •