RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Rams 2006 - Are we better than last year?

For the past few weeks, I have been contemplating writing this opinion. I was going to wait until week 17 had ended, and then give my opinions. However, while I'm sitting here on this cold early morning, I decided. "Why not now?"
    Now may be the perfect time. The dogs are patiently waiting to go for a walk so they can decorate the alley, Sami woke up in a very sweet mood and is coloring pictures, MOM is stretched out, sound asleep, and I'm enjoying the second half of my first pot of coffee of the day.

A great time to be objective.

Over the past 12 months, we have seen a self-destructing team with a shameful lack of effort slowly turn into a team that has a chance, albeit a small chance, to go to Miami. At this point a year ago, some were ready to put away all things blue and gold, and forget about football for a few months. All of us were really disgusted with the team.

Then came the game against Dallas. A game no one thought we had a snowball's chance in the Sahara of winning. Somehow, a team that seemed to belong on the 'Island of Misfit Toys' put up a good fight, and came out with a win that really meant nothing in the standings, but gave us one thing we sorely needed: hope for the future.

While other teams went on to greater things, we were left behind, trying to make sense of the circus that was playing in St. Louis. For a few very tense days, we feared that our front office would continue to provide us with a continuation of the comedy of errors that had been forced upon us, by hiring Art Shell. We thought the downward spiral had just begun.

It may be too early to pass judgment, but it looks like someone may have figured out how to put on the brakes.

In an offseason filled with things like the probability of Bruce no longer being with us, the fear of another crappy draft, and the unknowns of free agency, something really strange happened.

The fans agreed with most of the decisions the front office made. Not all of the decisions, but most.

We went into the pre-season very wary, excited at the possibilities, but fearful of reality. We knew what could happen, and we thought we knew what would happen. We watched our Special Teams do some things that shocked us, and our Defense followed suit. Our offense started slowly, but finally began to mesh.

2006 has been a roller coaster ride, for sure. We have all had our share of heart attacks and heart breakers, we have seen our team prove that they are as good as the defending division champs, we have seen them fold and prove they are as bad as the Rams of the 90's.

But, our record shows we are improved from last year.

As we go into the last game of the 2006 regular season, our team is still in the running for the postseason. I don't know why, but I have a strong feeling we WILL be playing in January. Our offense is now doing something we have waited for all year long: they are showing the world that the Rams should not, and cannot, be ignored.

No matter how things play out this coming weekend, no matter how things may go in January, I know one thing that will stick with me until next August:

The Saint Louis Rams are no longer on the way down. We have finally found our offensive identity, our secondary identity, and the ST and D are beginning to show signs of coming out of their comas.

We're not back yet. But, we are on the way.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rams 2006 - Are we better than last year?

I think the team is better than last year's, though not by much.

That said, I think there is promise on the roster. There are several young players who have demonstrated ability and who should continue to improve.

This will be a crucial offseason. If the Rams make a few good moves, I have no doubt they can be a contender in the NFC next year. With the wrong moves, they may just run in place.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

7-9 is not enough to satisfy my appetite. 8-8 would do nicely, yet not what I predicted.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Still the emergence of Steven Jackson as a bonafided superstar, the return of Bruce to previous form and Marc Bulgers ability to stay healthy all season and put together a great season from day one is very encouraging to me. The thing that worries me is this defense is still struggling tremendously and the special teams still are terrible. They may be better than last year but not by much. If the Rams would of done two things in the offseason we would of been much better. Sign Grady Jackson and resign Corey Ivery and the defense would of been much better. Our secondary is looking very good but I would still love for us to find a dt, mlb and a big physical strong safety. If we can acquire these pieces I think our d would improve rapidly.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

RFS - You can look at your question many ways?

Is the Team better? Hmmm...

Front Office - No real changes - Georgia may need to let the Rams go for the "organization" to reach new heights.

Coaching Staff - Better. I like Linehan but remain lukewarm about Haslett and Ligasheski (sp?). The team may be better off with a new ST coach.

Offense - Slightly Better. Bulger has another year of experience and may play a full season for the first time (unless I am mistaken). SJ is a better runner and receiver (team still lacks a change of pace back). The receiver corp remained status quo - but there were a lot of dropped balls this year.

I do like the youth movement on the O-line, but personnel questions remain unanswered.

Defense - No change/Slighlty worse. I had expected a better performance by the D. Run D is pathetic same as last year - maybe not as good as last year. I do like the infusion of talent (Spoon, Hill and Chavous), but still need a vast improvement on the forward defensive wall. At the NFL level is it personnel - is it the system - is if the game prep and coaching? The D has shown signs of playing with heart - but not frequently enough.

Special Teams -Slightly worse. Da Bears game - say no more.

To summarize -

Front Office - N/C
    Coaching - Up (with a wart of two)
    Offense - Up (with a wart os so)
    Defense - Down (with couple of positives)

Overall - Up slightly over 2005-2006!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

This team needed this year to get down Linehan's offensive style, and just the way things are going to work out from here on out. Steven Jackson's new found "up the gut" play style has made him a superstar in many ways. Bulger had a fantastic year, and the only reason why every year isn't a pro-bowl for the guy is because he's always on IR :P. For once he stayed healthy and sure enough, he goes to the pro-bowl! I for one was happy with the draft and thought it was a lot better than previous years, and I think good things are coming to this team. And believe it or not, I think the NFC West is going to be the new powerhouse of the NFC...which isn't necessarily a good thing. But all 4 teams in the division look like they're all on their way to good years next year. We're going to have to step up our game because it looks like the other teams are. Arizona isn't looking too bad with Leinart (even though he got hurt, but their season was over anyways...), San Francisco surprisingly has a beast of a back with them. Alex Smith isn't so bad after all, and Seattle...Well, they had a bad season compared to last year's, but look for them to be back in action in 07. We need to REALLY step it up guys!
    Last edited by Varg6; -12-27-2006 at 01:37 PM.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The '06 Rams are better than the '05 Rams. There seems to be, at least, the appearance of stability. That was lacking last year with the soap operas pulling attention away from the field. That stability helps to keep the business at hand in the lockerroom not the board room.

As well, statistically, this team is better. The '06 passing game is about the same, but with fewer mistakes. The '06 run game is better in both yardage and production. The passing defense is much, much better than last year. Fewer yards allowed, fewer points allowed, more Ints. generated......considerably better pass D, if you ask me. And while the Run D is giving up 13 yards per game more than last year, they have allowed 3 fewer TDs (of course Chester Taylor still may have something to say about that).

Yea, I'd have to say the '06 team is the better team.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

I think the answer is YES...even if slightly.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AugustaRamFan View Post
    Special Teams -Slightly worse. Da Bears game - say no more.
    I completely disagree that our special teams are worse this year. I think the problem is people lump the special teams play together, and specific areas get dragged down with the mess. Our punting and punt coverage have been much improved this year, but they don't get as much credit because the kickoff coverage hasn't been good at all. So from the viewpoint that our punt team has improved a lot, overall I would say our special teams are better than last year. We couldn't cover punts or kicks last year, at least this year we could cover punts.

Overall this team is better than last year for the reasons that others have already stated earlier.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

blood85 is offline Registered User

Win/loss records don't count in my book, only Super Bowl Trophies, we need more Trophies, our Lone Lombardi trophy is getting lonely.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

"In an offseason filled with things like the probability of Bruce no longer being with us, the fear of another crappy draft, and the unknowns of free agency, something really strange happened."

where is there any evidence stating that bruce will not be with us after this year is over???? he signed a 3yr 15million dollar deal last offseason why wouldnt he stay with the rams for his last 2 season???

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    "In an offseason filled with things like the probability of Bruce no longer being with us, the fear of another crappy draft, and the unknowns of free agency, something really strange happened."

where is there any evidence stating that bruce will not be with us after this year is over???? he signed a 3yr 15million dollar deal last offseason why wouldnt he stay with the rams for his last 2 season???
    I was speaking of LAST offseason, hence the use of past tense at the end of the sentence.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think the offense is better SJ is much improved. Marc stayed healthy and has cut down on the turnovers. ST, coverage is better, return game the same/worse. Defense secondary better, LB play better, front four worse.
    Defense is worse overall then last years; Haslett will be on the hot seat next year if they are giving up yards on the ground like this.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

HUBison - I am not as sure that the pass defense is any better. When teams can run at will for 200-250 yards per game, why pass? I would offer that the run defense numbers deflate the passing defense numbers. Overall defensive back personnel is better abeit youthful.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AugustaRamFan View Post
    HUBison - I am not as sure that the pass defense is any better. When teams can run at will for 200-250 yards per game, why pass? I would offer that the run defense numbers deflate the passing defense numbers. Overall defensive back personnel is better abeit youthful.
    Opposing offenses are running for 13 yards more per game (149 vs. 136) than last year, but are passing for 26 yards less per game (188 vs. 214), and throwing only 3 fewer times per game, and completing 4% less receptions, I'd say the passing game is a little better.

Not a lot better, but a little better
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod