Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By laram0

Thread: Rams 2011 Offseason Moves: Mid-Term Report Card

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Rams 2011 Offseason Moves: Mid-Term Report Card

Let's take a look at the Rams key moves from last offseason.

Harvey Dahl: Grade B
    Dahl was one of two upper-tier FA acquisitions for the Rams in 2010. He was expected to bring nastiness and run blocking to the Rams. When you look at the offensive line as a whole, the picture is not too impressive. However, the run blocking has actually improved from 2010. Despite Steven Jackson's missed time, the team is averaging 4.50 yards per carry. Jackson himself has also benefitted, averaging 5.1 yards per carry. While Dahl deserves some credit for the improved run blocking, he must also share some responsibility for the abysmal pass blocking (though, it could be argued, the OTs and, perhaps, the system, are more at fault). Still, I think a solid "B" is warranted.

WRs/TEs: Grade C-
    This is a tough one to assess. At WR, the Rams added two rookies (Austin Pettis, Greg Salas) who have made some progress as possession/slot receivers and a FA (Mike Sims-Walker) who was a complete bust. At TE, the Rams drafted Lance Kendricks who, after a promising preseason, has not exactly lived up to his status as a Top 50 selection. The saving grace is the mid-season acquisition of Brandon Lloyd, but I can't fully assess his impact after two games (and factoring in the uncertainty of his contract status). In all, I think the Rams have made some progress in improving the receiving corps and building for the future, but injuries to Amendola, Salas and Hoomanwanui (and the lingering injuries that took Donnie Avery and Mark Clayton out of the mix) has prevented any significant immediate impact.

D-Line: Grade C
    The main additions here were Justin Bannan and Robert Quinn. Bannan has not had any significant impact. Quinn, on the other hand, is starting to come around, and now has 3 sacks. If Quinn can continue to develop, this grade should be higher by the end of the year.

LBs: Grade F
    The Rams went the bargain basement route at LB, signing Brady Poppinga and Ben Leber, and drafting Jabara Williams in the second round. In the words of the young folks, EPIC FAIL. Leber has been replaced by holdover Chris Chamberlain. Poppinga has been mediocre, when healthy. Williams was cut. The Rams have been neglecting the OLB spot for years, and it has to stop. James Laurinaitis is playing at a Pro Bowl level in the middle, but he needs help.

Quintin Mikell: B-
    Mikell started the season very well, making several impact plays in the early weeks. Then, he sort of disappeared. At this point, he is second on the team with 45 tackles, and has added a sack, an interception, and two forced fumbles. I've set the bar high for Mikell, so I'm expecting more. Let's hope he regains his early season form.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Re: Rams 2011 Offseason Moves: Mid-Term Report Card

How about the grade for the 2 added RB's. Williams had one good game, but besides that, has been okay at best. And Norwood hasn't done a thing! I'd give this group a D at best, mainly cause of the high hopes I had for them.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I'd probably give the back-up RBs a C/C+. Williams has done okay in spot duty, and Norwood has not really been asked to do much (when he's been healthy).
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -11-09-2011 at 03:07 PM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

With a 1-7 record it's hard to give anyone a decent grade.
    rNemesis likes this.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

How about this:

- O-line: D
    -WR's/TE's: WR's: C TE's: D
    -RB's: D
    LB's: D
    Harvey Dahl Run blocking : A Pass blocking : D
    D- Line: Quinn: B+ ( for a rookie) Bannan: D
    Quintin Mikell: B, but lately, a C.