Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PHAT-MONEY Guest

Rams 4th best offense??

how are the rams 4th in the nfc in offense

1. Saints (one year wonder)
    2. Seahawks (bull crap)
    3. Eagles ( maybe 6th if mcnabb is healthy)
    4. Rams ( best in the leauge)

according to nfl live. but not the very detailed opinions.

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Re: Rams 4th best offense??

I'd take Seattle off the list and replace them with the Cowboys. Here's how I think it looks in the NFC

1. Saints
    2. Cowboys
    3. Rams
    4. Eagles

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

PHAT-MONEY Guest

I am still not sold on romo. i do like thh guy, but not sold on his play down the stretch.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

The cowgirls 2nd are you freaking serious? :O The Rams should be ranked 2nd in the NFC, with the saint's barely slightly edging us.

ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-MONEY View Post
    how are the rams 4th in the nfc in offense

1. Saints (one year wonder)
    2. Seahawks (bull crap)
    3. Eagles ( maybe 6th if mcnabb is healthy)
    4. Rams ( best in the leauge)

according to nfl live. but not the very detailed opinions.
    This is actually more according to Mike Schlereth than NFL Live.

But it is wierd to see this from the same guy who says Marc Bulger is the most underrated player in the NFL.

2. Who is the most underrated player?

Schlereth: Rams quarterback Marc Bulger. He consistently performs and has proven he can put up big numbers even without Mike Martz leading the way. This is a talented kid who had to play last season with a shoddy offensive line and still put up big numbers. One of these seasons people are going to wake up and be amazed at the numbers he has amassed.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

At the risk of sounding like a homer, I would have to say the Rams have the #1 offense in the NFL. We have a pro bowl quarterback, running back, and #1 wideout, we have 2 solid TEs, and the rest of our receivers are on par if not better than any other #2 and #3 in the entire league. If our offensive line is healthy then that is another advantage we have. Add to all this the fact that we play 6 games against average defensive units at best and we easily should put up bigger numbers than any other offense in the league.

The way I see it, the only teams with a shot of matching our offensive power are the Saints, the Chargers and the Patriots. And even with them, I still like our chances. A lot.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Just goes to show that no matter what your offense does during the reg season and the offseason if you don't put W's in the win column and your D doesnt stop anyone you don't get squat.These rankings are a joke and i hope the rams use it as motivation to devour our opponents.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a homer...

A Rams homer on a Rams message board? No! Where?

Unbelievable.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

As I see it the best offenses this year look to be, in no particular order (although I did list the Rams first ):

Rams (Bulger, Jackson, Holt, Bruce, Pace, McMichael, Bennett, I don't think I need to go on, too many elite weapons - matchup nightmare)

Saints (Drew Brees is the real deal, I'm not surprised he did as well as he did with the Saints, he'll be just as good again this year, Bush is a dynamic playmaker wherever he lines up, and they've got Deuce and Colston too)

Chargers (Tomlinson could almost carry them alone, but they've got a good up and coming QB in Rivers, the best TE Gates and a very effective O-line all around)

Colts (With Manning at the helm they can't fall far on offense, a reliable TD machine in Harrison, Addai and Wayne (slightly overrated, but still good players both) and a very solid O-line that always keep pressure off Manning)

Seahawks? Bah, gimme a break. They have no place on this list at all. An older, slower Alexander with a deteriorating O-line (overrated Jones and no Hutchinson etc.). Mistake-prone Hasselbeck. They got rid of a reliable receiver in Jackson and now they have an average Branch and no one else at WR. Their offense is definitely going downhill, they're still dangerous in the division because they have an average defense to go with their average offense which is more than you can say about the rest of the NFC West defenses, but a top 4 or 5 offense? No way.

We're going to come out guns blazing this year, our defense will suck, but if we can score a lot maybe we won't see our running defense as much (I'm still skeptical, but I'm starting to believe it could work), that looks to be the plan. Either way we've definitely got one of the top offenses this year.

z.nrd Guest

Rams could very well be first when all is said and done. It could easily happen.

But it's too soon to predict it with complete certainty. I mean, no question they will rank high (if Bulger stays healthy) and #1 is possible, but there are some things that have to be worked out first.

1. Bulger. He really improved last year on his short ball---showing some touch he hadn't had before on short passes. However, his adventure with the long ball continues. Some years he's good and ranks right up there at the top, but once or twice (2003, 2006) his long ball is not in sync. With him it's timing, I think. Bennett could help a lot here because Bennett is actually a good deep threat. Linehan and Olson both went out of their way to note this about him. It's not speed, it's hands and concentration and being 6'5"---if the ball is near him deep, he wins. If Bulger gets his timing back with Holt and if he finds a rhythm with Bennett, the long ball will be back, adding a big play element to the offense that was a little shakey last year. Other than this....Bulger should just be Bulger, which is good. He has inconsistent moments with accuracy but overall is very accurate, confident, and a gamer.

2. OL. This OL will be better than the one that started the season in 2006, but how much better is an unknown. It could be anywhere from just better to one of the best OLs the Rams have had since the 80s. Pace needs to be back in sync, Setterstrom needs to pick up where he left off, Incognito needs to settle down some, and Barron obviously needs to improve his strength and to cut down on false starts. If all those things work out, then, they will simply be great. I think they will be okay at center no matter who it is. Boudreau is the best Rams OL coach since Houk in the 80s (and Houk is a legend).

3. Sacks. Bulger gets sacked at a dangerous clip. It's a lot of factors. Not just the OL. It's the RBs/TE (Linehan specifically mentioned that McMichael was signed at least in part cause he's an experienced and capable pass blocker). It's the times when Bulger holds the ball and takes a sack. Last year part of it was that the OL was a weekly roster adventure due to injuries. But sacks have to decrease. All those things are factors and need to be fixed. Linehan made it clear this is a pass first, run second team....so sacks have to come under control.

4. Jackson and Leonard ought to be fine. Jackson improved his running style last year by running lower---that should continue. He's a much better RB when he does that.

5. Bruce probably has a lot left, Holt ought to be better, McMichael adds to the short passing game, and Bennett adds to the long passing game and redzone offense. Still, early last year, when Linehan called the plays, they were neglecting a lot of things Bruce and Holt have traditionally done well. Linehan, as a playcaller, wasn't taking full advantage of what his WRs can do. Bruce and Holt are superior route runners who can work the entire field, and have a knack for getting separation. They were especially dangerous in the middle of the field on medium range passes. Linehan neglected that part of their game and cut back on the routes they ran (I have never seen so many plays where Bruce or Holt caught a pass while directly facing the qb). I think they thought that the medium range pass to the middle was turnover territory, but the fact is, these receivers are so good at route running that the medium middle actually has never been turnover territory for the Rams (stats back this---you can tell by looking at splits where on the field INTs come). The rule here is, never abandon a team strength. Okay, having said that, Olson showed signs of being much more creative and flexible. The routes Linehan tended to neglect came back with Olson. . . . .Olson knew better how to take advantage of players's strengths. On top of it, they added Bennett, who will give Linehan a master at one of his favorite pass plays....sideline jump balls. So if this continues, they will use the WRs better than they did in the first half of 2006. If they do that, combined with a first-class running game, this offense could be unstoppable.

6. TE. McMichael is a better pass-blocker and run-blocker than Klopfenstein was last year. That can only help. McMichael is also a steady, reliable, experienced and proven short-yardage receiver. That adds to the mix (the more things you do well the better you do at all the other things...sideline passes, short passes, mid-range passes to the middle, deep ball).

7. Back to Olson. From what I saw Olson is also less predictable as a playcaller than Linehan was. In fact, in terms of play by play playcalling in game situations, he may be a better play caller than Martz was (Martz was great at overall offensive design but didn't always have a feel for game situations and using one play to set up another). If this continues then all the better.

The potential's there.
    Last edited by z.nrd; -06-23-2007 at 08:46 AM.

itsguud is offline Registered User

This is hilarious. Anyone who don't think we have the best O in the NFL is kidding themselves. We put up numbers that are unreal considering how horrible our D was last year, and this offseason what'd we do, bulk up the D - NO, Lose anything offensiviely - NO, Add a solid WR and TE and potentially the next best FB - HELL YEAH!

The only two teams that compete with us for this title are the Colts and the Saints. But neither of them have 3 amazing WR's. The Colts have one 2nd year RB, the Saints have a 2nd year WR and RB. They were all great last year but we'll see how good they are during their 2nd years. ALL of our guys are proven except BL but I'm not worried about him. WE WIN!

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    This is hilarious. Anyone who don't think we have the best O in the NFL is kidding themselves. We put up numbers that are unreal considering how horrible our D was last year, and this offseason what'd we do, bulk up the D - NO, Lose anything offensiviely - NO, Add a solid WR and TE and potentially the next best FB - HELL YEAH!

The only two teams that compete with us for this title are the Colts and the Saints. But neither of them have 3 amazing WR's. The Colts have one 2nd year RB, the Saints have a 2nd year WR and RB. They were all great last year but we'll see how good they are during their 2nd years. ALL of our guys are proven except BL but I'm not worried about him. WE WIN!
    That's all true IF a developing OL comes through, and the playcalling keeps up with the players's abilities, and injuries or age have taken nothing away from Bruce or Holt.

If those things don't happen, they will still be very good...but not the best.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    2. OL. This OL will be better than the one that started the season in 2006, but how much better is an unknown. It could be anywhere from just better to one of the best OLs the Rams have had since the 80s. Pace needs to be back in sync, Setterstrom needs to pick up where he left off, Incognito needs to settle down some, and Barron obviously needs to improve his strength and to cut down on false starts. If all those things work out, then, they will simply be great. I think they will be okay at center no matter who it is. Boudreau is the best Rams OL coach since Houk in the 80s (and Houk is a legend).

3. Sacks. Bulger gets sacked at a dangerous clip. It's a lot of factors. Not just the OL. It's the RBs/TE (Linehan specifically mentioned that McMichael was signed at least in part cause he's an experienced and capable pass blocker). It's the times when Bulger holds the ball and takes a sack. Last year part of it was that the OL was a weekly roster adventure due to injuries. But sacks have to decrease. All those things are factors and need to be fixed. Linehan made it clear this is a pass first, run second team....so sacks have to come under control.
    These two really strike me as the most important factors to our offensive success in 2007. We have one top-flight back in Jackson and one talented rookie prospect in Leonard, but having an offensive line that has made strides in their run blocking especially in regards to consistency will do wonders for both players. My biggest concern on the line is a tie between (1) whether Romberg's end to '06 was a flash or something he can sustain in '07 and (2) whether or not Alex Barron is serious about improving his play this year.

As for #3, pass protection is going to be a key for this team if we're going to expect Bulger to make use of all the weapons he's been afforded. The Rams may have had one of the top 4-5 offenses in the NFC last year, but they were second to last in terms of sacks given up. In the entire NFL, they tied for 27th with three other teams. I would hope that we're making it a priority in improving upon that number, because I can only imagine what this offense could do if you can nearly cut that sack number in half.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

PHAT-MONEY Guest

if we play our game we will be the best on offense. it is that simple. we were dominate in our final 3 games, and we ran all over the best run d in the nfl.

Black Hills Ramman is offline Registered User

This is the year that we prove to all that GSOT is still alive and well, it just includes a much nicer balance with S. Jackson, B. Leonard, Holt/Bruce/Bennett and Hall to dazzle em at KR/PR. I'm looking forward to this year - OH YEAH........
    BLACK HILLS RAMMAN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast