Like Tree13Likes
  • 8 Post By TheBritishRam
  • 1 Post By AtlantaRamFan
  • 4 Post By Azul e Oro

Thread: Is Rams 4th-Rounder Givens' Speed as Impressive as Sam Bradford Thinks It Is? (Blog)

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Is Rams 4th-Rounder Givens' Speed as Impressive as Sam Bradford Thinks It Is? (Blog)

By Sigmund Bloom

Chris Givens vs Virgina Tech 2011 - YouTube

It's understandable that Sam Bradford is excited about Chris Givens' speed. Neither of the wide receivers drafted last year—Austin Pettis and Greg Salas—were going to take the top off a defense. Meanwhile, second-round wide receiver Brian Quick is big, but he only ran in the 4.5s at the combine.

Givens' 4.37 40 time at the same event is evidence of top-end speed, and Bradford is convinced that the Wake Forest product has it.

Ron Clements of CBS Sports reports that Bradford called Givens "really, really fast." The quarterback thinks that if defenses ignore or take their eye off Givens for a "half-second," he'll get behind them. Clements also reports that Givens himself has talked-up his speed, calling it "a big part of his game" and "something I pride myself on."

A closer look at one of Givens' best games of the year against the always-tough Virginia Tech defense reveals that maybe his speed won't be the difference maker that Bradford thinks it will be.

First, at 0:26, Givens' 79-yard touchdown catch (his longest of the year) against Hokie corner Jayron Hosley, who was actually drafted ahead of Givens despite testing positive for banned substances at the combine. Givens appears to torch Hosley, but watch for Hosley grabbing his hamstring at the end of the play.

Hosley did in fact injure his hamstring on the play and missed the rest of the game. He had also missed two practices during the week with tenderness in the hamstring, so it's safe to say that Hosley and his 4.47 combine speed were not completely present on the play.

On the two plays that follow at 1:36, Givens is tackled easily in the open field on short passes because he stumbles trying throttle up, negating his speed

At 2:03, Givens' quickness to get a clean release does allow him to get separation on redshirt freshman corner Detrick Bonner, who was Hosley's replacement. Bonner is beaten and he does get a little grabby, but he also looks back for the ball. The corner is able to break up the pass, as Givens fails to make a strong enough play on the ball to draw a flag.

In the NFL, Givens will be facing more experienced and speedy cornerbacks than Detrick Bonner. In fact, with the Hokies' best corner out for the game, you would expect Givens to have had a large effect on the outcome.

However, Givens and his game-breaking speed only ended up producing six catches for 61 yards in the 38-17 loss to Virginia Tech. He might have terrific speed in a straight line, but his footwork and plays on the ball in flight will have to improve if Givens is going to continue to pride himself on his ability to run away from defenders.

Whatever there Siggy .. Givens looks fast enough to me ..

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Re: Is Rams 4th-Rounder Givens' Speed as Impressive as Sam Bradford Thinks It Is? (Bl

Givens appears to torch Hosley, but watch for Hosley grabbing his hamstring at the end of the play.
    If I was torched for a 79-yard touchdown reception I'd grab my hamstring too.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Is Rams 4th-Rounder Givens' Speed as Impressive as Sam Bradford Thinks It Is? (Bl

I'm convinced. I mean, I'd have to be any idiot to believe Bradford and the other people who actually watch him in practice over an internet blogger who nitpicks a game on youtube
    HUbison likes this.

SportsDude is offline Registered User

Donnie Avery 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Also, craig dahl still sucks.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Maybe there is a good reason he fell to the 4th round of the draft and didn't go earlier. In the later rounds everyone is hoping to strike T. Brady gold. Question is of the players drafted after the 2nd round, how many find a home on the team? This kid might make the team with the help of the coaching staff but maybe a stop-gap player till the Rams can acquire the play maker they want for S. Bradford.

Right now its wait and see--its the hard part of the off season especially after last seasons disaster to see where the Rams sit

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Pretty funny stuff. That video shows that it isn't just his evident speed but his hands, close quarter elusiveness,and ability to both beat coverages cleanly & also make contested catches while being THE guy that makes him look well worthy of his draft spot & early praise.

I wondered what this Sigmund fella was seeing that I didn't then a little googlatin' revealed that Bloom is a Syracuse alum, making the jaundiced ax he was grinding all too easy to identify. Syracuse pulled out a late win vs Wake last year but Givens embarrassed their D for 7 catches, 170 yds, & two TDs. Didn't see any pulled hammies but he did break two tackles from trailing burned defenders on his 60 yder in THAT game, among quite a few other impressive plays.

Sigmund, sometimes a whuppin' is just a whuppin' and that's what Givens did to both teams last year.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Im not sure what Sig Bloom is seeing on the long TD pass to Givens. The guy pulled his hamstring because he got smoked. How do you think he got behind him Sigmund. I also believe it's almost impossible to gauge their speeds, when their running at different angles to the goalline.
    He looks nice and shifty to me, and has the straight line speed to go with it. Good value for a fourth rounder.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Ahh yes, Sigmund Bloom.. named the new Rams HC!

THE DREAM TEAM

MACD is offline Registered User

I saw quite a few jock straps lying on the field after Givens juked them.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

No offense to Maui, but maybe its not necessary to post every blog entry regarding the Rams.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I wonder which one game the Rams scouts chose to solely evaluate Givens on...

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    No offense to Maui, but maybe its not necessary to post every blog entry regarding the Rams.
    Keep em comming Maui. It's gonna be a long ninety days.
    I'm the guy that walks up after the argument's started.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Finally watched the video of the VT game and personally, I was very impressed with Givens.

Proves that people see what they want to see.