throwback week

Thread: Rams

RamTime Guest

Rams

The loss today is not the important issue regarding the Rams.

If Seattle comes in and steals a win from the Rams itís going to suck however that is not the important issue facing the Rams.

If we miss the playoffs that will really bite the big one however this is not what concerns me the most.

What concerns me the most is the direction this team is going. This team seems to go in the direction that they are in the mood for that day. They have shown they can play football, they have shown they are capable of becoming motivated however that motivation is usually absent and it seems that no body in the organization is able to take charge and get the team motivated to play ball at the level they are capable of.

It's not always the head coach that is the motivator. Some people just cannot rally others together as well as others. It doesn't necessarily have to be the head coach that motivates a team but it sure as hell is his responsibility to see that someone gets it done.

The Ravens have Ray Lewis but who's our guy? Anyone care to take a shot at naming our motivator? The truth is, our motivators have been cut, traded or just plain shat on by the Rams. London Fletcher may have not been the best linebacker that played the game but he sure as hell brought his attitude with him on Sundays. Billy Jenkins, Roman Phifier, Rickey Prohel, Az Hakim, Dre Bly Todd Kichen, Toby Wright all had the ability to get the team going.

So out go those guys and in comes Kyle Turley who in my mind was the final straw on the Rams breaking back. He may have been a motivator but his motivation was clearly from his own selfish agenda which was to dismantle the team starting with Warner then take a years hiatis while the smoke cleared.

So now we are left with the crumbled aftermath and we do not know which direction this team is headed. That is the important issue facing the Rams right now.

Which way are we going and how far must we fall before considerable changes are made.

I know I am the minority in this but I think that head coaches should not be given the lead way they are given when it comes down to hiring their staff. To many of them use the good old boy system of repaying people who employed them in another era or just want to help out a buddy. Sure it's noble to repay someone for helping you out along the way but at what expense? When is it ok to say no? If i'm not mistaken didn't Martz also hire a high school coach out of San Diego using the same good old boy system?

The statement made by Martz regarding calling the defense on the one play when the Rams were torched for a TD last week Vs. Miami didn't make a lick of sense and when something doesn't make sense someone is usually lying. Anyone believe Martz's statement or can you now see the cover-up taking place for Marmie or more specifically Martz's decision to hire him. Think about it, it makes no sense. What did Martz say to Marmie, "Hey you mind if I try once"? c'mon. Seems if they wanted to roll play they would do that in the pre season.

I think the best coach available at the coaching position should be considered first then work your way down until accord can be reached with another.

It was clear that Marmie was not the guy that was going to be a difference maker before he was hired and the Rams front office allowed Martz to proceed in that direction anyway.

The only thing we know about Marmie now that we did not know before is that he can take the number 1 turnover defense and turn it into #32 in only one season.

Did anyone jump for joy when Marmie from the Cardinals was hired? No and I sure as hell hope the Rams front office put up some kind of resistance to the hiring before caving into Martz's wish to Hire him.

What we are seeing here is common sense being proven at the expense of the team and the fans. Why? So one person could repay a debt. Make no mistake about it, it was all done for a single person and with high hopes of it not turning out how common sense suggested.

I think the Rams need to keep Martz as the head coach only because there is no way he would take a demotion to O.C and because I really don't want the Rams to have to face him as an O.C. with another franchise however he must be stripped of the tasks that challenge him.

Someone else hire the coaching staff, someone else have final say on personel decisions and for Christ Sakes see that the Rams employ a decent motivator someplace in the organization where it will be an asset to the team.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: Rams

Excellent post RamTime and I agree with most of what you are saying. However, Martz is not going to stand by and let someone else do the hiring. His personality simply will not tolerate that. He has to have things his way. It is very evident in his own words. He is a control freak, not that it's a bad thing, but it is showing to be his Achilles Heel as a head coach. A big happy family of friends and buddies is a good thing, but im not so sure it is meant to be in the world of professional football. Martz would be better suited to hire coordinators with strong egos, like his, and surpervise accordingly.

Plain and simple though - It aint gonna happen - Martz is who he is and he will never change - after 4 1/2 seasons, that much I am sure of.

:ramlogo:

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamTime
    I really don't want the Rams to have to face him as an O.C. with another franchise
    True, but think about it. The primary rumored location for Martz if he left the Rams is San Diego. If Martz goes to an AFC team, the Rams would only face him once every four years, give or take a joint Super Bowl appearance. Now if he goes NFC...
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamTime Guest

Ferter i completely agree with what you are saying about Martz not allowing anyone to stir his coals for him I'm just thinking out loud at what this team needs to turn things around at this stage in their existance. Some things just are not reality however until I can come up with something else just go with it. LOL

Nick
    I want to keep him another year. I just have this feeling that it will come together for him now. Remember, this time it will be a team that he builds and he won't be as careless with his creation as he was with DV's. I hope that last statement doesn't start someone down the all to familiar path of "Martz helped create this team" discussion. Been there done that and it misses the entire point.

LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

The primary rumored location for Martz if he left the Rams is San Diego.
    The way the Chargers are playing now that they actually kept some talent would lead me to beleive that the head coach job is filled over there.

It does not matter to me though. I say give him to the Niners he has done nothing for this team but slowly destroy it. The rams did not win because of Martz. They just slowly broke down. It took awhile for that much talent to disperse, but it has happened.

elAcky Guest

I think that the best thing that could happen to the rams this year (seeing as a SB win is not on the cards) is that we donít make the playoffs..

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Good points RamTime.

The Rams are missing a motivator, someone who makes them play and believe. I don't see any of the players or coaches playing that role and this team, this season, is lacking passion and belief.

I actually think there is a lot of talent on this team. More of it is on the offense, but even that side of the team is not performing.

The change in the defense is the difference between last year and this year. The defense bailed out the Rams in many games last year when the offense could not perform. This year, no energy, no turnovers, no bailouts.

I wish we still had Lovie, Wistrom, and Sorensen. These are some of the key motivators that I have seen leave in the last year or so.

Turley....he is a question mark for me. Was he a motivator for the team or just a disturbance?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]