RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams achieve career milestones

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/11/2005

MINNEAPOLIS Promising wideout Kevin Curtis, who has caught 90 passes for 1,194 yards in three seasons with the Rams, found it difficult Sunday to wrap his arms around the mushrooming numbers that teammates Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt keep piling up.

"It's one thing to come in one year and catch a lot of balls, but those guys have been doing it year in and year out, forever," Curtis said. "They're unbelievable."

On a day when a 27-13 loss to the Minnesota Vikings extended the Rams' late-season fade, Bruce and Holt nonetheless added to their glittering career statistics and moved up in the record books:

Bruce, who had five catches for 66 yards, moved past Charlie Joiner into 10th place on the NFL's career receiving-yards list (12,181). He also became the 14th player in league history to record at least 800 receptions (804).

Although Bruce, 33, said he was "happy, mainly for the organization" to reach such milestones, he didn't want to dwell on their meaning. "I feel like I've got a long career ahead of me," said the 12-year veteran from Memphis State. "So I'm not really ready to put a punctuation mark behind it. I just move on, move to the next week."

With 10 catches for 95 yards, Holt topped the 600-reception mark (602). In the process, he passed Henry Ellard - his position coach - for second place behind Bruce on the franchise's career list.

Holt, 29, also boosted his yards-per-game average to 86.6, the highest in NFL history among players who have appeared in at least 50 games.

The seventh-year pro from North Carolina State said he was particularly pleased to get his 600th catch in the same game when Bruce latched onto No. 800.

"Any time I can go over any milestone with Isaac is something that I'll cherish for the rest of my life," Holt said. "He's a warrior. I've always said he's the epitome of a professional athlete, a guy who comes in week in and week out and prepares himself to go out and play hard to help his football team win ballgames."

As for his own accomplishments, Holt said: "It's tough to really relish in that when your team is suffering the way we're suffering. It's a situation that I haven't gotten quite used to. We're used to winning around here, used to the locker room being a lot of fun."

Also, Marshall Faulk picked up 32 yards on four catches, moving past Larry Centers to become the NFL's career leader in receiving yards among running backs (6,801). Faulk declined to talk with reporters after the game.

The Rams (5-8) have dropped four of their past five games and are in danger of posting just their second sub-.500 record since 1998. From 1999 through the 2004 season, the Rams went 64-32 and qualified for the playoffs every year except 2002, when they finished 7-9.

"This is the NFL, and it fluctuates," Bruce said. "Me personally, I don't think I would've believed (the 5-8 mark). But here we are."

Bruce and Holt are adding to their statistical standings despite missing parts of the season because of injuries. Bruce, who was sidelined for five games with a turf-toe injury, has 27 receptions for 428 yards. Holt sat out two games after suffering a torn knee ligament, but he remains among the league leaders in catches (85) and yards (1,112).

Over their careers, Bruce and Holt have combined for 1,406 catches and 21,449 yards - over 12 miles of real estate.

Ramwraith also scores big for the Rams with his 3000 career post at the Clan. Wraith is one of the first members at the Clan. He has a long way to go to top any of the top posters like Nick and David. He just quietly limps along and does his job. Congrats Jason.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams achieve career milestones

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Ramwraith also scores big for the Rams with his 3000 career post at the Clan. Wraith is one of the first members at the Clan. He has a long way to go to top any of the top posters like Nick and David. He just quietly limps along and does his job. Congrats Jason.
    Man, that Bill Coats is really on top of his game! LOL

Congrats, man! :clanram:
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    I can see it now: Are you a Nickite, an Avengerite, or a Wraithite?

RamWraith is offline Registered User

*LOL*

I was wondering if anyone was going to see that

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Congrats Jason!!!! You made the news with those 3000 posts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CanadianRam! is offline Registered User

i only have like 2930 to go