RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams acquire defensive end; two free agents visit

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    03/02/2007
    Rams Hall
    Defensive end James Hall (96) celebrates after sacking Oakland Raiders quarterback Rick Mirer in a 2003 game. The Lions traded Hall to the Rams for a fifth-round pick in this year's NFL draft.
    (Duane Burleson/AP)

So much for that slow start for the Rams in the free agency and trading period.

By mid-afternoon today at Rams Park, the team had already traded for Detroit defensive end James Hall, and brought in wide receiver Drew Bennett of Tennessee and defensive end-linebacker Tully Banta-Cain of New England for free agent visits.

The Rams acquired Hall for a fifth-round draft pick in the 2006 draft. The Lions traded Hall rather than paying a $500,000 roster bonus, which was due this month. Hall registered five sacks last season in seven games. He missed the last nine games of ’06 because of a shoulder injury, which required surgery.

Rams coach Scott Linehan said Hall should be able to do non-contact work during the spring minicamps and OTAs.
    Advertisement

Hall, 30, entered the NFL in 2000 as an undrafted free agent out of Michigan. He registered 11 sacks in 2004, but has had only 10 total over the past two seasons. Critics of Hall say he is prone to flashes of big plays, but then "disappears" for games at a time.

But from a Rams standpoint, anything would be better than the Rams’ play at right defensive end last year. Other than left end Leonard Little, the Rams got only two sacks at defensive end in ’06. By the end of the season, teams were consciously running at the right side of the Rams’ defensive front.

At 6-2, 280, Hall is an all-around end who can play the run as well as get to the passer.

The Rams inherit his Detroit contract, which has two years remaining. Hall is scheduled to make $2.75 million in ’07 in base salary and $3 million in ’08. He is also due a $500,000 roster bonus prior to the start of free agency.

Speaking of pass rushers, Banta-Cain could provide an immediate boost. Getting to the passer is what he does best. The fourth-year pro from Cal had 5˝ sacks and 40 tackles as a part-time starter in New England.

Banta-Cain, 6-2, 250, can play outside linebacker and defensive end. The Rams foresee using him in the "Buck end" role manned by Raonall Smith last season.

Bennett is perhaps the best wide receiver on the market. His arrival at Rams Park on the first day of free agency signals that the team already is moving on from free agent Kevin Curtis, who was scheduled to visit Minnesota Friday.

At 6-5, 206, Bennett would provide the kind of size that Linehan likes in a slot receiver. Bennett, 28, led the Titans with 46 catches for 737 yards last season. He caught 58 balls in ’05. His best season was ’04, when he caught 80 passes for 1,247 yards and 11 touchdowns.

CoMoChief Guest

Re: Rams acquire defensive end; two free agents visit

James Hall had the privilege of playing next to Shawn Rogers. It will be hard getting a pass rush when your playing next to Jimmy Kennedy.

majorram is offline Registered User

I like the idea of having Bennett and his height at 6-5 espcially in the red Zone and in the slot, nice target for Bulger.....

steve:l
    "The breakfast Club"

thoey is offline Registered User

The Rams acquired Hall for a fifth-round draft pick in the 2006 draft.
    Wow, we got him for:

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
    5 144 Marques Hagans WR Virginia
    This space for rent...

Keenum is offline Registered User

I'd love to bring in Bennett if Curtis is gone. I think both are fairly similar. Curtis is better overall and faster, though.

keith m. klink Guest

we got hall for this years 5rd pick, actually the later one i believe, the one buffalo gave us for tony hargrove. so all we did was really just trade de's. i like that hall is built for a 3-down guy, 6'2 and 280. boy i hope he is healed up and brings it this year. it sounds like this kid can really play when he wants, i just hope that our captains can keep him motivated, but , i'm kinda glad we inherit the detroit contract for two years. if he doesn't pan out well enough, than we still have that timeframe to have a replacement in . not a huge contract to worry about, i like the move , so far so good.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Come on Rams, Hall??? Is that guy any good?? Why couldn't we get someone like Porter?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    Come on Rams, Hall??? Is that guy any good?? Why couldn't we get someone like Porter?
    Hall is a good DE, his last two season have been blighted by injuries, thats all. The last full season he played he put up 11.5 sacks, and the last two years he got 5 in limited playing time.

As a compliment to Leonard Little, its a massive pick up. If we get a guy to fill the middle as well it will be even better.

This is a very underrated move by the Rams.