Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams Add 15 Undrafted Free Agents

Rams Add 15 Undrafted Free Agents
    Monday, April 27, 2009
    By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

The Rams put the finishing touches on their rookie additions Monday afternoon, coming to terms with 15 undrafted free agents to add to the roster.

Mixed in the group of additions are three Big 12 Conference representatives as well as some small school talent with local ties.

And one thing certainly not lacking in the group is beef. The Rams added five offensive linemen and three defensive linemen through free agency, each featuring imposing size.

The names to add to the roster are: guard Roger Allen III, linebacker Ekenemchuku Asiodu, receiver Jarrett Byers, defensive lineman Ian Campbell, receiver Quentin Chaney, linebacker Dominic Douglas, guard Ray Feinga, fullback Jerome Johnson, defensive lineman Mike Newkirk, tackle David Oswald, defensive lineman Kirston Pittman, cornerback Cordelius Parks, safety Mark Rubin, center Daniel Sanders and tackle Phillip Trautwein.

Missouri Western’s Allen comes to the Rams after putting on a show at a pro day at the University of Missouri that the Rams attended.

Listed at 6’2, 326 pounds, Allen represents the type of big, mauling offensive linemen the Rams now covet.

Allen started 48 games for the Griffons, posting 107 knockdown blocks on his way to earning honors as the best small college offensive lineman in the country according to NFL Draft Report.

In search of a potential backup for center Jason Brown, the Rams brought in Sanders from the University of Colorado. Sanders is 6’2, 316 pounds and started 40 games in the middle for the Buffaloes.

As a senior, Sanders was second on the team in knockdown blocks with 60.5. With no true center behind Brown on the roster, Sanders figures to get a long look as a potential backup and developmental prospect.

Joining Allen and Sanders on the interior is Brigham Young’s Feinga. The massive Feinga (6’4, 337 pounds) was an accomplished blocker for the Cougars where he was a two-time all Mountain West Conference selection.

At tackle, the Rams picked up Oswald, a teammate of Feinga’s at BYU. Oswald also cuts an imposing figure at 6’8, 330 pounds and was an ESPN academic All American as a senior.

Also joining the mix at tackle is Florida’s Trautwein, a player the Rams considered taking in the draft. Trautwein is 6’6, 310 pounds and was considered a riser going into the 2008 season but a foot injury hurt his stock.

Trautwein is known as a solid pass protector and a pretty good athlete for a man of his size.

On the other side of the line, the Rams brought in a trio of talented collegians.

Kansas State’s Campbell comes with one of the most impressive resumes of the additions. At 6’5, 232 pounds, Campbell used his speed and effort to become one of the country’s best pass rushers.

In four seasons with the Wildcats, Campbell finished with 20.5 sacks and was a two-time team captain.

Wisconsin’s Newkirk is 6’3, 264 pounds and was an effective pass rusher for the Badgers in 2008, coming up with four sacks and nine tackles for loss as a senior.

Louisiana State’s Pittman earned a reputation as one of the hardest working players in the country. At 6’4, 258 pounds, Pittman registered 7.5 sacks as a junior to go with 12.5 tackles for loss before injuries limited him in his senior season.

Staying on defense, the Rams added a pair of linebackers, a safety and a cornerback to add to their depth.

Central Oklahoma State’s Asiodu (who goes by K.C.) is a 6’3, 240-pounder who transferred from UNLV.

Mississippi State’s Douglas hopes to follow in the footsteps of the most recent former Bulldog signed to a rookie contract. Quinton Culberson followed the same path and is still with the team.

Douglas (6’2, 227 pounds) had 116 tackles and an interception as a senior following a 2007 campaign in which he accumulated 78 stops.

Parks played collegiately at Northeastern where he was productive for the Huskies posting 54 tackles and two fumble recoveries last season.

Penn State’s Rubin is 6’3, 216 pounds and played four years for the Nittany Lions. As a senior, he racked up 60 tackles with a pair of interceptions in his first year as a full time starter.

At receiver, perhaps the position where a young undrafted player might have his best chance to stick, the Rams grabbed Northeast Oklahoma State’s Byers and Oklahoma’s Chaney.
    Byers earned a bid to the Cactus Bowl after reaching All American status in his senior season. He finished his career as the all-time leader in receptions (165), receiving yards (2545) and touchdowns receptions with 28.

In the Cactus Bowl, Byers caught a 48-yard touchdown from Rams’ sixth-round pick Keith Null, a quarterback from West Texas A&M.

Chaney brings incredible size to the position at 6’5, 203 pounds and finished his career at Oklahoma with 44 catches for 767 yards and six touchdowns.

Nevada-Reno’s Johnson (6’1, 240 pounds) played linebacker for the Wolfpack but could project to fullback for the Rams behind free agent addition Mike Karney.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Add 15 Undrafted Free Agents

c'mon nick! you must have beat me by a mili-second! Hope our receivers will be as fast as you this season! LOL!
    Last edited by LA Rammer; -04-27-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: amazement
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    [B] one thing certainly not lacking in the group is beef. The Rams added five offensive linemen and three defensive linemen through free agency, each featuring imposing size.

Chaney brings incredible size to the position at 6’5, 203 pounds and finished his career at Oklahoma with 44 catches for 767 yards and six touchdowns.
    This is what I'm talking about. There is potential. Hope these can add to depth. We'll find out soon!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

RealRam is online now Registered User

And one thing certainly not lacking in the group is beef. -- N. W.
    Not lacking beef? I'd say a large cattle ranch! Let's replace some of those horns with RAM bighorn.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I cant believe no one has criticized the list yet.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

codeman123 is offline Registered User

I hope that 6'5 receiver can show some skills.
    Feinga was a huge steal he was one of the top rated guards
    Campbell is also a great pass rusher and has a chance to make the team.
    Rest of the guys seems like camp bodies.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I cant believe no one has criticized the list yet.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I can't believe you asked fot it.....

I don't like the list because the names and positions are stacked in a horizontal formation.

I'd prefer a list that is stacked in vertical formation with positions abbreviated.

Rawr is offline Registered User

Chaney had good moments at Oklahoma. He always looked talented, and actually seemed to move fairly well for his size. He never seemed to be used very much, though. Part of this was being behind talented receivers, but I guess he wasn't do as well as he should have. Oklahoma had talented receivers, but they weren't unbeateable. Of the three main receivers, one was a freshman, and one was a 7th rounder. Malcolm Kelly is the only tall receiver to come out of Oklahoma, though, so maybe taller receivers just don't fit in there.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

I dont like the list because they did not state where they fell on the depth chart. They should have said who each one was behind and if they where 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th behind the starter at the position they play.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    I can't believe you asked fot it.....

I don't like the list because the names and positions are stacked in a horizontal formation.

I'd prefer a list that is stacked in vertical formation with positions abbreviated.

I second this. Perhaps even a title at the top of each column. Name/Position/Beef Percentage...etc.

RealRam is online now Registered User

I can't believe you asked for it.....

-- Ferter
    ...And a picture of each player too!

Found this interesting, on guard Roger Allen
    6-2 1/2", 325 lbs. From NFL Draft Prospects

Overview

In the school's history, there has never been an offensive lineman that could dominate a game the way Allen did during his 48 contests starting for the Griffons. The former Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association Freshman of the Year (first offensive lineman to ever earn that award) has a mantel full of postseason honors for each of his seasons at MWSU.

Few linemen in the collegiate game boast Allen's raw power and explosive first step coming off the snap. He simply manhandled the low level of competition he faced, as once he anchored in the trenches, his opposition found him to be an immovable object that they simply could not handle in one-on-one confrontations. On the team's last 92 scoring drives, Allen produced 26 touchdown-resulting blocks, a remarkable feat for an offensive guard.

Allen was a standout lineman at Raytown (Mo.) High School. During his prep career, he regularly earned all-metro and all-conference accolades. The 250-pound defensive end received a two-star rating from Scout.com and was recruited by the University of Illinois prior to enrolling at Missouri Western.

In 2005, he garnered MIAA Freshman of the Year honors. He started all 12 games at offensive guard, and his drive blocking helped the team's rushing attack average 4.7 yards per carry. As a sophomore, he was named All-MIAA first-team. The Griffons again rushed for over 2,000 yards behind their right guard, who delivered 10 touchdown-resulting blocks in 2006.

Allen earned All-American first-team honors from The NFL Draft Report and received All-Southwest Region recognition, in addition to adding another All-MIAA first-team berth during his junior campaign. The Griffons rushed for more than 2,000 yards for the third straight year, as their right guard delivered 13 touchdown-resulting blocks and registered 92 knockdowns, finishing with an 85.5 percent grade for blocking consistency, the third-best among Division II blockers.

The senior started nine games at right guard and three late-season contests at right tackle for Missouri Western in 2008. He was again an All-American choice by The NFL Draft Report, as that scouting service rated him the best offensive lineman in the small college ranks. The American Football Coaches Association awarded him with All-American accolades, becoming just the third player in school history to make the AFCA team.

The offense struggled most of the year, but their top prospect produced a league-high 107 knockdowns while posting 14 touchdown-resulting blocks. Allen finished his final season with a career-high blocking consistency of 88.25 percent, the highest mark earned by a blocker in the NCAA Division II ranks.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Analysis

Positives: Wide body with long, strong arms to anchor inside. Quick enough to seal inside or outside shoulder of tackles when head-up. Moves to the second level and comes out of his stance quicker than his timed speed would indicate. Gets low to move his man off the ball on run plays. Works hard through the whistle. Solid on double teams, and does not let up during the play.

Negatives: Only adequate height and athleticism for an offensive lineman. Played at a lower level of competition. Does not sustain in pass protection after initial punch, and will get beat if the quarterback hangs onto the ball. Will miss targets in space. Punches and overextends in pass protection and when trying to secure the linebacker, instead of latching on and moving his feet to sustain. Winds up on the ground too often.

Injury Report
    2009: Suffered a sports hernia in the Texas vs. Nation all-star game, resulting in Feb. 11 surgery that kept him from working out at the Combine.

Hmm, does the above -- and the following -- qualify this big boy as a 'sleeper'?

Roger Allen impresses NFL scouts
    by R.J. Cooper
    Friday, March 27, 2009

Roger Allen made NFL scouts wait a month to see him perform drills, and the former Missouri Western guard made it worth their wait.

In front of about 50 scouts at Missouri’s pro day in Columbia last week, Allen bench pressed 225 pounds 38 times. The NFL invited Allen to February’s combine, but the senior suffered a sports hernia during an all-star game and had to sit out all of the drills in Indianapolis.

Allen still is recovering from the injury and didn’t run the 40-yard dash or any other timed runs last week. But he did do a few position drills in addition to the bench press. Allen’s 38 reps would have ranked him second among all combine participants, behind only Texas Tech guard Louis Vasquez’s 39.

“I think it showed that I have pretty much recovered from my injury,” Allen said. “I showed scouts and teams what they were looking for, that I can compete and I’m doing better and that the sports hernia is not going to be a nagging injury.

“I felt much better when I got the 38. I had never done that before.”

The Carolina Panthers have continued to show acute interest in Allen, who is hearing from scouts and his agent that he likely will go in the mid-to-late rounds of next month’s NFL draft. Allen plans to run the 40 and the rest of the timed drills for scouts at Western’s pro day next Thursday.

“Free agent is really not that high of a likelihood, but I still prefer to be prepared for anything,” Allen said. “As long as I run well on my 40 and all my drills, have decent times, I could easily slide up to the mid-rounds because my film shows I can play. All they want to see is if I’m athletic enough to play against an elite athlete.”

Northwest Missouri State guard Tom Pestock also took part in Missouri’s pro day, though Allen said the MIAA rivalry didn’t carry over into the draft process.

“It’s friendly. We’re all cordial. We’re all free agents now,” said Allen, who did add he bested Pestock in the bench press. “So I guess we have to bury the hatchet when it comes to schools and all of that.”
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-27-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Quoted article

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Roger Allen III, Guard, 6’2, 326 pounds Missouri Western
    Ekenemchuku "K.C."Asiodu, LB, 6'3 240, Central Oklahoma State
    Jarrett Byers, WR, 5'10 186, Northeast Oklahoma State’s
    Ian Campbell, DE, 6'4 265, Kansas State
    Quentin Chaney, WR, 6'5 203, Oklahoma
    Dominic Douglas, LB, 6'2 227, Miss. State
    Ray Feinga, Guard, 6'4 337, BYU
    Jerome Johnson, FB, 6’1 240, Nevada Reno
    Mike Newkirk, DL, 6'3 264, Wiscounsin
    David Oswald,OT, 6'8 330, BYU
    Kirston Pittman, DL, 6'4 254, LSU
    Cordelius Parks, CB, 5'11 189, NorthEastern
    Mark Rubin, Safety, 6'3 216, Penn State
    Daniel Sanders, Center, 6'2 316, Colorado
    Phillip Trautwein, OT, 6'6 310, Florida

When Devaney and Spags said they wanted to get bigger, they weren't kidding with these guys..
    Last edited by eric2810; -04-27-2009 at 11:49 PM.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I really like the list its full of the big uglies that will give some good depth if they make the team. I think it is obvious how we want to build our line and the more I look at it the more Jacob Bell doesn't fit in at LG at 295. I'm not worried about Smith he is 309 right now, but I think he will end up around 320. Bell did play his best flanked by a great center and LT and maybe he can do that flanked by Smith and Brown. On the other hand I could really see the Rams starting to bigger more physical guards in Grecco and Cogs

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Some names I really liked were Roger Allen, Ian Campbell, Rey Feinga, and Kirtson Pittman. The DE's have alot of ability as pass rushers, but there measurables aren't that great. I think they are the hard workers that could contribute to Spags d-line rotation if they make the roster.

I really like Roger Allen and Feinga. Those 2 IMO are the guys who have the highest chance of aming the roster. Both are big mauling guards who could develop into great depth.

Aaron Kelley, Frantz Joseph, and Lee Robinson are still out there and they definately deserve a look also
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -04-27-2009 at 11:59 PM.

blood85 is offline Registered User

That's the best part about picking up all these young guys, let them compete, so we can "hopefully" end up with the best players.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast