throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Varg6 is offline Registered User

Rams Add Moe Help At Running Back...

Rams Add Moe Help at Running Back
    Wednesday, August 2, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

The Rams’ search for a No. 2 running back brought a face from Scott Linehan’s past into his present. Former Viking Moe Williams agreed to terms with the Rams on a one-year contract.

Williams is entering his 11th NFL season after spending nine years in Minnesota. Three of those years, Williams spent with Linehan, who was his offensive coordinator there.

That familiarity is one reason he became the team’s choice for its open running back spot.

“What Moe brings is someone who is familiar with our system, but is also a veteran who has played a role as a backup and as a three,” Linehan said. “Moe is a strong special teams player as well. We just strengthened our team by adding a real quality backup running back who has played very well.”

In Williams’ 10 years in the league (he spent his other season in Baltimore); he has posted 1,826 yards on 435 carries with 21 touchdowns. He also has 154 receptions for 1,511 yards with four touchdowns and 63 kickoff returns for an average of 22.1 yards with one touchdown.

Williams has started 12 of his 132 games, spending most of his career as a backup or third running back. Williams has earned a reputation as a bruising back even though he is just 6’1, 205 pounds.

“If you ever get in one of those games where the defense was going to bring that middle linebacker and challenge you, we always had Moe,” Linehan said. “He’s very sound, nothing flashy about him. He’s a get it done type of guy.

“We used him in short yardage a lot. He’s kind of a short yardage/third down guy.”

Williams is recovering from microfracture knee surgery, an operation he had in November of last year that ended his season. After failing to complete a physical in St. Louis on his first visit in the spring, Williams visited again Tuesday and came to an agreement with the Rams.

While Williams is still coming off the knee injury, Linehan said his familiarity with the offense will help him get up to speed quickly. Because of Williams’ knowledge of the offense, he will be eased back into football shape during camp.

“We know Moe probably doesn’t have 10 years left in his career but he and I have a really good relationship and he looks and feels as good as ever,” Linehan said. “We just have to work him into shape and make sure we aren’t trying to push him too fast.”

The Rams expect Williams to compete for the No. 2 running back job left vacant by the knee surgery of Marshall Faulk. Tony Fisher, whom the team signed from Green Bay in the offseason as a No. 3 back, has taken most of the reps behind starter Steven Jackson. Paul Smith has also been in the mix at tailback and fullback.

Youngsters Antoine Bagwell, John David Washington and Fred Russell are also competing.

The addition of Williams comes only a day after another former Vikings back, Michael Bennett, was traded from New Orleans to Kansas City. Bennett had been one of the objects of the Rams’ affections in recent weeks, but the Saints were hesitant to trade Bennett within the conference assuming the trade offers were equal.

“Things happen for a reason,” Linehan said. “I certainly would have liked to entertain that option, but you have to have two parties to agree to get it done. We certainly were a willing party, but the other side wasn’t.”

Despite the addition of Williams, Linehan said the Rams’ will continue to keep an eye peeled for more help at the position.

“Things work out the way they do for a reason,” Linehan said. “We will continue to keep our eyes on No. 2 running backs that become available. A lot of things can happen between now and the season.”

TERRELL STILL OUT: Guard Claude Terrell missed another workout Wednesday morning as he continues to be bothered by his offseason wrist surgery.

Terrell, who started seven games at guard in 2005, has been replaced by Richie Incognito atop the depth chart at left guard and has struggled some with conditioning.

The second-year guard out of New Mexico stayed on a side field during the morning workout, running and working on his conditioning.

RAM BITS: One sequence during Wednesday morning’s workout seemed to be a highlight right out of the Twilight Zone. On consecutive plays receiver Torry Holt dropped a sure touchdown pass from Marc Bulger, Gus Frerotte hit Chris Massey in the back of the head with a pass and safety Oshiomogho Atogwe dropped an easy interception…Leonard Little missed practice for the second day in a row as he continues to recover from the flu…DeJuan Groce returned to action after struggling with a hamstring injury…Marques Hagans is progressing well at receiver and as a punt returner and Linehan said Hagans will soon be working on kick returns as well.

Sounds fine to me, but what are these articles coming to with names like "Rams Add Moe Help At Running Back".

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Add Moe Help At Running Back...

Look another player from Linehan's past....lol....so predictable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Haha gus hit massey in the head, I started crackin up when I read that
    Built RAM tough

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    And here I thought Mike Martz was the only person who signed people from their past...

*chases down cat to put it back in the bag*
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I am sure they all do it Nick, but it cracks me up to see the coaches get tunnel vision on players that they have worked with in the past. It makes me wonder if Linehan has any talent scouts that he trusts to identify quality players that would fit in the system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bruce4life is offline Registered User

the players that martz called upon a 2nd time around like roland williams, jeff robinson, jay williams( signed in offseason last year and then suddenly released), really didnt workout as planned... lets hope linehan's old players dont follow suit...

Yoda Guest

I may be by myself on this one, but I like this move. Moe is a solid running back, and haven forbid SJ goes down, Moe will do well with Tony Fisher. Plus, Moe had good seasons with Liney in Minny.

I got negative rep points for my comments on this thread, but yet again from someone that will not leave their name. So my response to your "what does that matter" comment is that it matters because Linehan has only worked with a small percentage of the players out there and he is severly limiting the team's options if he is only considering players that he has worked with before. There are players that are on 32 different teams and there are rookies that he has never worked with that should be considered.

If you wanted to discuss something, you might as well bring it to the thread so that it can be discussed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eldfan is offline Registered User

Linehan said. “We just have to work him into shape and make sure we aren’t trying to push him too fast.”

“We will continue to keep our eyes on No. 2 running backs that become available. A lot of things can happen between now and the season.”

It sound like to me there is still a concern about Mo health. It also sound like that Linehan is not sold on him being the # 2, he is leaving the door open for looking at other backs if they become available.
    :ramlogo:

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan
    Linehan said. “We just have to work him into shape and make sure we aren’t trying to push him too fast.”

“We will continue to keep our eyes on No. 2 running backs that become available. A lot of things can happen between now and the season.”

It sound like to me there is still a concern about Mo health. It also sound like that Linehan is not sold on him being the # 2, he is leaving the door open for looking at other backs if they become available.
    Correct, Linehan got this guy because atleast he knows what he can and can't do, and would be familiar to the system, so he can come right into Training Camp, and hopefully immediately start working, and not have to learn the whole playbook. On the other hand, he did say that big things can happen between now and September 10th, so for the guys and gals who are disappointed with Moe, keep your fingers crossed for a better guy.

Personally, I think he's fine, I don't have many worries about this guy.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

JackieSlater is offline Registered User

So out of the list of possable names to try and grab, who else if you would be in Linehan's shoes, would you try and go for?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I hear ya. The running back market is pretty slim pickings right now. I understand how one might have misgivings about some of the other coaches' favorites that have been brought in (say Raonall Smith or Fakhir Brown perhaps), but on this occasion there just weren't a lot of other options.

Quote Originally Posted by JackieSlater
    So out of the list of possable names to try and grab, who else if you would be in Linehan's shoes, would you try and go for?
    Do you have a list? If you list them, then I will tell you what my choice would be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JackieSlater is offline Registered User

Do you have a list? If you list them, then I will tell you what my choice would be.
    Cant bring up a list... however i'm sure that there were not that many 'big' names in them, apart from the possable Brown/Bennett... possably Williams was the best choice.. Why? do do you have in mind UB?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

As for FAs, there is:

Lamar Gordon
    Jonathen Wells
    James Jackson
    Mike Cloud
    Aveion Cason

probably others, but that's what I see at this point.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast