Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Rams add new additions to Coaching Staff

Rams announce hiring of three assistant coaches
    NFL.com Wire Reports

Head coach Steve Spagnuolo announced Monday that he has hired Dick Curl, Paul Ferraro and Frank Leonard to join his first St. Louis Rams staff.

"We are excited to make this announcement," Spagnuolo said in a statement released by the team. "All three are exactly what we are looking for. All are of high character and all about team. We feel very fortunate to add to our staff great teachers with tremendous experience. They look forward to getting started."

Curl, who was the Kansas City Chiefs' assistant head coach and quarterbacks coach for the past three seasons, will hold the same titles in St. Louis. The 46-year coaching veteran came to the NFL in 2000 and worked in the Chiefs' scouting department and also was on the New York Jets' staff from 2003 to 2005 as an assistant.

Ferraro, who had been the Minnesota Vikings' special teams coordinator since 2006, will join the Rams' defensive staff. He has been a coach for 27 years, four in the NFL.

Leonard, who spent the last two seasons at Kansas State as tight ends coach, will be on St. Louis' offensive staff. He's a 28-year coaching veteran and most recently spent time in the NFL as a special assignment scout for the New England Patriots from 2003 to 2006.

HornIt is offline Registered User

Re: Rams add new additions to Coaching Staff

Dick Curl is essentially moving across the state and keeping the same job. He was the Assistant Head Coach / QB's Coach with the Chiefs. He coached with Spags in NFLE both in Barcelona and Frankfurt. Here's his bio from the Chiefs web site:

Dick Curl enters his sixth season as an NFL coach and his third campaign on Herm Edwards’ staff in Kansas City. Curl is in his second tour of duty with the Chiefs after serving as Kansas City’s pro personnel assistant from 2000-02. Prior to rejoining the Chiefs, Curl spent three seasons working on Edwards’ staff with the N.Y. Jets (2003-05).

Curl works in close conjunction with Edwards, fulfilling a number of weekly and gameday responsibilities. A former collegiate quarterback, this veteran coach owns a wealth of experience as both a head coach and offensive coordinator that should only prove beneficial in the development of third-year QB Brodie Croyle.

Curl spent nine seasons leading high-powered offensive attacks in NFL Europe, including three seasons as the head coach of the Frankfurt Galaxy (’98-99). During his tenure with Frankfurt, his squad made two World Bowl appearances and won the NFL Europe title following the ‘99 NFLEL season.

In his final season with the Jets in 2005, Curl served as the assistant to the head coach and also coached the club’s running backs. That Jets running back corps included four-time Pro Bowl RB Curtis Martin, who concluded his career as the fourth-leading rusher in NFL history.

Curl served as the senior offensive assistant/special projects for the Jets in 2004. His numerous responsibilities included assisting Edwards with game management and other areas. In 2003, Curl tutored the Jets tight ends.

In his first stint with Kansas City as the club’s pro personnel assistant he evaluated players with pro experience and was the club’s advance scout during the season. He joined the Chiefs after spending three seasons as the head coach of the Frankfurt Galaxy of NFLEL. The Galaxy won the World Bowl in ‘99 and also made the game in ‘98 as Curl was named the league’s Coach of the Year after both of those campaigns. He remains the only coach in NFLEL history to win the honor in two consecutive seasons. He led the Galaxy to a 17-13 record during his tenure with that club.

Before being named the head coach in Frankfurt, Curl served as offensive coordinator of the Barcelona Dragons from ‘91-97. The Dragons made a World Bowl appearance in ‘91 before winning the league title in ‘97. Known as the “Mad Bomber” in NFLEL circles for his tendency to throw the ball, Curl led an offensive attack headed by QB Jon Kitna that averaged 360.2 yards per game in ‘97.

The Chester, Pennsylvania native amassed 30 years of coaching experience prior to his tenure in NFL Europe, enjoying a 19-year college stay. The masterful college recruiter had coaching stints at Boston College, Rutgers, Virginia and Trenton State, where he served as head coach in ‘74. He served as the offensive coordinator at Trenton State, Virginia and Rutgers where he was instrumental in recruiting Chiefs Hall of Fame enshrinee S Deron Cherry to Rutgers during his time with the Scarlet Knights. A former quarterback at Richmond, Curl joined the collegiate ranks in ‘73 after spending 11 years at the high school level, including nine years as a head coach.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Ok, still have never heard of any of those guys but if Spags picked them, let's go.

Tony Banks is offline Registered User

How could you not love a guy named Dick Curl?
    :1:

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Curl did a really good job with Tyler Thigpen, with that sort of spread offense

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    Rams announce hiring of three assistant coaches
    NFL.com Wire Reports

Head coach Steve Spagnuolo announced Monday that he has hired Dick Curl, Paul Ferraro and Frank Leonard to join his first St. Louis Rams staff.

Leonard, who spent the last two seasons at Kansas State as tight ends coach, will be on St. Louis' offensive staff. He's a 28-year coaching veteran and most recently spent time in the NFL as a special assignment scout for the New England Patriots from 2003 to 2006.
    Funny thing happened last week. I received a phone call from a salesman that calls on my company. He knew from visiting my office that I am a huge RAMS fan. He called to let me know that the RAMS had hired Frank Leonard. Frank and the salesman went to school together and have remained close. This particular salesman is kind of a jokester so in mind I was trying to figure out if my leg was being pulled or what? I mean, I had never heard of this guy Frank Leonard, so I've been patiently waiting to read or hear if this was a true story or not. I guess it's a good thing I didn't try to call the guys bluff, huh?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

at least someone with the surname Leonard will contribute next season

RealRam is offline Registered User

Interesting résumés. New faces, new hope. I look forward then to a renewed and effective coaching leadership throughout the Rams team.

In SS I trust.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Is anyone else curious what a "special assignment scout" for the New England Patriots means? Maybe Leonard will be our new cameraman.

HornIt is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    at least someone with the surname Leonard will contribute next season
    Jokes aside, I think the new offense may very well play to Brian Leonard's strengths. You want backs that can catch the ball out of the backfield in this offense. I just hope he can get the shoulders healthy. Not to mention that I can see Leonard as a Spags kind of player.

Simplex3 is offline Registered User

Not to burst your bubble guys, but Dick Curl was an abortion in KC. He was in charge of in-game clock management (which was abysmal) as well as having significant input into the belief that Brokie (not a typo) Croyle and Damon Huard could QB the Chiefs to a successful season.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Maybe Leonard will be our new cameraman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Banks View Post
    How could you not love a guy named Dick Curl?
    Both of these got me laughin a bit. Props Guys.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

our coaches have some crazy ass names lmao...

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I've been reading the Chiefs forums, apparently Dick Curl is a horrible coach in their eyes. And he was given the title of assistant HC...hm. We'll see how this one turns out.

Dick Curl - Chiefs Fans Opinions
    Last edited by Bald_81; -01-27-2009 at 04:57 AM.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Been reading the Chiefs forums, apparently Dick Curl is a horrible coach. And he was given the title of assistant HC...hm. We'll see how this one turns out.

Dick Curl - Chiefs Fans Opinions
    the Falcons this year had our former O-line coach as their O-line coach,that panned out well for them even if he didnt have good results here..also the likes of April,Fisher,Fox & Turner were on our staff when we were pretty bad and they have shown they are better than what we thought at the time.

from what ive read it seems that Curl had a lot more decisions to make off his own back than he will have here,we have Pat Shurmur to look after our O and he`s been a succesful QB coach and well our HC will be in-charge of clock management.
    im thinking Curl will just be someone to work with the back-up Qb`s and be part of the coaching team..a small cog,sound board type person..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast