Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Rams agree on terms with bell.

TODAY IS A GREAT DAY.

As expected they signed him before english class. And I got two Butterfingers because the candy machine spit two out. Great day.

Welcome to STL Bell. May you give us great service, save Marc and lead SJAX to a good year.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Of course, he was flanked by two elite players, C Kevin Mawae and LT Michael Roos.
    Add tha to the fact that he's getting less than half of what the elite guards are getting and I'd have to really question the "best" guard in free agency quote. A good pickup but hardly great. No pro-bowls. Tore his ACL his rookie year. Has one full season of starting(2007/contract year-hmmmm).

I think his versatility is a good thing but let's not get too excited about a one year starter just yet.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Excellent! A ... m u c h ... needed body for our OL! :r

Mooselini is offline Registered User

08-09 is already starting to look better.

Slimdog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    Add tha to the fact that he's getting less than half of what the elite guards are getting and I'd have to really question the "best" guard in free agency quote. A good pickup but hardly great. No pro-bowls. Tore his ACL his rookie year. Has one full season of starting(2007/contract year-hmmmm).

I think his versatility is a good thing but let's not get too excited about a one year starter just yet.
    I'm his cousin and I just joined this forum. He is not a one year starter. He started as a rookie when Pillar got injured 4 years ago. He made the NFL all rookie team and the only time he didn't start was when he had the knee injury. He will be a GREAT asset for the Rams for years to come. He has great footwork and him being teamed with Pace will give Bulger the time he needs. He allowed 1 sack this past season. Doesn't cause penalties and he never quits until the whistle is blown. Watch some Titans games where he played. He is always downfield...I am EXCITED for him to be a Ram!!! There were 10 teams interested in him, so I think you got a great pickup. I had Jackson on my fantasy squad this past year and I will be DEFINITELY trying for him again this year because he will GO OFF!!!
    Last edited by Slimdog; -03-04-2008 at 01:30 AM.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Nice little tidbit. He and Ben Rothlesberger played together at Miami Ohio and they both have the same birthday. They also signed big multi year contracts the same one day after their birthday.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Does anyone actually believe this for even a second? I chuckled to myself quite heartily.
    Yes, because I had him as my top offensive guard, because he's 27, not 31. He's on his way up and played for just as good of a running teams as Faneca, only Faneca's on his way down. Granted, Young and Big Ben are different QB's, however the Titans line didn't have as much of an issue with sacks.

This is a great pickup and exactly what I have been preaching this whole time. Be patient, let the glitzy name come off the board and pick up the better, unknown guy for half the cost. Maybe all of you whiners who can't get over the Browns and Jets and Phins and Whiners have money to burn and waste can finally see that it's not all about splashes on day one.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Come on people. We don't know how much Bell is making so please don't speculate. The Titans upped their offer just today supposedly so I doubt the Rams got him for $4 million per season.

I love the signing. I wanted either Bell or Scott so I'm happy. Setterstrom and Incognito can battle it out for the other guard position and we have starter quality as the backup. Sweet.

Now, the Rams need a #3 OT and a center signed. Fry is more likely to start at Center than Setterstrom in my opinion.

According to my uncle, Jacob got 6 years 36 million with 13 million guaranteed and a 3 million dollar signing bonus...

Black Hills Ramman is offline Registered User

Fantastic. This could be the beginning of a very solid OL, considering the injuries etc. from last year, we can only get better and actually if you look back to the end of the 06 season, our OL was really cranking, we get back to that and I too will be chasing Steven endzone Jackson for my FFB #1. (OK, I probably would have anyway :} )
    BLACK HILLS RAMMAN

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Yes, because I had him as my top offensive guard, because he's 27, not 31. He's on his way up and played for just as good of a running teams as Faneca, only Faneca's on his way down. Granted, Young and Big Ben are different QB's, however the Titans line didn't have as much of an issue with sacks.

This is a great pickup and exactly what I have been preaching this whole time. Be patient, let the glitzy name come off the board and pick up the better, unknown guy for half the cost. Maybe all of you whiners who can't get over the Browns and Jets and Phins and Whiners have money to burn and waste can finally see that it's not all about splashes on day one.
    Oh please, this guy is not in Faneca's class. Perhaps he has some potential and he's a few years younger, but I'm sure every NFL team would take Faneca over him any day of the week if they came at the same price. If the Rams had said, we had him ranked number one because Faneca would be asking for too much, then I'd believe it, but to infer that they thought he was a better lineman is just ridiculous. The fact that they went after Faneca first and offered him a lot more money shows that they thought more highly of him. Most people on this board never even heard of this guy until his name starting circulating with rumors that the Rams were interested.
    Last edited by moloch41; -03-04-2008 at 02:11 AM.

General Ram Guest

I would take Jacob bell. The way that alan faneca handled the situation told me that he only cared about money. plus Jacob is younger and will be better IMO. and alan faneca said straight up that he didint want to be a ram.

A little unknown tidbit about my cousin for those who doubt: The day before the draft, he flew down to Dallas to speak with Jerry Jones and Jones said that Dallas would take him in the 3rd round. Well, the 3rd round came...and went. I was watching the tv waiting for the Dallas 3rd round pick for Jacob...and they picked some guard from Georgia. Of course I was disapponted and sat there with baited breath until he got picked in the 5th round by Tennesse. I am now glad he didn't go to Dallas because I think the Rams are a way better fit for what he does. Him being teamed with another Ohio product (Pace) is gonna be AWSOME BABY!!! You'll be impressed with his work eithic. He is well grounded and a great role model. Character that is sorely needed in the NFL today...

moklerman is offline Registered User

Thanks for the insight Slimdog. Hopefully your cousin can help drag the Rams into respectibility.

However, my points aren't to insult your cousin just to be realistic.

I realize he played well his rookie season but that doesn't dismiss the fact that he couldn't finish the year with a knee injury. Knee injuries are generally a red flag. Not a deal breaker or something that can't be overcome, but I don't think there's anyone too excited about hearing that about a player.

Second, I assume because of the injury, he didn't start much of '05. One start I think?

Third, there is a big difference between one year starter and a full season of starting. 2007 is the only year he started every game(16). Durability is more of an issue for the Rams at this position in my opinion. It would be nice for them to get an all-pro but I think most would settle for a guy who isn't a liability and plays every week.

I will have to defer to you on how many teams were interested in him. I only saw him scheduled to visit the Rams. Of course, my point was that the Titans didn't seem to offer him a whole lot and if eight other teams were vying for his services the Rams either got bid up and overpaid or his value isn't as a top tier guard.

A good player with potential but possibly a risk and a reach. His size and strength are also potential issues. I don't know because I've never paid attention to him since I don't watch the Titans much. But I would be a little more excited about a guy if he didn't have multiple areas of potential risk.

The Rams have acquired far too many guys who had question marks that didn't pan out for me to be too excited about this deal. If he plays well, starts all 16 games for at least a year or two and the offense can actually get out of it's own way, then I'll take the proverbial deep breath that everyone else seems to be doing.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

I wish Jacob nothing but the best and hope that he is indeed, and continues to be, a model citizen as well as a great asset to our team!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-03-2008, 10:21 PM