Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 127
  1. #61
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Rams agree on terms with bell.

    Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Oh please, this guy is not in Faneca's class. Perhaps he has some potential and he's a few years younger, but I'm sure every NFL team would take Faneca over him any day of the week if they came at the same price. If the Rams had said, we had him ranked number one because Faneca would be asking for too much, then I'd believe it, but to infer that they thought he was a better lineman is just ridiculous. The fact that they went after Faneca first and offered him a lot more money shows that they thought more highly of him. Most people on this board never even heard of this guy until his name starting circulating with rumors that the Rams were interested.
    It's not that ridiculous. I'll admit it would be more believable if we hadn't pursued Faneca first, but there are plenty of good linemen out there whose names I haven't heard because they don't get the stats that are so easy to compare. You don't play linemen in fantasy leagues. Their names don't get called on plays unless a broadcaster singles them out. Whereas Faneca was playing on a big market team that won a Super Bowl not too long ago, Bell was playing on a team that has been rebuilding for the last few years.

    You'd probably have to just watch a bunch of both players' games to figure out who was better, and if the Rams scouts who did so say they like Bell, it sounds good to me. One thing we do know is that with limited cap space, the Rams identified Bell as a player they wanted to push hard to get. That does say something about how they valued him.


  2. #62
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,072
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Rams agree on terms with bell.

    Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    I think his versatility is a good thing but let's not get too excited about a one year starter just yet.
    After what happened last year, I'm pretty excited to get a solid starter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slimdog View Post
    He allowed 1 sack this past season. Doesn't cause penalties and he never quits until the whistle is blown.
    Sounds good to me.

    Welcome to Clanram Slimdog. It should be interesting to have someone with a direct pipeline to the team.

  3. #63
    moklerman Guest

    Re: Rams agree on terms with bell.

    That does say something about how they valued him.
    Going after Faneca first, trumps any arguement about who the Rams thought was better. I can buy that Bell was the best guard left in free agency in 2007. Faneca's been to 7 straight pro-bowls and has at least 4-5 good years left. Bell managed to start all 16 games in 2007. Puh-lease.

  4. #64
    Slimdog Guest

    Re: Rams agree on terms with bell.

    I understand where you are coming from...No disrespect was taken. He actually weighed more as a rookie (305-310), but because of the Titans offense, they wanted him to lighten up. If the Rams need him to bulk up, I am sure he will and still be fast. At the combine, I believe my uncle said he ran a 4.95 40 at 305 lbs...His work ethic is great. He never stops hitting. We used to cheer our butts off watching the Titans games because he was ALWAYS downfield hitting somebody. The great thing about Jacob is that he doesn't get many penalties at all even though he plays HARD. I think I saw on another Rams forum where he has had only like 10 or 12 penalties total in his 4 year career...

  5. #65
    Slimdog Guest

    Re: Rams agree on terms with bell.

    Teams that I was told were interested: Steelers, Jets, Cardinals, Forty Niners, Browns, Miami and Dallas...

  6. #66
    General Ram Guest

    Re: Rams agree on terms with bell.

    That is good, considering our RT alex Barron is known for his False starts. Maybe Jacob Could teach Him a thing Or two.

  7. #67
    Slimdog Guest

    Re: Rams agree on terms with bell.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    It's not that ridiculous. I'll admit it would be more believable if we hadn't pursued Faneca first, but there are plenty of good linemen out there whose names I haven't heard because they don't get the stats that are so easy to compare. You don't play linemen in fantasy leagues. Their names don't get called on plays unless a broadcaster singles them out. Whereas Faneca was playing on a big market team that won a Super Bowl not too long ago, Bell was playing on a team that has been rebuilding for the last few years.

    You'd probably have to just watch a bunch of both players' games to figure out who was better, and if the Rams scouts who did so say they like Bell, it sounds good to me. One thing we do know is that with limited cap space, the Rams identified Bell as a player they wanted to push hard to get. That does say something about how they valued him.
    Go to EFSports.com...They use linemen, have a 53 man roster with a 100 million salary cap and 8 man practice squad. Got Jacob on my team!!! Been playing there since 94.

  8. #68
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,952
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: Rams agree on terms with bell.

    WELCOME ABOARD, JACOB BELL.

    Not to self gratify, but I had this called long ago. (Hey, if Av can do it...)

    This is a fantastic signing, and hopefully, though he's not quite Alan Faneca right now, he can develop alongside Pace into a special player on the left side.

    Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post

    Does this mean we are definitely going DE with our 1st pick in the draft?
    I don't think definately.

    I think there's one spot less for a guy like Jake Long to occupy, but, and bare with me here, It's concievable that Bell fills more than one hole with this signing, that being our number 3 tackle. He's had experience there, I believe starting most of a season on the right side, so in the event that Pace/Barron goes out with injury, and we don't select an OT in the first 2 rounds (which, IMO, would be a mistake) we have a player that can fill in, allowing Setterstom to temporarily take his place at OG whilst he fills in elsewhere.

    So we may even end up with an OL that looks something similar to this, pending injury to our tackles..

    Bell
    Setterstrom
    ???
    Cogs
    Barron

    Now, to the issue of Jake Long, and the OL question marks that remain. We still are unsure about the level of play of Incognito, and of Romberg, who at this stage doesn't look like he'll be brought back. That being the case, it is feasible that if we do take a guy like Jake Long, and he loses out for a starting tackle spot to Barron, he can switch to right guard for his rookie year, and Cogs can move to Center, having had previous experience there; center being the position he was listed as when we drafted him.

    So, concievably...we could have a line that looks like this.

    Pace
    Bell
    Cogs
    Long
    Barron.

    The issue looks to be at center, where we really don't have anyone other than Dustin Fry, and there's been no indication by team officials that he will be a starting candidate. In hindsight, the best time to take a C would have been in round 2 last year, where Ryan Kalil from SC was still available, and I remember Nick questioning the selection of Leonard at the time for that very reason.

    Therefore, at the very least, Bell will be our starting LG, with the potential to do much more if the Rams are put in a similar postion to last year with injury to the tackles and a general lack of depth. I don't think we're stupid enough to get caught out like that again, though.

    So my guess is not to count out Jake Long, as he purports to potentially start at guard or tackle, and this is especially important whilst we don't have an a proven center.

    At the moment, Chris Long is probably the #1 choice, as we don't have a pass rush at all, but Jake is a close second, as at the very least, he provides depth at a position where it was sorely needed and purports to become a future starter, and at best, starts and succeds immediately.

  9. #69
    moloch41 Guest

    Re: Rams agree on terms with bell.

    Quote Originally Posted by General Ram View Post
    That is good, considering our RT alex Barron is known for his False starts. Maybe Jacob Could teach Him a thing Or two.

    Well, hopefully he doesn't room with Incognito in training camp and start getting stupid 15 yd penalites all the time.

  10. #70
    General Ram Guest

    Re: Rams agree on terms with bell.

    Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Well, hopefully he doesn't room with Incognito in training camp and start getting stupid 15 yd penalites all the time.
    Nahh I made MYself Believe that Richie Incognito Is to Physical For the NFL.. So I think it is ok now

  11. #71
    Will51's Avatar
    Will51 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    167
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Rams agree on terms with bell.

    i am glad with the signing of bell because he is less money and he is younger than faneca but for those of you who are saying he compares to faneca or he is in the same class, you need to stop. first alan faneca is not on the down side of his career, he is only 31 and if im not mistaken will shields and a number of other offensive line man were dominant past this age and second faneca was a big part of the steelers power run game in previous years, a big enough part that took the steelers to the super bowl where parker had a career day, and third bell has nothin to show he is the real deal, he is a good line man, point blank. end of story. he is a great signing for a rams team that has been lacking youth at the line posistion and thats all that needs to be said

  12. #72
    Slimdog Guest

    Re: Rams agree on terms with bell.

    He's gonna look good in in Blue and Gold!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rams agree on terms with bell.-jacob-100kb.jpg  

  13. #73
    Slimdog Guest

    Re: Rams agree on terms with bell.

    Quote Originally Posted by Will51 View Post
    i am glad with the signing of bell because he is less money and he is younger than faneca but for those of you who are saying he compares to faneca or he is in the same class, you need to stop. first alan faneca is not on the down side of his career, he is only 31 and if im not mistaken will shields and a number of other offensive line man were dominant past this age and second faneca was a big part of the steelers power run game in previous years, a big enough part that took the steelers to the super bowl where parker had a career day, and third bell has nothin to show he is the real deal, he is a good line man, point blank. end of story. he is a great signing for a rams team that has been lacking youth at the line posistion and thats all that needs to be said
    Not to offend, but the Titans had one of the NFL's top rushing offenses and the most promising and underrated offensive lines...The RBs biggest gains came on the left side where Jacob was playing...

    Stats

    LeagueNFLAFCNFC Team Sortables - OffensePassingRushingReceivingScoringPuntingKickoffsReturnsField GoalsTotal OffenseTurnoversNFL Rushing Offense - Rushing Yards/GameTeamGAttAtt/GYdsAvgYds/GTDsFDs20+Minnesota1649430.926345.3164.62213121Jacksonville1652232.623914.6149.41812716Pittsburgh1651131.921684.2135.5910816New York (N)1646929.321484.6134.21511911Tennessee1654333.921093.9131.81711811Oakland1650831.820864.1130.41111113San Diego

  14. #74
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,044
    Rep Power
    171

    Re: Rams agree on terms with bell.

    I'm a bit confused by the couple of posts that seem to question his experience/durability. He's started 31 out of 32 regular season games in the last two years. That's pretty durable, if you ask me.

  15. #75
    Will51's Avatar
    Will51 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    167
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Rams agree on terms with bell.

    avenger and slim: i have no problem with this signing at all, im actually excited we signed him and not faneca due to the fact we saved a but load of $. my only arguement is to those who put bell in the same class as faneca, its not right, you have to give credit where credit is due. faneca is a top premier guard, bell is not

LinkBacks (?)

  1. -03-03-2008, 10:21 PM

Similar Threads

  1. Rams Playoff History
    By OldRamsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: -02-09-2009, 10:14 AM
  2. Jim Thomas Live-Feb. 5th
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -02-06-2008, 12:24 PM
  3. Jim Thomas Live, December 4
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -12-04-2007, 07:58 PM
  4. Jim Thomas Live, October 30
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-30-2007, 08:58 PM
  5. Thomas Live
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -09-19-2007, 01:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •