Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    rampower is offline Registered User

Re: Rams agree on terms with bell.

qoute majorram
    "
    Thank god some great news..... hes young, experience and he won't cost the earth!!!"

Amen brother. Need some good news. There isn't much else out there so I am glad he signed here.
    Last edited by rampower; -03-04-2008 at 08:15 AM. Reason: add quote

The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

rampower is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramstiles View Post
    I can't find details of the contract anyone got the lowdown please
    from stltoday.com

"Offensive line receives boost as Bell joins up
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    03/04/2008

The Rams took what they feel is a substantial step forward in upgrading their offensive line Monday evening, agreeing to terms on a six-year deal with Tennessee free-agent guard Jacob Bell.

Bell, who started three of his four seasons with Tennessee, visited Rams Park on Monday, spending time with quarterback Marc Bulger and wide receiver Drew Bennett ó a former Titans teammate. He will sign a $36 million contract this morning, which includes a $7 million signing bonus and $13 million in guaranteed money."
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

ramstiles is online now Registered User

Thanks Rampower

monel Guest

Great move...

OL could be one a good one...now draft an OT in second round after taking Lil Long in 1st...

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I won't argue that Bell is a better player than Faneca, but he's younger, cheaper and, most importantly, accepted our contract offer.

Ha- see if the Rams would have said that, I would have respected them more. I'm not bashing the signing here- hopefully this guy turns out to be a much better signing than Faneca is with the Jets, but at this point, Faneca is the better lineman. I was just taking a shot at the Rams for trying to save face by saying they had this guy ranked #1. From what I heard, the Rams made a comparitable offer along the lines of the one the Jets gave to Faneca- which is about 8 mil a year. You don't throw that type of money at a guy who you think is the second best lineman availble when the guy you have ranked #1 is still out there and comes much cheaper.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Offensive line receives boost as Bell joins up
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Tuesday, Mar. 04 2008

The Rams took what they feel is a substantial step forward in upgrading their
    offensive line Monday evening, agreeing to terms on a six-year deal with
    Tennessee free-agent guard Jacob Bell.

Bell, who started three of his four seasons with Tennessee, visited Rams Park
    on Monday, spending time with quarterback Marc Bulger and wide receiver Drew
    Bennett ó a former Titans teammate. He will sign his contract this morning.
    It's a six-year, $36 million deal, and includes a $7 million signing bonus and
    $13 million in guaranteed money.

Bell, who turned 27 on Sunday, will be the Rams' starting left guard next
    season, moving into the spot occupied by Mark Setterstrom at the start of 2007.
    Left guard has been a trouble spot for Rams the past few seasons because of
    injuries and other factors. Since the start of the 2004 season, 11 players have
    started at least one game at the position.

Last season alone, Setterstrom, Claude Terrell, Andy McCollum and Milford Brown
    all drew starting assignments at left guard.

Health permitting, Bell could be a fixture there for years. A fifth-round draft
    pick by the Titans in 2004 out of Miami (Ohio), Bell missed only two games in
    four seasons with Tennessee. He missed one game at the end of his rookie season
    with a torn knee ligament and was inactive for a 2006 contest with a toe injury.

Overall, he has played in 55 regular-season games for Tennessee, including 46
    starts. Forty-three of those starts were at left guard, and three at right
    tackle. In 2005, his only season when he wasn't a full-time starter, Bell also
    saw duty at left tackle.

"He's a 'four position' player," coach Scott Linehan said, meaning Bell's
    capable of playing both guard and both tackle positions. "But he's more suited
    to guard. He's athletic, and strong, with a great ability to get to the second
    level."

Linehan said Bell was the highest-rated offensive guard on the Rams'
    free-agency board. But the Rams went after Pittsburgh's Alan Faneca first
    because of the veteran leadership they thought he could bring to the club.
    Faneca signed with the New York Jets instead.

Bell isn't known as a power blocker, but his strength has improved since his
    rookie NFL season in 2004. Looking at tape from the 2007 season, Linehan liked
    the way Bell performed against Carolina's Kris Jenkins and Jacksonville's
    Marcus Stroud and John Henderson. (Jenkins and Stroud have since switched
    teams.)

Bell held his own and then some against those big, powerful defensive tackles.
    And in what undoubtedly ranks as good news for Bulger, he didn't allow any
    quarterback hits in those contests.

"As the line coaches like to say, he's never on the ground," Linehan said.

In other words, despite being a relatively lean 6-foot-4, 295 pounds, Bell does
    not get thrown around by 340-pound defensive tackles. Although Faneca is a
    better run blocker, Bell probably is a better pass blocker, particularly at
    this stage of Faneca's career. Bell's footwork and athletic ability enable him
    to recover when beaten by the opponent's first move.

Even with the addition of Bell, the Rams probably aren't done retooling the
    interior of their offensive line. Whether it be in free agency or via trade,
    the Rams are still looking for veteran help at center. Last season's starters
    there, Brett Romberg and McCollum, are unrestricted free agents, and McCollum
    is contemplating retirement. The only centers on the current roster are 2007
    draft pick Dustin Fry and Nick Leckey, who was added to the roster last October
    as a street free agent.

BROWN'S CONTRACT

Former Seattle kicker Josh Brown's five-year, $14.2 million contract with the
    Rams includes a $4 million signing bonus plus base salaries of $1 million in
    2008, $1.8 million in 2009, $2 million in 2010, $2.7 million in 2011, and $2.7
    million in 2012.

GREEN'S UP NEXT

Quarterback Trent Green, the Vianney High product who was with the Rams in 1999
    and 2000, is scheduled to pay a free-agent visit to St. Louis on Wednesday.
    Green arrived in New Orleans on Monday for a free-agent visit with the Saints.
    Another former Ram, Jamie Martin, has been the Saints' backup for the past two
    seasons but is an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

CHILLAR VISITS CARDS

Rams free-agent linebacker Brandon Chillar arrived in Phoenix on Monday night
    for a visit with the Arizona Cardinals. If Chillar doesn't sign with the Big
    Red, he's scheduled to leave Arizona today and arrive in Green Bay on Tuesday
    night.

RamOfDenmark Guest

Good signing. Faneca is obviously the better player right now, no question. But I'd rather have Bell when looking at the contract size and age.

I think this move means that O-line should no longer be a top priority in the draft. DE remains without a doubt my choice for round #1 - WR just moved up to 2nd on my list of priorities now. We cut Bruce and we signed a solid guard - we need to go for a WR in round #2 now - someone with speed.

My draft priorities are now:
    1: DE
    2: WR
    3: SS
    4: C/T
    5: FB

Now we just need to find out where to play Setterstrom and Incognito - one should end up at center and one at RG. Incognito is the better prospect as a guard IMO but he is also the only one of them with experience playing center so it could be a tough choice. Maybe we should play Incognito at RG, keep Setterstrom as a backup for both guard spots and try to snag a center in FA or draft (later rounds)?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

apparently the Titans were still bidding for Bell and were actually driving the Rams price up because of that. Considering this it doesnt look like a bad deal that we still got Bell for

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Good pick-up by the Rams and I'm glad the direction this team seem's to be going in- towards youth, about time. Instead of wasting money on washed up has-been's we sign a 27 year-old guard who injury permitting will start for a long time and start to build a little stability on a unit that has constantly been chopped and changed. I like it and also the Josh Brown signing which gives us stability in the kicking game, also throw in the fact that we have an excellent young punter in Donnie Jones it's pleasing to see that the kicking side of the team will be in good shape for years to come..

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I have one question....or maybe it could be an observation.....

Has anyone actually seen this guy play?

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I have one question....or maybe it could be an observation.....

Has anyone actually seen this guy play?

I don't think most people on this board even heard of him before the rumors started coming out about the Rams being interested in him, so I'm going to go with "probably not" on that one.

thoey is offline Registered User

Well, I watched the Titans play a couple games last year, but wasn't looking at any specific OLineman...
    This space for rent...

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I don't think most people on this board even heard of him before the rumors started coming out about the Rams being interested in him, so I'm going to go with "probably not" on that one.
    My friend is a Titans fan and we get together on Sundays occasionally to watch the Rams and Titans games respectivley. If their on at the same time we usually have two tv's in the room. Anyway I have seen about 6 Titans games from last year. I didnt sit there and watch Bell play so I wont say that. I also didnt hear him say man our guard Bell sucks he never blocks anybody. Does it really matter if any of us seen him play? I bet not many of us seen Faneca play but a lot of people wanted him too. Bell was in the second tier of guards with Scott of Indy so he is respected by his peers. This is a very good signing and the guy is only 27. I wouldnt mind seeing us grab one more o-lineman in free agency, maybe a center or grab Maurice Williams who can also play guard and tackle and move Cogs to center. Very good signing, finally some trench help.
    Just Fix It

Rambos is offline Registered User

Marc Bulger and wide receiver Drew
    Bennett
    Side note I hope these two guy are working on their timming.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Does it really matter if any of us seen him play?
    Well, considering how everyone is raving about what a fantasic signing this was for the Rams, one would assume they've watched him play and now what he can do... BTW, I have seen Faneca play many times, but I have to be honest, I've never heard of this dude until he made the Rams rumor radar.

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-03-2008, 10:21 PM