Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
    moklerman is offline Registered User

Re: Rams agree on terms with bell.

You can't get a starting caliber guard in the NFL that hasn't had a serious injury for less than $6 million these days?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

It depends on how you define starting caliber, but with the way free agency has gone in the last few years, I think the chances are pretty slim.

Again, look at a guy like Justin Smiley. Started the last two full seasons for the ***** then saw his '07 season cut short when he tore his labrum (required surgery) and still landed a $25 million deal with a larger signing bonus than we gave Bell.

Slimdog is offline Registered User

Yeah, finding a player without injury histories, especially on the the OL and DL, are tough nowadays. Jacob has bounced back really well from his knee injury. I remember actually watching him going down on the field his rookie season on national tv and Jeff Fischer coming out on the field with the doctors. Our house was silent and I remember the broadcaster saying, when the coach comes out to the field, you know it's serious...and then they went to commercial. That was the most excruciating 2 minutes!!! I spoke to him a couple of times the following season, just seeing how his rehab was going. He was positive the whole time. My uncle and aunt decided then to move to Nashville with him to help him throughout. We are happy he has recovered well from this. A knee injury can change careers. I just noticed he is gonna wear the number 63 with the Rams. That is the year my mom and dad (his uncle & aunt) got married. My dad passed away last June because of complications with diabetes. I'm not sure if he knows this, but I will sure tell him after finding this out...

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Left side looks solid with Pace and Bell. I guess you could say we've got Marks back now.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Yes, I'm sure that Pace and Bulger are going to play all 16 games this year. Wouldn't it be nice if we could see a little production from the two guys sucking up the cap. Now, to me, a tolerable "business decision" would have been to force Pace to restructure or cut him. I wouldn't like it, but at least I could see not paying a guy top money for not being on the field.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    You can't get a starting caliber guard in the NFL that hasn't had a serious injury for less than $6 million these days?
    I'd say that right now it is pretty unlikely that you could get a "starting caliber" player in FA at any position for less than $6 million.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    Now, to me, a tolerable "business decision" would have been to force Pace to restructure or cut him.
    While I do agree I would have liked to see Pace restructure to provide some cap relief, I believe it would cost more against the cap to cut Pace than to keep him, so threatening to release him wouldn't be a very smart financial move.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-03-2008, 10:21 PM