Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Rams Agree to Terms with Jared Cook!!!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams Agree to Terms with Jared Cook!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The first three minutes of this Greg Cosell/Adam Caplan video is about Cook...

Film Room: Dynamic Tight Ends
    Only 18 snaps as an in-line blocker.

Safe to say, he is not Kendricks' replacement, but rather Amendola's.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

You need to provide the source when you post information. Putting it in quotes means nothing if we don't know who of where it's coming from.
    Well, in quotations it does say "Per Jim Wyatt"..

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    It took him 3 years to rise above the certain-1st-ballot HOFer Bo Sciafe on the depth chart.

Which begs the question........why didn't he do these things in Nashville?

Well, HUb, you have to understand they had a lousy scheme/QB/system, etc.

Well then what happened to "playmakers just make plays. period."?
    I wish I could tell you. Apparently he hasn't been much of a playmaker so far, but mind you, in 2011 he had 759 yards which was good for 14th in the league. How could he possibly drop 400 yards in productivity the next season if some of it wasn't due to playing as often (the scheme). I forget the exact numbers, but Jared Cook lost A LOT of snaps to the Titans back up TE who was an in-line blocker.

If we make it an effort to work our offense around Cook, I think he can get to get 700-900 yard mark, and more importantly 5+ TD's, considering he is still one of our only red zone threats.

THE DREAM TEAM

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

It's not often I get to say this, but......I agree with Ferter.

This is a lot of hub-bub (and cap money) for a guy who hasn't done much in this league. At least not enough to be getting Gronk/Davis type dollars. It took him 3 years to rise above the certain-1st-ballot HOFer Bo Sciafe on the depth chart. And I hope that torn rotator cuff is ready to go.

Don't get me wrong....In Fishead We Trust. They certainly knocked the 2012 offseason out of the park, so who I am to doubt this one.

But I'd be lying if I didn't say, this one concerns me a little.
    And I agree with both of you. Cook might indeed become a good player, but there are too many question marks for me to jump for joy over this, especially when it apparently comes at the expense of Amendola. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how this is a significant upgrade especially with the money we're laying out for him, and especially since Kendricks improved quite a bit last year.
    Curly Horns likes this.

" Jared Cook's deal with the #Rams: 5 yrs, $35.1 million, and $19 million guaranteed. That's 54% guaranteed and avg per year is $7.02 million "

- Jim Wyatt (included the guarantees)

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Well, in quotations it does say "Per Jim Wyatt".
    Unless Wyatt refers to himself in the third person, then he wasn't the person you go that quote from. THAT is the person that needs to be cited as the source, and I suspect you knew that's what I was referring to. Unsourced information will be deleted; we are not in the rumor spreading business.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-13-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Randart is offline Registered User

I think this is a fantastico signing! I see this guy as a huge upgrade on DA... Just look how many games this guy has been on the field that DA was out with injury... That alone is an upgrade, I love we don't have to draft a TE in this upcoming draft now and can concentrate on other positions! This is a win, win, win! Too many levels to not be extatic about this awesome signing! God Bless the day we got Fish and Les in here best combo front office & coach I have seen for our team in a long time! Being a Rams fan from birth (1951) I know what I speak of... Welcome to the Rams JC, embrace the Horns!
    Last edited by Randart; -03-13-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Unless Wyatt refers to himself in the third person, then he wasn't the person you go that quote from. THAT is the person that needs to be cited as the source, and I suspect you knew that's what I was referring to. Unsourced information will be deleted; we are not in the rumor spreading business.
    What if he did refer to himself in quotations for publicity ? All kidding aside, 99% of the time I leave a source, but I'm pretty sure in this case it was just another random twitter person, which probably wouldn't have done much to ease all you maniacs at mind .

THE DREAM TEAM

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

I'll be honest I don't know much about Jared Cook but I like how happy everyone is in here. I'm gonna watch some tape right now.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    And I agree with both of you. Cook might indeed become a good player, but there are too many question marks for me to jump for joy over this, especially when it apparently comes at the expense of Amendola. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how this is a significant upgrade especially with the money we're laying out for him, and especially since Kendricks improved quite a bit last year.
    Here is why he is IMO. If you can believe the Rams will use him more as a receiver and in the slot like he was used last year he is an upgrade.

So lets take a look at both these guys production over their four year careers.

Danny Amendola over four years has produced 1,726 yards and 7 TDs.

Jared Cook over four years has produced 1,717 yards and 8 TDs.

OK on paper if you think Amenodla is already a good player then I would think you would also think Cook is a good player. I think that's a fair statement.

Here is where Cook is better.

Danny Amendola has a career average of 8.8 yards per catch.

Jared Cook has a career average of 13.1 yards per catch.

Danny had a total of 293 targets or passes thrown his way to produce his numbers. While Jared Cook has had 214 targets, that's 79 more plays that Amendola needed to produce basically the same as Cook. Too me thats a lot of plays wasted.

last year Amendola had 101 passes come his way to produce 666 yards and 3 TD.
    Cook had Cook 72 passes come his way for 523 and 4 TD. If you take Cooks average yards per target and if he had 101 passes come his way...he would have had 808 yards and maybe another TD.

Cook started his career very slow, like Quick he had to adjust to the NFL, he was not productive in his first year he only had 9 catches for 74 yards. His second year he got a little better 29 catches for 326 yards and 1 TD.

He had a nice third year 49 catches for 759 yards 3 TDs. Again better numbers then Amendola has ever put up. Last year he was getting more involved playing the slot his number dropped because he missed three games.

Cook is already a good player we did not get a guy hoping he will become a good player. IMO we took a good player and it's now on the Rams to make him a great player. They need to use him IMO.

More on Cook .

By Alex Welch

Jared Cook wasn't exactly a featured component of the Titans offense in 2012. Now hitting the free agent market for the first time in his career, where will he land?

The 2012 season didn't turn out like Jared Cook was hoping for, as the Titans starting tight end struggled with playing time and his overall involvement when he was in the game plan. With his rookie contract finally expiring, Cook is expecting a substantial payday, one the Titans may not be willing to hand over.

Cook was drafted by the Titans back in 2009, and despite the continued promise of a "breakout" season each year, he has yet to really live up to his expectations. He is currently sitting on 131 receptions, 1,717 yards and eight touchdowns for his four-year tenure.

After suffering a torn rotator cuff in December, Cook was placed on injured reserve, ending his season three games short. Health won't be much of a hindrance in his consideration from other teams. He played all 16 games the prior two years. It's his production at this point.

The Titans chose not to franchise-tag Cook after a continue debate over what position he would be considered as. Cook, of course, wanted a wide receiver designation. Tags for tight ends only cost $6.7 million for 2013, but wideouts bring in nearly $4.5 million more.

Tennessee was unwilling to pursue such a debate, ultimately deciding against tagging Cook. Reports indicate the Titans wish to keep him on the roster going forward, but contract disputes, along with a history of underplaying the 25-year-old tight end, will work against those negotiations.

Cook only played 485 snaps in 2012. Take into consideration the three games he missed, and that's still not where he would like to be at this point in his career. Unhappy with his role, Cook was even looking to get out of town in October of this past season via trade.

Look around for current reports on Cook. You'll find he's already drawing plenty of interest from other teams around the league. Cook won't be out of work long once free agency begins. The question is, are the Titans willing to let him walk?

Dustin Keller, Martellus Bennett and Fred Davis encompass a free-agent class that looks relatively deep at tight end. Cook's age makes him an enticing prospect. He has the tools to make an impact if given a chance. He isn't exactly miles ahead of the rest of this group, though.

Owen Daniels signed a four-year deal for a little over $21 million in 2011. Somewhere between the $4-5 million range would make Cook one of the highest-paid tight ends in the league in terms of base salary. He's worth closer to $4 million simply due to his production. He's never caught more than 49 passes in a single season.

We know the Titans want Cook around for the future, but he looks closer to finding a new suitor come March 12.

Last edited by Rambos; -03-13-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Here is why he is IMO. If you can believe the Rams will use him more as a receiver and in the slot like he was used last year he is an upgrade.

So lets take a look at boith these guys production over their four year careers.

Danny Amendola over four years has produced 1,726 yards and 7 TDs.

Jared Cook over four years has produced 1,717 yards and 8 TDs.

OK on paper if you think Amenodla is already a good player then I would think you would also think Cook is a good player. I think that's a fair statement.

Here is where Cook is better.

Danny Amendola has a career average of 8.8 yards per catch.

Jared Cook has a career average of 13.1 yards per catch.

Danny had a total of 293 targets or pass thrown his way to produce his numbers. While Jared Cook has had 214 targets, that's 79 plays that Amendola needed to produce basically the same as Cook. Too me thats a lot of plays wasted.

last year Amendola had 101 passes come his way to produce 666 yards and 3 TD.
    Cook had Cook 72 passes come his way for 523 and 4 TD. If you take Cooks average yards per target and if he had 101 passes come his way...he would have had 808 yards and maybe another TD.

Cook started his career very slow, like Quick he had to adjust to the NFL, he was not productive in his first year he only had 9 catches for 74 yards. His second year he got a little better 29 catches for 326 yards and 1 TD.

He had a nice third year 49 catches for 759 yards 3 TDs. Again better numbers then Amendola has ever put up. Last year he was getting more involved playing the slot his number dropped because he missed three games.

Cook is already a good player we did not get a guy hoping he will become a good player. IMO we took a good player and it's now on the Rams to make him a great player. They need to use him IMO.

More on Cook and why he was or was not used with the Titans.
    Solid post. Not to mention Danny has a lot of trouble staying healthy, whereas Jared Cook has been almost flawless in that department (though anyone can get injured at any time).

Who are you taking? Danny Amendola who is 5'10, 185 lbs, and ran a 4.58 forty (ran at a pro day, always easier to run) or a 6'5, 245 lbs, 4.49 forty Jared Cook? I love Amendola as much as the next guy, and when he plays he's dynamite, but I'd rather have Jared Cook going across the middle of that field than Amendola.
    live4ramin and Randart like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

" For those capologists in Rams Nation, Jared Cook's counts $4 million against the salary cap in 2013. "

- Jim Thomas

THE DREAM TEAM

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Rams Agree to Terms with Jared Cook!!!!

Just my two cents....

Typical of the FA market, Cook was overpriced and is a boom or bust player. He has all of 12 starts in the NFL, and has been a situational player at best to this point. As to the comparison of Cook to Amendola, that's apples to oranges. Cook is not, nor has he been a slot receiver like Amendola. He cannot do the things that Amendola can. He simply doesn't have the direction changing skills and quick burst that Amendola possesses. Cook has better top end speed, but that's really it. He is NOT a replacement for Danny IMHO.

As far as injuries, Cook has had his share of nicks and dings as well. The word out of his past fan base is he's not the brightest bulb in the room and has difficult in picking up an offense. That's just coming from the fan base, however. What do we know?

In the end, this pickup doesn't thrill me, but he does provide the big play capability the Rams are lacking because of his size, speed and position. He will present matchup problems for the defense, but not much else. He is a high-priced situational player.

But if I'm going to compare what Amendola brings to the table against what Cook brings, I still prefer a guy that can consistently move the chains, rather than one that may occasionally break a long one, and I think that's Danny. I guess what I'm saying is; if I could have both Danny and Cook, I'd be more thrilled, but if I have to lose Danny to get Cook. Meh...

We shall see.
    Last edited by RAMFANRAIDERHATER; -03-13-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

macrammer is offline Registered User

I appreciate the attititude and playing stye of Amendola. If it was up to me, he would be a Ram for his entire career. BUT, not up to me

I do not know much about this guy......but it is obvious that Fish is getting his guys and I trust his strategy.

I wish Danny the best.......I will enjoy watching him play for whomever he signs with. I would not be surprised to see him excel in the right scheme.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Not to mention Danny has a lot of trouble staying healthy, whereas Jared Cook has been almost flawless in that department (though anyone can get injured at any time).
    This red herring just won't die.

There's a lot of good arguments in the Cook vs. Amendola debate. And right now, the only one that matters is that Cook is a Ram and Amendola isn't.

But health is not one. One of these guys ended the year 100% healthy. The other ended it on the IR with a torn rotator cuff.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

ThePHINS.com @DolphinsNews Reports now #Dolphins had TE Jared Cook ready to sign, thought deal was done. Rams, Jeff Fisher swooped in and trumped offer.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast