Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Rams Agree to Terms with Jared Cook!!!!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Agree to Terms with Jared Cook!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    This red herring just won't die.

There's a lot of good arguments in the Cook vs. Amendola debate. And right now, the only one that matters is that Cook is a Ram and Amendola isn't.

But health is not one. One of these guys ended the year 100% healthy. The other ended it on the IR with a torn rotator cuff.
    And one has missed 3 games in 4 years and the other has missed 20 games in 4 years. Face it, with the size of Cook, he has a much better chance of staying healthy than Amendola (especially because they are both going to be working the slot). Danny's way of playing made him open to injury. Anytime the ball went near him he'd take the big hit going across the middle, he'd expose his body to make that catch, he'd dive 5 yards to get to the ball. I applaud him for it. He's an excellent player and I wished he was still here. The difference is Cook is 6'5 and probably has that same wingspan making him a MUCH larger target. Inaccurate passes probably wont require Cook to dive. Also, he's huge, so I doubt he'll get bullied going across the field, considering he's bigger than almost every LB in the league.
    live4ramin, THOLTFAN81 and Randart like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    ThePHINS.com @DolphinsNews Reports now #Dolphins had TE Jared Cook ready to sign, thought deal was done. Rams, Jeff Fisher swooped in and trumped offer.
    We stole their coach (Fisher) and now their player (Cook). Let's hope Adrian Peterson visits Miami later today. lol.
    Rambos, THOLTFAN81 and Haste like this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

just looking at their 40 times...
    wow, didn't know danny ran that slow

dang, cook is bigger AND faster than amendola? Not quicker...but still, cook is gonna be awesome!
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    We stole their coach (Fisher) and now their player (Cook). Let's hope Adrian Peterson visits Miami later today. lol.
    Let's see if we can steal Jake Long from them too!

THE DREAM TEAM

Randart is offline Registered User

And all this time I viewed Miami like it was Moss Eisley Landing... and we know what Obi Juan thought of that! Who knew it could be not a sinkhole but a bountiful towne of plenty for our beloved Rams. lol
    DE_Ramfan and Vinnie25 like this.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Just my two cents....

Typical of the FA market, Cook was overpriced and is a boom or bust player. He has all of 12 starts in the NFL, and has been a situational player at best to this point. As to the comparison of Cook to Amendola, that's apples to oranges. Cook is not, nor has he been a slot receiver like Amendola. He cannot do the things that Amendola can. He simply doesn't have the direction changing skills and quick burst that Amendola possesses. Cook has better top end speed, but that's really it. He is NOT a replacement for Danny IMHO.

As far as injuries, Cook has had his share of nicks and dings as well. The word out of his past fan base is he's not the brightest bulb in the room and has difficult in picking up an offense. That's just coming from the fan base, however. What do we know?

In the end, this pickup doesn't thrill me, but he does provide the big play capability the Rams are lacking because of his size, speed and position. He will present matchup problems for the defense, but not much else. He is a high-priced situational player.

But if I'm going to compare what Amendola brings to the table against what Cook brings, I still prefer a guy that can consistently move the chains, rather than one that may occasionally break a long one, and I think that's Danny. I guess what I'm saying is; if I could have both Danny and Cook, I'd be more thrilled, but if I have to lose Danny to get Cook. Meh...

We shall see.
    I pretty much agree with you there, Amendola can cut whereas Cook just has straight away speed and height working for him. Ok, so he won't have to jump like Danny, but he may have a hard time diving for balls thrown low. Either way, as you imply if they do use him as a slot receiver he'll be running different routes.

I don't know about him really being a situational though, as I think in order for him to truly be a matchup difficulty, he will have to block well.

Just considering the money involved I would have to think they expect to play a lot, and in that regard I'm cautiously optimistic because ... in Jeff Fisher I trust.

Take it for what you guys want, but PFF had Jared Cook graded better as a blocker than our very own Lance Kendricks, who we know excels as a blocker.

THE DREAM TEAM

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

And one has missed 3 games in 4 years and the other has missed 20 games in 4 years.
    Which is, of course, completely meaningless. One is completely healthy with no accumulating injuries, the other is coming off a torn rotator cuff that ended his season. I feel like we've already been over this.

And how is it that even with all those injuries, Amendola has out-produced Cook?

As I've already said, there's plenty of arguments that could be made for Cook over Amendola. But this injury silliness isn't one of them.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RealRam is offline Registered User

Safe to say, he is not Kendricks' replacement, but rather Amendola's.
    ...There's a lot of good arguments in the Cook vs. Amendola debate. And right now, the only one that matters is that Cook is a Ram and Amendola isn't.
    Well, I'm not up to date with the Amendola scenario but it is sure interesting how Cook is / will be a determining factor in Danny's very short-term future with the Rams. So now I'm wondering if the JC signing was anticipated by Fisher and the F.O. as to what to decide regarding D.A.

By the same token then, a) does the addition of Cook increase the chances of the Rams departing with Amendola or, b) could we expect (although probably less likely) Cook AND Amendola together?

Amendola and Cook. Cook and Amendola. Sounds great to me!
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-13-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Tyop

jmk321 is offline Registered User

After watching his tape for a while it just seems like he shouldn't be playing tight end and should be playing on the outside like Marques Colston or Vincent Jackson. He doesn't have the quickness in short spaces to create separation but I think he could be a dangerous threat at WR. This offense could be great if Cook and Quick live up to their potential and Tavon Austin is drafted.

shower beers is offline Registered User

You guys,

I signed him a while back in my Madden Franchise and he's been doing great. A little inconsistent at times, but he's great in the redzone.

Let's all relax here.
    HUbison, Rambos, Nick and 5 others like this.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=THOLTFAN81;456717]Wow. Shaping up to be a real nice FA class: Long, Cook, Delmas.[/QUOTE

Here's my real problem with the Long and Cook signing if Long in fact signs. Long is not the only good lineman out there but is one of the more expensive ones out there. And, Cook is not a blocking TE, unless they plan on converting him to a slot-receiver. So, we have someone to protect Bradford (Long) and someone who couldn't protect Fort Knox (Cook) if his stats and rep are to be believed but have let two of the best WRs in the NFL (Boldin & Harvin) go by the boards and to divisional rivals and co-favorites to win the SB. Brilliant! I have at times been critical of SB, but his protection isn't getting much better if any better, and he has no WRs to throw to. If I were him I'd be dreaming about my FA, that is if he can still walk.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    By the same token then, a) does the addition of Cook increase the chances of the Rams departing with Amendola or, b) could we expect (although probably less likely) Cook AND Amendola together?

Amendola and Cook. Cook and Amendola. Sounds great to me!
    Sounds like a cheesy 70's cop show to me lol

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=TorontoRam;456982]
    Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Wow. Shaping up to be a real nice FA class: Long, Cook, Delmas.[/QUOTE

Here's my real problem with the Long and Cook signing if Long in fact signs. Long is not the only good lineman out there but is one of the more expensive ones out there. And, Cook is not a blocking TE, unless they plan on converting him to a slot-receiver. So, we have someone to protect Bradford (Long) and someone who couldn't protect Fort Knox (Cook) if his stats and rep are to be believed but have let two of the best WRs in the NFL (Boldin & Harvin) go by the boards and to divisional rivals and co-favorites to win the SB. Brilliant! I have at times been critical of SB, but his protection isn't getting much better if any better, and he has no WRs to throw to. If I were him I'd be dreaming about my FA, that is if he can still walk.
    What are you talking about?

1. Cook is not our blocking TE, Kendricks is.
    2. We didn't "let two of the best WRs in the NFL go by the boards to divsiion rivals." I wouldn't have even considered Harvin at the price a of three draft choices (1st and 6th this year, 3rd in 2014) and an $11M contract. As for Boldin... I wouldn't pay $6M for a WR who is 33.

You have actually become a parody of yourself, which is saying a lot.
    THOLTFAN81 and jmk321 like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams, Cook Make it Official
    Posted by nickwagoner on March 13, 2013 – 10:48 PM

- The Rams and TE Jared Cook made their agreement official on Wednesday evening as Cook put pen to paper on a lucrative five-year contract that will pay him more than $35 million and as much as $38 million if bonuses are reached.

The Rams will introduce Cook at a press conference on Thursday at 11 a.m.

- Here’s the official release from the team:

ST. LOUIS, MO. – The St. Louis Rams have signed free agent TE Jared Cook, the team announced Wednesday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“I’m very excited to have the opportunity to coach Jared again,” Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher said. “His unique skill set will be an extremely valuable asset to our offense, and that’s why we made Jared a priority when free agency opened. We’re thrilled to have him.”

Cook, who brings a unique combination of speed and pass-catching ability, joins the Rams after playing four seasons with the Tennessee Titans. The Suwanee, Ga. native hauled in 131 catches and amassed 1,717 receiving yards and eight touchdowns since joining the league.

Cook made significant strides forward during his sophomore season, most notably in the second half of the year, as he tied for 10th among NFL tight ends with 25 catches in the final eight games. He continued to progress in 2011, setting career highs in every receiving category, with 759 yards and three touchdowns on 49 receptions. That year, he ranked third on the team in receptions and second in receiving yards. His yardage total also ranked second in franchise history by a tight end, trailing only Frank Wycheck (768 yards in 1998).

After originally entering his collegiate career at South Carolina as a wide receiver, Cook recorded 73 catches for 1,107 yards (15.2 avg.) and seven touchdowns in three years of play. Cook was recognized with first-team All-SEC honors in his final year with the Gamecocks.

Widely considered a top tight end prospect coming out of college, the Titans traded a 2010 second-round draft pick in order to acquire him in the third round of the 2009 NFL Draft. Cook was selected 89th overall.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast