r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams Agree To Terms With Seventh-round Pick Ogbonnaya

Rams Sign Seventh-Round Running Back

By Brian McIntyre
    Scout.com
    Posted Jul 18, 2009

According to a league source, the St. Louis Rams have agreed to terms with seventh-round running back Chris Ogbonnaya (Texas) to a four-year deal.

The contract includes a signing bonus of around $66,000 and an escalator that increases his 2012 base salary to $1.308 million dollars, or the low RFA tender.

A converted wide receiver, Ogbonnaya only started 7 games for the Longhorns, who valued his versatility as a blocker and a sure-handed receiver out of the backfield. During his four-year, 47-game career with the Longhorns, Ogbonnaya carried the ball just 140 times for 597 yards and 8 touchdowns, but added 75 receptions, 792 yards and 3 touchdowns to his totals.

Ogbonnaya was also a four-time Academic All-Big 12 selection and was a semifinalist for the Draddy Trophy, the "academic Heisman", in 2008.

Ogbonnaya is the second of the Rams' seven draft choices to agree to a contract, joining third-round cornerback Bradley Fletcher, who signed a week ago.

bigredman Guest

Re: Rams Agree To Terms With Seventh-round Pick Ogbonnaya

Thank goodness. I was really worried that deal wasn't going to get done!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Well it did get done big guy, and here's a refresher since you were so worried ..

Rams 7th Round Pick Talks to Media

By Rams Insider

Posted Apr 27, 2009

Rams 7th round pick Chris Ogbonnaya talked Sunday about the long wait to be drafted, his contact with the Rams before being drafted, on his familiarity with Steven Jackson, on picking up blitzes, and how tough it was to show his running back abilities in the Texas offense.

RB Chris Ogbonnaya
    April 26, 2009

(On if it was a long wait)
    “Absolutely, but to have the opportunity to get your name called is a blessing and I am happy to be a part of the Rams organization and want to do everything I can to make the team and help the team out in any sort of capacity.”

(On contact with the Rams prior to today)
    “My first experience with them was the Texas vs. the Nation game that I played in. I talked to Coach (Sylvester) Croom at the combine. I had an interview with him one-on-one. Prior to that, I know that my offensive coordinator spoke to them while I was in Austin last weekend, so until today that is as much as I had heard from them.”

(On his familiarity with RB Steven Jackson)
    “When they were interviewing me, they were asking…who is my style comparable to? He was one of the people that I mentioned. I think that he is a great back, obviously, and has been a great player since he was at Oregon State. It will be interesting to see how things work and learn under him.”

(On being a wide receiver previously)
    I came in as a wide receiver at Texas and was moved to running back, to fullback and back to running back. So I had my fair share of football experience on the offensive side of the ball.”

(On if running back is his favorite of the three positions)
    “Absolutely. It’s a combination of all three of the positions. You have to catch the ball, you have to learn how to block and you have to run obviously. So I just applied those things that I learned at those positions to apply at running back.”

(On how tough it is to show his running back abilities in the Texas offense)
    “It was tough just because we became more of a pass-first offense this year and spread it out a little bit more, but when I did get an opportunity, I made the most of it. It was an exciting year, we did really well with it, so really couldn’t complain. I was happy to be a part of it at Texas.”

(On picking up blitzes)
    “Absolutely. Something that I take a lot of pride in, protecting the quarterback and being able to catch the ball out of the backfield, so that is something that I would say I am stronger at.”

Ramer Guest

Two down and many more to sign. Does any one know where we are at with the other draft picks?

dgr828 is offline Registered User

I think Chris will surprise alot of people. Ogbonnaya may one the day have the torch passed to him, joining the long great list of Rams running backs.
    Congratulations, Chris! Now you're a Ram.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

It's good to have him signed, now let's see how good he really is.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

What happens if a team doesnt sign a player they drafted? is it a wasted draft pick?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Unorthodox, the team who drafted the guy holds exclusive rights to him for one year following the draft. If no contract is reached before the next draft, then is is eligible to be drafted again by ANY team in the following years draft. That said, it's foolish to do so because of the reputation hit to the player, and money is likely to be much less than if the player ends the holdout at some point during the season.

I believe this is what happened with Bo Jackson, where he went and played baseball for a year before being drafted again by the Raiders.