Torry Holt is offline Registered User

Rams agreed to terms with Saffold

From Rotoworld

Rams agreed to terms with rookie RT Rodger Saffold, the No. 33 overall pick, on a four-year contract.
    Saffold, a four-year starter at Indiana, boasts left tackle length and athleticism, and could probably start there adequately if injury-prone LT Jason Smith goes down. This year, however, Saffold is expected to focus on right tackle. He's been medically cleared from a right knee sprain suffered in spring practices and is earmarked for the Week 1 starting lineup.
    Hope Sam will be the next !

Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams agreed to terms with Saffold

Good. Glad to see Saffold on his way. Thanks for the news. [Don't like the "injury-prone" indication on Smith though.]

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    [Don't like the "injury-prone" indication on Smith though.]
    Don't like it too, they talk about Saffold as a potential LT but everybody knows we dratf him to be RT. Journalists are not so interested about Rams...
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I find it very interesting that we're seeing so many 4 year contracts this year, and I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that we're at the end of the CBA and who knows when and if there will be restricted free agency going forward.
    I believe!

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Great news! I'm looking forward to seeing the kid play.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Yup this is awesome. I was just going to report this ahah, until I seen I got beat to it!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Updated: Saffold signs 4-year deal with Rams
    BY JIM THOMAS
    Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:40 am

The St. Louis Rams signed second-round draft pick Rodger Saffold, the offensive tackle from Indiana University on Wednesday.

"I wanted to be able to come into camp on time _ for my team, also for myself," Saffold said, shortly after signing a four-year contract. "I wanted to be able to fully experience the rookie season and I can't do that if I'm missing practice."

Saffold's agents arrived in St. Louis on Tuesday night, and instead of waiting for a scheduled Wednesday meeting, met with Rams executive vice president for football operations Kevin Demoff that evening.

Unable to resolve a couple of issues Tuesday, the parties met again Wednesday morning and were able to hammer out an agreement.

"Everything worked out exceptionally well," said agent Alan Herman, who represents Saffold along with Jared Fox. "It's very important for a guy who's projected to start to be there the first day (of camp)."

Saffold said he was a little anxious about getting his deal done as camp approached.

"I'm just really excited to finally have it done and be a Ram completely," Saffold said.

With Saffold in the fold, the only remaining unsigned draft pick is quarterback Sam Bradford, the No. 1 overall selection from Oklahoma. Talks between the Rams and Bradford's agents continue.

Saffold, the first player taken in the second round, is expected to be the team's starting right tackle this season. He started 41 games during his career with the Hoosiers, registering 171 knockdown blocks and 20 touchdown-resulting blocks.

As a senior, he allowed only three sacks on 440 pass plays, but was only a second-team all-Big 10 selection. But Saffold caught the eyes of pro scouts this past offseason with strong workouts and performances during the pre-draft process.

Saffold missed the last portion of the Rams' spring offseason practice program with a knee injury, but is expected to be full-go for the start of training camp. Rookies and selected veterans hold their first practices of camp Thursday at Rams Park.

"My knee is great," Saffold said. "I'm 100 percent, just ready to go."
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I thought I would hit you guys with a little update .

"The Rams announced Wednesday that they have signed offensive lineman Rodger Saffold, the first pick in the second round of the 2010 NFL Draft. Saffold received a four-year, $6.3 million contract with $3.9 million guaranteed and another $250,000 in hard-to-reach incentives (Pro Bowl/Rookie of the Year), a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora."

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I find it very interesting that we're seeing so many 4 year contracts this year, and I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that we're at the end of the CBA and who knows when and if there will be restricted free agency going forward.
    Every Rams second round pick after Travis Fisher has signed a four-year contract. I don't think it's anything new this year.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!