HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams All-Time (since off. stat) Rookie Sack Leaders

1. Kevin Carter (1995) - 6
    2. Sean Gilbert (1992) - 5
    3. Chris Long (2008) - 4
    4. Fred Strickland (1988) - 4
    5. Mike Piel (1989) - 4

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rams All-Time (since off. stat) Rookie Sack Leaders

I think some fans and sportswriters have been mislead by a few quick starters like Jevon Kearse, Sean Merriman and DeMarcus Ware. Most pass rushers take at least a year or two to come into their own.

What I see from Chris Long is good athletic ability, unquestioned effort, and pretty good moves for a guy just out of college.

He's going to be a guy who will get you 12-14 sacks/year eventually. To expect that he would do that as a rookie is ambitious, to say the least, if not downright unrealistic.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think some fans and sportswriters have been mislead by a few quick starters like Jevon Kearse, Sean Merriman and DeMarcus Ware. Most pass rushers take at least a year or two to come into their own.

What I see from Chris Long is good athletic ability, unquestioned effort, and pretty good moves for a guy just out of college.

He's going to be a guy who will get you 12-14 sacks/year eventually. To expect that he would do that as a rookie is ambitious, to say the least, if not downright unrealistic.
    I think Haslett said it best when describing Long's last game. He mentioned that he had 2 sacks, but he played even better the week before in terms of pressuring the QB. Racking up a ton of sacks doesn't always tell the whole story ....

Long has been very productive overall, moreso that I thought. I figured he'd get 3 or 4 sacks this year. He's already done that, and he is pressuring the QB often. He definitely has a nonstop motor. Just wait until his technique improves ...

ManofGod is offline Registered User

I agree I predicted that he'd have 4-6 for the entire year, but never questioned the pick because he has something you can't coach/teach which is heart & a desire to improve. When you match that with talent and pedigree...you have potentially (baring injury) a hall of famer.

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

I like how Long is involved seemingly every game. After failing for so long in drafting D-Linemen it is good to see a productive pick. There really is not enough to be said about Chris Long, excellent player to be.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

one thing that should be added is the fact that although he has swapped sides in some games..he is more often than not lining up against the LT a.k.a.the opposing teams best pass blocker!

another impressive fact is a lot of rookie DE`s would only use their feet to try to beat the OT on the outside...Chris has been getting some of his sacks by goin` inside of the OT between the LT and the LG!

oh..and now he`s only 85 sacks behind his dad!

khl08 is offline Registered User

The thing that Long brings to the table is his leadership, aside from the fact that he is developing into a great player, he is a leader on and off the field. This leadership is what great teams always have, and the team seems to benefit from some of these younger guys who step up and show a desire to improve every day. Just my two cents.