Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Rams Any Closer to Catching Seahawks?

  1. #16
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,040
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Rams Any Closer to Catching Seahawks?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. According to NFLPenalties.com, the two teams with the most penalties in 2013 were the two conference champions. Seattle and Denver were also two of only six teams in the league with a starting QB that boasted a YPA greater than 8.
    True but the Hawks had the best defense and the Broncos had a record setting QB and offense, to compensate for the penalties.

    Just don't see the Rams making a big leap if Bradford increased his average completion by 1.5 yards. Sam completed 159 passes in 7 games. Lets say he completed completed 330 passes, what are we taking about plus 459 yards. That said I'm not saying iy would not help but nit really sure that is the one change I would hope for thus year.

    I'd take fewer penalties and double our rushing TD's in 2014. Give me 20 plus rushing TDs!


  2. #17
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,040
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Rams Any Closer to Catching Seahawks?

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    How is Sam Bradford supposed to improve his yards per pass average when we essentially have the same group of pedestrian wide receivers we had last year, minus Bailey, who genius that he is got himself suspended for the first 4 games of the season? The entire Rams' Brass and coaching staff obviously bets the guys currently on our roster will improve- otherwise we're kidding ourselves.


    In baseball, pitching indeed wins games, but you'd better hit a little bit or you'll have jack sh** to show for all that good pitching. And in football, defense can indeed win championships, but yo'd better be able to put the ball in the end zone with some frequency or you'll be sitting home in January.
    I agree what about the ground game to score more points?

    We have on paper a top ten defense.... Williams and the draft class with what we had in place.

    Add:

    The 20-year-old Auburn tailback flew under the radar after an impressive 2012 season, as a 3-9 (0-8 SEC) record overshadowed Mason’s 1,002 rushing yards, 5.9 yards per carry and eight scores. Auburn’s 2013 Heisman finalist kept pace in his junior season, carrying the ball 317 times rushing for 1,816 yards. Considering he played in the SEC, his 5.7 YPC and 23 touchdowns speak even louder to what he is capable of.
    Zac also can hammer it in. I have to think we are banking on scoring more rushing TDs then passing TDs.

    Thoughts?

  3. #18
    Ram Dragoon's Avatar
    Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,264
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Rams Any Closer to Catching Seahawks?

    Catch the Squawks in what sense? Obviously the goal is to win the division and press into the post season. In one sense the 49whinners "caught up" to the Squawks or are equal. Or does caught up meaning being able to match man-for-man to be able to win?

    The NFC West is (mostly) defense first...run the ball affectively and often...and get the ball down range.

    Wilson and Kaepernick are by far no K. Warner with QB passing skills and Bradford hasn't had much of a chance to be mentioned in the same sentence. Its been a strategy of, don't do anything really stupid Mr. Quarterback just keep us in the game.

    Other then all 4 NFC West teams trend toward the same core philosophy, there is a huge differences. The Rams this year is saying, "we will spot you, Squawks/whiners/cards receiver talent but match you with defense." I am think this will be the year of the NFC WEST QBs, epic wins or fails. Yes the mentioned teams have some of the best WR talent in the whole of the NFL, but are the QBs equal to getting them the ball--I don't think that question has really been answered

  4. #19
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,209
    Rep Power
    70

    Re: Rams Any Closer to Catching Seahawks?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I agree what about the ground game to score more points?

    We have on paper a top ten defense.... Williams and the draft class with what we had in place.

    Add:



    Zac also can hammer it in. I have to think we are banking on scoring more rushing TDs then passing TDs.

    Thoughts?
    I am not trying to be overly negative, but I am just not sold on Fisher's emphasis on the running game, and that is coming from someone who has been pro-Fisher from day one. I think this philosophy flies in the face of conventional thinking in the pass-first world of today's NFL. This is not 1985. And this philosophy does no favors for Bradford- a guy from whom much more is expected from a fan base growing tired of waiting for a winning season. And to think he is going to dramatically improve his yards-per-completion or any such statistic with the Brian Quicks and the Austin Pettises of the world is folly.

    It is year three of the Jeff Fisher tenure. Improvement has been shown and credibility has been brought to Rams Park. It is now time for them to take that next step. I truly hope Fisher's approach is the right one and these receivers have improved by leaps and bounds or we'll be once again talking about Bradford's unfulfilled potential, the lack of weapons, etc. at seasons' end.

  5. #20
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,449
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Rams Any Closer to Catching Seahawks?

    For his YPA to improve, Bradford needs a REAL WR... Somebody he can trust, cuz he sure as hell doesn't look like he trusts any of these guys. When Sam gets comfortable with a guy you can tell. That's when he is at his "best". In college he had Jermaine Gresham, in his young years he had Mark Clayton, and recently he has had Danny Amendola. All these guys are average at best. Imagine what Sam could do if he had an Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitz, Josh Gordon, Megatron, or any of these top WR's?

    Sam is NOT afraid to let it rip, but only when he's comfortable with the WR. I don't blame him one bit for taking the dumpoff as opposed to going to Chris Givens or Austin Pettis...


    THE DREAM TEAM

  6. #21
    FestusRam's Avatar
    FestusRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri
    Posts
    1,181
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Rams Any Closer to Catching Seahawks?

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    How is Sam Bradford supposed to improve his yards per pass average when we essentially have the same group of pedestrian wide receivers we had last year, minus Bailey, who genius that he is got himself suspended for the first 4 games of the season? The entire Rams' Brass and coaching staff obviously bets the guys currently on our roster will improve- otherwise we're kidding ourselves.
    That's exactly what the Rams' brass expects.

    These receivers are young. Other than Pettis and the newly acquired Britt, no receiver on the roster has more than two years of NFL experience. We overhauled the receiving core with young talent, rather than overpay in free agency. There's going to be growing pains. It's not like the Rams have a receiving core full of washed up vets who have already hit their ceiling and are on the decline.

    A healthy offensive line, for once, would also go a long way in helping improve Bradford's YPA.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -05-22-2014 at 01:25 AM.

  7. #22
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,864
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Rams Any Closer to Catching Seahawks?

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I am not trying to be overly negative, but I am just not sold on Fisher's emphasis on the running game, and that is coming from someone who has been pro-Fisher from day one. I think this philosophy flies in the face of conventional thinking in the pass-first world of today's NFL. This is not 1985. And this philosophy does no favors for Bradford- a guy from whom much more is expected from a fan base growing tired of waiting for a winning season. And to think he is going to dramatically improve his yards-per-completion or any such statistic with the Brian Quicks and the Austin Pettises of the world is folly.
    The Broncos might not agree on the 1985 comment. As far as favors for Sam, I'm sure he would very much like to be able to hand off and get first downs as opposed to having the world on his shoulders every single down.

    More emphasis on the running game doesn't have to mean Jeff's favors the run over the pass. The "emphasis" should be on improving enough to make our opponents respect the run, fear it even. If it is third down and we need that crucial yard or two, we need to be able to get those yards more often than not - move people off the ball, beat them up - even when they know we're most likely going to run. The way Jeff is building our defense, particularly now that Williams is aboard - ball control looks to be Jeff's game. Keep it close, and win the war of attrition in the last quarter.

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    It is year three of the Jeff Fisher tenure. Improvement has been shown and credibility has been brought to Rams Park. It is now time for them to take that next step. I truly hope Fisher's approach is the right one and these receivers have improved by leaps and bounds or we'll be once again talking about Bradford's unfulfilled potential, the lack of weapons, etc. at seasons' end.
    I am sure Jeff knows we won't make the postseason if we cannot pass with a modicum of success. A strong running game is an important part of the equation, but a balanced must be the goal. Your comments on our current receivers are certainly warranted until they prove otherwise.

    In this year's draft, we really strengthened both our O and D lines and likely improved our secondary considerably. We didn't get a Sammy Watkins, but we did get a Tre Mason. Maybe our group of young receivers will show some real improvement, perhaps Kenny Britt might help .. or not .. I believe we had a good draft, but clearly we didn't have enough picks to get Sammy Watkins and Greg Robinson. I am glad we opted to beef up our O-line. I am hoping at least one or two of our receivers step it up several notches, but there's that "hope" word again.

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    How is Sam Bradford supposed to improve his yards per pass average when we essentially have the same group of pedestrian wide receivers we had last year, minus Bailey, who genius that he is got himself suspended for the first 4 games of the season? The entire Rams' Brass and coaching staff obviously bets the guys currently on our roster will improve - otherwise we're kidding ourselves.
    Or maybe they're just hoping like the rest of us ..

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    In football, defense can indeed win championships, but you'd better be able to put the ball in the end zone with some frequency or you'll be sitting home in January.
    That for sure is the bottom line. I don't know how one could argue with that statement.

  8. #23
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,342
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Rams Any Closer to Catching Seahawks?

    Cam Newton had an YAC of 7.14. 7.66 for his career. Has he had great receivers?
    Did Tom Brady have great receivers last year while getting to 6.91?
    Philip Rivers had a 8.23 last year. Did San Diego have great receivers last year?

    The argument that Bradford doesn't have the receivers is worthless once Clemens put up a 6.9 YAC. Bradford needs to step up his game or he's gone after 2015. Zero doubt about it. Sam was having a quality season when he went down but it needs to improve.

  9. #24
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,548
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Rams Any Closer to Catching Seahawks?

    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Cam Newton had an YAC of 7.14. 7.66 for his career. Has he had great receivers?
    Did Tom Brady have great receivers last year while getting to 6.91?
    Philip Rivers had a 8.23 last year. Did San Diego have great receivers last year?

    The argument that Bradford doesn't have the receivers is worthless once Clemens put up a 6.9 YAC. Bradford needs to step up his game or he's gone after 2015. Zero doubt about it. Sam was having a quality season when he went down but it needs to improve.
    First of all, the issue is Y/A (yards per attempt), not YAC (yards after catch).

    Second, I don't think Y/A is all about Sam. It also has to do with time to throw, the plays called, and the receivers producing yards after the catch. I suspect that the Y/A numbers will improve, but I don't think you can simply say that Sam needs his Y/A to be _____ or his time in St. Louis will end.

  10. #25
    BlueTalon's Avatar
    BlueTalon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Washington
    Age
    53
    Posts
    213
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Rams Any Closer to Catching Seahawks?

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Second, I don't think Y/A is all about Sam. It also has to do with time to throw, the plays called, and the receivers producing yards after the catch. I suspect that the Y/A numbers will improve, but I don't think you can simply say that Sam needs his Y/A to be _____ or his time in St. Louis will end.
    He has a point though. If Clemens had a higher YPA than Bradford with exactly the same supporting cast, then either the play calling was significantly different or Bradford just isn't as willing or adept at slinging the ball down the field. And if that's the case, it can't help but to have a significant impact on the way games are planned and played, and on the final results of those games.

    That said, there is no one stat that determines the outcome of a game apart from the final score. Probably the single most important stat would be turnover ratio. However, the author makes a fairly compelling case about the combination of turnovers + YPA. A 90% prediction rate is nothing to sneeze at.

  11. #26
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,040
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Rams Any Closer to Catching Seahawks?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon View Post
    He has a point though. If Clemens had a higher YPA than Bradford with exactly the same supporting cast, then either the play calling was significantly different or Bradford just isn't as willing or adept at slinging the ball down the field. And if that's the case, it can't help but to have a significant impact on the way games are planned and played, and on the final results of those games.
    The playbook did change in week five and so did the running back from DRich to Zac. DRich was cut last week. Also later in the year we started a rookie, Stedman Bailey who some would say played the best of our young WR.

    That said, there is no one stat that determines the outcome of a game apart from the final score. Probably the single most important stat would be turnover ratio. However, the author makes a fairly compelling case about the combination of turnovers + YPA. A 90% prediction rate is nothing to sneeze at.
    Agreed!


    Comparing NFL Turnover Ratios to Winning Percentage
    By Dave Schwab on March 1, 2014 [Updated: March 1, 2014]

    It would be extremely hard to argue against the fact that turnovers in the NFL have a huge impact on the outcome of any game. Just ask the Denver Broncos their thoughts on the subject after turning the ball over four times in a 43-8 loss to Seattle in Super Bowl XLVIII. The bigger question is what kind of overall impact do they have?

    The Champs Prove the Point

    The fact of the matter is that turnovers have a huge impact on the outcome of a team’s entire record for the season. If you have any questions about this statement, just ask the World Champion Seahawks, who led the NFL during the regular season with a turnover ratio of +20. The offense coughed the ball up 19 times, which was the third lowest total in the league and Seattle’s opportunistic defense posted 28 interceptions to go along with 11 fumble recoveries for a grand total of 39 takeaways, which was the highest total in the league.

    Before making life miserable for Peyton Manning and the Denver offense in this season’s Super Bowl, the Seahawks had a 1-0 edge in turnovers against New Orleans in the Divisional Round of the NFL playoffs with a recovered fumble and they snagged two interceptions and another fumble to carve-out a 3-1 edge over San Francisco in the NFC Championship.

    Just as a matter of record, the Broncos had a turnover ratio of zero in the regular season with 26 takeaways and 26 giveaways and New Orleans was also dead even with 19 of each, which does go a bit against the grain. San Francisco on the other hand was second in the NFC with a turnover ratio of +12.
    For the year the Hawks where the best.

    Rank Team Takeaways Giveaways TO Ratio Win%
    1 Seattle Seahawks 39 19 20 0.813

    YPA he lump that in there, no sure how much of an impact this really has.
    Last edited by Rambos; -05-22-2014 at 01:02 PM.

  12. #27
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,548
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Rams Any Closer to Catching Seahawks?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon View Post
    He has a point though. If Clemens had a higher YPA than Bradford with exactly the same supporting cast
    He didn't. Sam played with Zac Stacy as the starting RB for 3 of his 7 games. Clemens had him for all 9 of his. The improvement of the running game made a huge difference, as it allowed the Rams to effectively use the play action pass and to face fewer 3rd and long situations.

    Clemens also had the benefit of Tavon Austin's development, as he clearly became more integrated into the offense as the season progressed.

    The real difference between the two is that Sam had a 5.3 TD% and a 1.5 INT%, while Clemens had a 3.3 TD% and a 2.9 INT%.
    sosa39rams likes this.

  13. #28
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,040
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Rams Any Closer to Catching Seahawks?

    Still not sure what YAC has to do with wins.

    Sam had a 6.53 YAC against the Jags with a QB RAT of 105.3 and we won.
    Sam had a 7.31 YAC against the Texans with a QB RAT of 134.6 and we won.
    Sam had a 8.50 YAC against the Panther with a QB RAT of 93.1 and we lost.

    There are many other factors that impact a game other then YAC IMO.

    One last note: The Lions Matthew Stafford had a YAC of 7.33 for the year, he has the best WR in the game and they did not have a winning record. His QB RAT was 84.2.

  14. #29
    emuen's Avatar
    emuen is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Rams Any Closer to Catching Seahawks?

    If we should count personal development over a span of 9 games, as not the same supporting cast, then it gets truly difficult to make comparisons between QBs

    With that said I don't think this thread is about debating whether Bradford or Clemens is the best QB.

    Personally I don't see Y/A as that telling a stat. I could live with 3,3 Y/A if it moved the chains. I instead find it troubling that Bradford during part of the season ranked 1st in passes behind LOS, without significant impact on his completion%, or that (as I've stated before) Bradford often doesn't loosen up and try and air it downfield (even when trailing). I guess you could see his low Y/A as an indicator that he is a conservative QB (same as his low int%), but not whether he is a bad QB or not.

  15. #30
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,040
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Rams Any Closer to Catching Seahawks?

    Quote Originally Posted by emuen View Post
    If we should count personal development over a span of 9 games, as not the same supporting cast, then it gets truly difficult to make comparisons between QBs

    With that said I don't think this thread is about debating whether Bradford or Clemens is the best QB.

    Personally I don't see Y/A as that telling a stat. I could live with 3,3 Y/A if it moved the chains. I instead find it troubling that Bradford during part of the season ranked 1st in passes behind LOS, without significant impact on his completion%, or that (as I've stated before) Bradford often doesn't loosen up and try and air it downfield (even when trailing). I guess you could see his low Y/A as an indicator that he is a conservative QB (same as his low int%), but not whether he is a bad QB or not.
    I recall the game plan was all about dumping the ball off to Tavon early. Austin's performance was not great he dropped 6-of-41 targets and averaged 6.6 yards per catch. I think Sam was just running the plays called and we featured Tavon. That was a big part of it. I do agree he's a conservative QB, is that his nature or is that a result of not trusting the WRs?
    Last edited by Rambos; -05-22-2014 at 03:40 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Closer look at Rams' cap before free agency
    By Rambos in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -03-11-2014, 06:44 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -05-26-2012, 03:15 PM
  3. Rams Closer to Finding Coach
    By Rambos in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: -01-10-2012, 08:02 AM
  4. Rams' Gilyard Is Catching Up
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -08-19-2010, 12:49 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: -02-01-2010, 12:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •