throwback week

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams arrive in camp eager to erase bad taste of '09 season

Rams arrive in camp eager to erase bad taste of '09 season
    BY BILL COATS
    Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:30 am

As he walked out of the airport Wednesday afternoon after a flight from balmy San Diego, veteran quarterback A.J. Feeley was introduced to St. Louis in the summertime.

The sticky, mid-90s heat slammed him like an oncoming linebacker, he said.

"I was like, 'What ... did ... I ... do?'" Feeley, a free-agent pickup in the offseason, said the day before Rams training camp kicks off in Earth City. "I didn't realize it was that humid here."

Rookies were to report Wednesday; they'll practice twice today. The vets aren't required to be in town until Friday, but several checked into the team hotel along with the first-year players.

Seventh-year pro Jacob Bell explained that he wanted to get into the season as quickly as possible after the 1-15 debacle in '09.

"I'm ready to roll," said Bell, who reported that he's fully recovered from offseason knee surgery. "We're excited to get back in the swing of things and get that bad taste out of your mouth from last season. ... I'm looking forward to even the first preseason game, to tell you the truth. I just want to play. I'm excited to see what we can do."

Guard Roger Allen, who made the team last year as an undrafted rookie, said that for him, 2009 is long forgotten.

"It's totally new now, a clean slate," said Allen, who also has been cleared to practice after rehabbing a knee injury. "We're ready to get it started and show people that we have improved, that we're a different team, that we're a better team."

A team that, according to rookie wide receiver Mardy Gilyard, is determined "to bring the Greatest Show on Turf back to St. Louis." Gilyard assured that he wasn't getting ahead of himself; he's fully prepared for the rookie rituals during training camp.

"I'm willing to carry the (veterans') helmets, the shoulder pads, lace their shoes up, serve the Gatorade, fix their dinners, brush their hair. ... Whatever it is, Mardy's not going to be that guy that says, 'I'm not going to do that,'" he said. "Because I didn't do it (at the University of Cincinnati). I was a knucklehead; I was real cocky and arrogant. And I got jumped by the older guys."

After being taped to the goal posts, dunked in a garbage bin and sprayed down with a hose, Gilyard got the message. "I remember the vets saying, 'If you don't want to do it this way, there's always a second option,'" he said. "As a rookie, you don't want to get to the second option.

"I'm going to be one of those guys that the vets know, 'Hey, this rookie knows his place. He knows when to speak, and he knows when not to speak.' ... I want to soak it all in, like a dry sponge in the ocean, to the max. And then soak up some more."

Linebacker Josh Hull, a rookie from Penn State, is adopting a similar mantra. He said coach Steve Spagnuolo told the newcomers "to be humble, let your actions speak for themselves, and say little. I'm going to do everything that I can to be fundamentally sound, make plays, keep my mouth shut and learn from the older guys."

Wide receiver Brandon McRae, an undrafted rookie from Mississippi State, turned heads in the spring but acknowledged experiencing butterflies as camp loomed.

"Of course. My hands are sweating right now," he said. "But instead of just going out there and feeling like a chicken with its head cut off, I actually know what I'm doing now (after the spring drills). So it's a little simpler."

Despite the anxiety and the pressure, few players get such an opportunity, noted Michael Hoomanawanui, a first-year tight end from Illinois. "I pinch myself every day," he said. "You've got to embrace the moment and go out every day like it's your last and have fun."

out of touch

Spagnuolo and his wife, Maria, vacationed for 12 days in Italy after spending time with family on the East Coast.

"We had a great time," he said. "It's a stretch where I get to be with my wife 24-7, which is a great thing."

An unexpected highlight of the trip, Spagnuolo said, was learning that his cell phone couldn't pick up a signal overseas. "It frustrated me at the beginning, but I learned that the world of football and the Rams, everything functions fine without me," he said. "Twelve days, no phone calls, no nothing ... it was good. I was actually glad it happened."

RAM-BLINGS

Rookies, quarterbacks and selected veterans will hit the field at 8:15 this morning for the first practice of camp. A second workout is scheduled for 2:15 p.m. ... The first full-squad practice is set for 3 p.m. Saturday. All practices during training camp are free and open to the public.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Re: Rams arrive in camp eager to erase bad taste of '09 season

Wow no one has said anything about this post so I will lol.

The sticky, mid-90s heat slammed him like an oncoming linebacker, he said.

That quote right there is fact, i live about a hour from st louis and the humidity here is ridiculous.

"We're ready to get it started and show people that we have improved, that we're a different team, that we're a better team."

They need to do that right there, put it on tape.

Mardy Gilyard, is determined "to bring the Greatest Show on Turf back to St. Louis.

I am lovin this guy already great motivation and attitude. Saying he will carry pads do whatever, unlike dez bryant lol (he is gonna hear about that for awhile)

All together I am loving this whole article sounds like there is a positive attitude right now. Sounds to me like they want to get back to making to a winning record. I can't wait to see steven jackson this year. I think he could have a break out year this year. This is his primetime in his career and I think he wants to show he is back after his surgery.

LoyalTexasRam Guest

Re: Rams arrive in camp eager to erase bad taste of '09 season

I can't even describe how much I want the season to get here already. I'm also looking forward to seeing what this season holds in store for us. Maybe 5-6 wins. I know our time at the basement of the league is coming to an end.