throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams assistant gets fresh start

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/20/2006

Jim Chaney, part of the Rams' spanking-new lineup of assistant coaches, anticipated the question: He asked it himself before an interviewer could get the words out.

"Why would a guy from Purdue, who was a coordinator, leave?" said Chaney, who then provided the answer, too.

"Well, I think it's whatever makes you happy and what you want to do," he said. "I'd been at Purdue for nine years, and I just wanted something fresh, wanted to do something different."

Chaney, 43, was Purdue's offensive coordinator, a lofty position in a high-ranking conference. In six of those nine seasons, the Boilermakers ranked in the top 10 nationally in total offense, and were No. 1 in the Big Ten three times.

With the Rams, though, Chaney falls relatively low in the pecking order: He'll serve as an assistant to offensive line coach Paul Boudreau. But that's OK with Chaney, who said he felt the time was right to make a move.

"It was just too good an opportunity to pass up," he said. "I wanted to be a part of it."

At times, Chaney longed for a head-coaching shot in college. In 2000, he was among five finalists for the Missouri job that went to Gary Pinkel.

"I had some opportunities to become a head football coach at jobs that I really didn't want," Chaney said, "and the ones that I really wanted, I couldn't get."

So he rearranged his goals, reopening his mind to other possibilities. When new Rams head coach Scott Linehan, who already had hired longtime Chaney friend and colleague Greg Olson as offensive coordinator, dangled an offer, Chaney accepted.

"It's about people," Chaney said. "Greg Olson and I are very good friends, and I believe in him totally; I think he's a wonderful guy, and I think he's got a great future. And I've known Scott Linehan for a few years, and I just trust and believe in Scott."

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams assistant gets fresh start

very good start , If things continue to go in this direction as for the attitude of our new coaches the players will follow ???