Faucette Honored by CSCCa
Tuesday, June 3, 2008

By Brett Grassmuck

Staff Writer

Rams assistant strength and conditioning coach Chuck Faucette received the highest honor from the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches association (CSCCa) as he was named Master Strength and Conditioning coach earlier this month.

Its a big honor, Faucette said. Im really excited about it. Being in that organization, it started in 2000, Boyd Epley, who started the NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Assocaition), came over with a bunch of these legend coaches, all these strength coaches that have been around for 30 years. Being named to that, Im among a lot of pretty good company. Im real happy about it, and proud.

Becoming a Master Strength and Conditioning coach isnt something that happens overnight. It takes 12 years of being a professional strength and conditioning coach before someone is even considered. During that time, a coach must take continuing education to keep up with growing trends in the business as well as take tests to become certified by the CSCCa.

When you get involved with strength and conditioning, everybody thinks you just have to be some kind of meathead, Faucette said. You have to take tests, you have to study and theres a certain protocol that you have to go through. Its almost like going back to college and taking kinesiology classes.

Faucette is one of only 70 coaches that have been giving the honor of Master Strength and Conditioning Coach by the CSCCa. That list includes coaches that have been influential in the creation and development of strength and conditioning such as Epley, who became the first collegiate strength coach when he joined Nebraska in 1969.

Im in pretty good company with guys like Bob Ward, who used to be with the Cowboys, and Al Vermeil, and some guys that have been around a long time and had done some things that started the business out, Faucette said. Im just glad to be in that kind of company.

Faucette is in equally good company working with Rams head strength and conditioning coach Dana LeDuc, who is entering his 14th season in the NFL, 10 of which have been with the Rams.

Dana is a legend himself, Faucette said. Hes been great to me. Hes passing his knowledge on to me, and Im like a sponge, Im going to take in every bit of information. Ive been fortunate to have some good mentors and Dana is one of them that will help take me to the next level.

For Faucette, becoming an NFL strength and conditioning coach was more than just an opportunity to move to the professional level, it was a chance to recapture his dream. Faucette played for the San Diego Chargers from 1987-1989 when his playing career was cut short after he suffered a broken neck.

I always tell these guys that Im so happy to be back after 20 years, Faucette said. I always had that dream to be back in the league again. Every day is just a blessing for me. Im excited. I love the guys and theyve really taken to me. Its a thrill. Im excited and glad to be here.

His job with the Rams was his first opportunity to get back in the NFL. He spent the previous six seasons as the head strength and conditioning coach at SMU, and three years prior to that as the assistant strength and conditioning coach at Texas.

Were very excited to have him here, Texas alum LeDuc said. He comes from a great program at the University of Texas, a fine institution, and he came very highly recommended from a number of people.
Faucette feels that his experiences as an NFL player will help him relay his knowledge of the importance of strength and conditioning and help the Rams players achieve their goals.

Being a player at one time and doing what these guys are doing, I know how important it is to stay in shape, Faucette said. I was kind of a gym rat when I played. When I broke my neck, I could have easily gotten out of shape and that would have caused a lot more complications. So knowing that kind of stuff and having that experience as a player, then coming in as a coach, I think it gives me a little edge to get my information across to these