Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Varg6 is offline Registered User

Rams' Avery wants kickoff job

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Donnie Avery wants to keep returning kickoffs for the St. Louis Rams besides playing wide receiver, despite fumbling the opening kickoff of the season.

The gaffe set up the Seahawks at the Rams' 19 yard line, but the defense prevented a score with an interception in the end zone.
    Running back Samkon Gado returned the only other kickoff last week for St. Louis. Avery said he knew he had made a mistake and he found out about it Monday during evaluations.

"Coach (Steve Spagnuolo) wrote on paper, 'spin equals fumble so don't spin,"' Avery said with a laugh.
    No official word has been given if Avery, who is in his second season, will return kickoffs in Sunday's game at Washington. He returned one kick in 2008 for 21 years. He also returned kickoffs in college at Houston.
    "If they call my name, I'll go in there," Avery said. "I wasn't surprised when they asked me to do last week. It's fun back there. If he puts me back there, he puts me back there."

He said returning will not detract him from receiving duties. He pointed out Washington's Antwaan Randle El and Philadelphia's DeSean Jackson both return punts.

But it's receiving where St. Louis and Spagnuolo want Avery to make his mark.
    The Rams' receiving corps led by Avery is short on experience. Seattle frequently put eight men up front to thwart the run, almost daring St. Louis to pass.

Those types of defense will be common this season, running back Steven Jackson said.

However, he predicts Avery, along with the other young receivers, will grow as the season progresses and force defenses to change their thinking.

"Everyone comes along differently. Donnie had success last year in his rookie year, but in this league, guys don't go off one year. A lot of defensive coordinators want you to prove yourself over time," Jackson said. "I'm going to do my best to make sure they respect the running game and hopefully get some one-on-ones on the outside. Those guys are talented enough to take advantage of the one-on-ones."

Spagnuolo said he believes Avery will benefit and prosper. Offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur agreed.

"I think Donnie's a hard worker. He's a smart football player and he understands how to play the game," Shurmur said. "All those things matched with his great ability are going to make him a great for a long time."
    Avery said the offense can get going and score points. The team must limit mistakes and penalties. Last week, the Rams were whistled for 10 penalties.

NOTES: S Craig Dahl (hamstring) and G John Greco (wrist) are out for Sunday and will not make the trip. ... DT Leger Douzable was signed to the practice squad. Douzable spent the first week on the New York Giants' active roster. To make room for Douzable, LB K.C. Asiodu was release from the practice squad. ... the Rams spent Friday's practice working on red zone offense with an emphasis on third-down, short yardage and goal-line plays. ... Spagnuolo pumped in the Redskins' fight song loudly during practice to prepare the players for Sunday. "I guess I'll take credit for that one. I've heard it a lot," said Spagnuolo, who has previously coached with Philadelphia and the New York Giants. Both teams are in the same division as the Redskins.

Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

EDIT: Made it a little easier to read.
    Last edited by Varg6; -09-18-2009 at 11:36 PM.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams' Avery wants kickoff job

I used to be all for Avery returning kicks, until his injuries. Now it doesn't seem like such a good idea.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I used to be all for Avery returning kicks, until his injuries. Now it doesn't seem like such a good idea.
    Exactly. Couldn't have said it better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Lange is offline Registered User

He most certainly has the speed and quickness for it, however as it has been pointed out we don't want him injured. Our WR corps really needs him in there as a leader and if he was out for any significant amount of time it could really hurt the team.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I concur with all of you guys. The risk isn't worth the reward, as he's counted on too heavily for us offensively. I know other guys in the league do it, but the last thing we need is a key component injured for the season because of some special teams mishap.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Yeah. And he needs to understand that he's too valuable to the offense to risk being injured and/or focusing on special teams rather than the offense. I'm sure with his speed and versatility he could be a great kick returner but I don't think it's worth it at this point.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

returned one kick in 2008 for 21 "years" or maybe yards. boy that does not make me feel comfortable especially after the fumble last game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keenum is offline Registered User

With our WRs, there's too much risk in losing him. If we had some more depth, than I'd be all for it, but not right now.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

"..He returned one kick in 2008 for 21 years."

LOL!!

Jesus, he must be real tired. That's at least a quarter way to the moon. I'm surprised he's available for the game today..

Arf! Arf!

BEER is offline Registered User

he is the next Hakim, remember how he returned balls?

chucknbob is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    he is the next Hakim, remember how he returned balls?
    Sadly, I remember. In fact, Hakim is the first person I thought of when he dropped that ball.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I concur with all of you guys. The risk isn't worth the reward, as he's counted on too heavily for us offensively. I know other guys in the league do it, but the last thing we need is a key component injured for the season because of some special teams mishap.

Maybe I take that back after watching him basically be non-existent all day then essentially cost us the game by coughing up the ball inside the 10 on what would have been a go-ahead field goal. If one play symbolizes the St. Louis Rams football team, that was it: Find a way to lose.

It's about time Avery starts playing like a bonafide 2nd round pick instead of a guy off the waiver wire. Another disgusting day.

bigredman is offline Registered User

I would give him the job of running beers up and down the stands at the Ed dome, but I would be afraid he'd drop them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Avery should worry about just keeping his WR job.

jackson3909 is offline Registered User

we do need a new kick returner we had 3 kickoff return for 12 yards or less. although if avery was back there he might fumble it, i say put burton back there beacuse he has done it before and had succses in college

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast