Results 1 to 2 of 2
-05-23-2012 #1Registered User
- Join Date
- May 2004
- Maui, Hi.
- Rep Power
Rams Back to Work on Wednesday ..
Posted by Nick Wagoner on May 23, 2012 – 7:51 PM
- The Rams got back on the practice field Wednesday morning for their fifth OTA of the offseason. They went through about a two hour workout in which coach Jeff Fisher said they got a lot done. That included some situational work in the red zone as well as having the offense backed up on its own goal line.
- For the back against the wall drill, Fisher had the team provide the crowd noise, later joking that it was a way to save on electricity bills instead of setting up speakers and having crowd noise pumped in.
“We have a fairly good rookie class, voice wise,” Fisher said, laughing. “We could have got some more out of them but I thought we got a lot done the past two days.”
- The good news for the Rams was they got back some rookies who had been missing including WRs Brian Quick and Chris Givens. That duo along with RB Isaiah Pead had participated in the Rookie Premiere event in Los Angeles last week and missed two OTAs for it. Pead is back in Cincinnati finishing up school as the Bearcats use a quarters system.
- Those that did not practice fully Wednesday for injury issues: CB Josh Gordy, S Matt Daniels, LT Rodger Saffold, WR Danario Alexander, TE Mike Hoomanawanui, DT Michael Brockers and DT Trevor Laws.
- Fisher said the Rams wanted to “back off” on Brockers a bit. He appeared to agitate something a week ago and Fisher said he has some soreness. It’s not considered serious.
- C Scott Wells also did not practice for what Fisher called an excused absence.
- Quick and Givens returned Sunday though Quick ended up on a redeye flight after missing his initial flight. He didn’t hear his flight called because of a new pair of headphones and ended up traveling through the night to return to St. Louis.
- Both players appeared to be working overtime to get up to speed upon their return. Quick spent about 20 minutes working exclusively with QB Sam Bradford after practice. Givens also spent time catching balls from Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis and Tom Brandstater.
“By the end of the week it will be almost as if they never left,” Fisher said. “But still, you miss them, they miss some valuable opportunities.”
- The installation of the offense and defense continues this week. Fisher said Wednesday that the goal remains to have everything in by the time the OTAs and minicamps wrap up in mid-June. He estimated that about 70 percent of the offense and defense has been installed already.
- Some quick hit observations from practice:
- CB Janoris Jenkins continues to make a strong impression and is starting to get some run with the top defensive unit.
- Perhaps the idea that the Rams are set with their top 6 CBs have been a little exaggerated. Young CB Kendric Burney is making an impression and turning some heads with his competitiveness. He’s not the biggest guy out there but he’s showed some resilience and toughness in passing drills.
- The Rams are in the midst of what figures to be an intriguing battle at TE. Right now, Lance Kendricks is filling the ‘move’ TE role while Matt Mulligan is handling the inline duties with the first team. But there are “all shapes and sizes” as Fisher says there and the competition should only increase in the coming weeks. I’ll have more on this topic in a feature story later in the week.
- Undrafted rookie TE Jamie Childers is one of the guys below the radar in that mix trying to make a name for himself. He’s showed some soft hands in the early going.
- As always, take everything with a grain of salt. The goal here is to install the systems, teach everyone how practice is supposed to go and to ultimately prepare everyone for training camp. This isn’t necessarily preparation for the season so much as it’s preparation for the dog days of July and August.
- Back on Friday with more from that workout. The Rams have another OTA then and then get next week off (save for the rookies) before resuming OTAs in June.
- Thanks for reading.
By eldfan in forum RAM TALKReplies: 0Last Post: -07-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Replies: 0Last Post: -11-07-2005, 08:12 PM
By RamWraith in forum RAM TALKReplies: 3Last Post: -11-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Replies: 0Last Post: -08-16-2004, 08:14 AM
Replies: 0Last Post: -08-10-2004, 08:53 AM