r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams/Bears Hall Of Fame Game Still On Track

Hall of Fame Game still on track

By Sal Paolantonio
    July 5, 2011

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is still on track to hold the annual Hall of Fame Game on Aug. 7 between the Chicago Bears and the St. Louis Rams, the first game on the NFL's preseason calendar, according to hall president Steve Perry.

"We're making all plans to have the game on time. We've heard from both parties -- the owners and the players -- and they've expressed their desire to have the game. So, that's our plan," Perry told ESPN.

"Ticket sales are lagging behind where they were compared to this time last year," Perry acknowledged. "That's understandable. There is some uncertainty out there. But we're planning to have the game. Nobody has told us otherwise. In fact, both sides have told us they want to play the game."

Perry said tickets for about half of the 22,000-seat Fawcett Stadium have been sold. The game traditionally is a sellout, and is televised nationally by NBC.

If the game is not sold out, it would be blacked out in the Ohio area around Canton, he said.

Perry said the Bears and Rams both have told the Hall of Fame they plan to play in the game, but to do so, both teams would have to begin training camp by the third week in July, which means the labor negotiators are cutting it extremely close.

Negotiators on both sides have said privately that a deal on a new collective bargaining agreement would have to be reached by July 15 for the Bears and Rams to go to camp on time. Negotiations resume Tuesday in New York.

Perry said the game could be postponed.

"That's not our desire," he said. "It would not have the same impact as having it on Hall of Fame weekend."

Perry said all other Hall of Fame induction ceremonies are scheduled to take place, regardless of the game.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams/Bears Hall Of Fame Game Still On Track

Perry said the game could be postponed.
    Huh?? Postponed untill when?? Games are scheduled for every week going into the regular season. This seems like an odd statement. Just get the negotiations done and make it a moot point, I'm ready for some football!

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Yeah no postponement I have my tickets for the game and it needs to be on August 7th!

MACD is offline Registered User

I like the positive undertone of the article. Ha! I used "undertone" on a football message board!!!!!

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

How about the Bears and Rams get to start camp early, under team and player negotiated compensation deals, to prepare for this game.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Ummm... Gap, teams get to start training camp based on when their first preseason game is, so the Rams and Bears ALREADY get to start camp early. In 19 days, to be specific. That's right. The league and PA have 19 days to get a deal done to the point where the league is comfortable enough to lift the lockout and give teams, specifically the Bears and Rams, enough time to have a free agency period and sign their rookies. I don't see it happening, to tell you the truth.

Which means, at the end of the day, either the Rams and Bears will go to training camp still negotiating with key free agents, or the HOF game will get scrapped(postponed? Until 2012 maybe?) so as to give those two teams a little more time.
    I believe!