Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    sunshine is offline Registered User

Re: rams beat cowboys- are we happy about it?

I was happy about the win...mainly b/c my husband is a Cowboy's fan.....LOL!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I want winners on the field. What i want is to win titles. There is no difference to me between 5-11 and 6-10. I think the players should always give their all and i never suggested otherwise.

Think of it this way. The rams play hard, they do their best and they lose by a field goal on the last play. My point is that under those circumstances we would be better off right now. The joy of winning that last game means a lot less to me than having better options in the draft.

One other point. Its not just the difference between the 8 and the 11, its a difference of three picks IN ALL 7 ROUNDS>

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Of course, the logical extreme of this line of thought is that every team that does not win the Super Bowl would be better off losing all of their games and getting the first pick.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

We win, that's what the RAMS are supposed to do. AV is right, there isn't much difference between number 8 and number 11. There should be plenty of valuable players available when we pick.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

general counsel is offline Registered User

AV, i dont agree that your logical extreme makes sense. You fight to get into the playoffs, thats what gives you a chance to win the superbowl. However, i do agree that the logical extreme is to say that once you are eliminated from the playoffs, you might as well lose the rest of your games.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Varg6 is offline Registered User

either which way, you should NEVER perpously lose at anything. Especially if your better than the other guy (unless its like your kid or something lol) but come on, we should win every game, regardless, ya play for pride if you go to the playoffs or not.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    My point is that under those circumstances we would be better off right now. The joy of winning that last game means a lot less to me than having better options in the draft.

One other point. Its not just the difference between the 8 and the 11, its a difference of three picks IN ALL 7 ROUNDS>

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Great points GC. It's all of our picks, not just one round. No one would say we should lose on purpose, but if we did lose we would be in a better position now in the draft.
    Last edited by ramsbruce; -03-21-2006 at 03:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    The backhanded compliments about Austin Davis are amusing.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Heck yea I'm happy we did. A win is a win and I love wins since we only saw 6 last season.
    RamsFan16

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Another good point GC made was, what if our win was the difference between us having the 1st pick and the 4th pick. How many people would feel differently now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    The backhanded compliments about Austin Davis are amusing.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

So, at what point should the 2002 Rams have started throwing their games? After they started 0-5, or when they were mathematically eliminated?

Sorry, gc... don't mean to be snide. I just don't like the idea that a team should consider its draft status when going on the field to play a game.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Guys, there are ways to "lose" a game without actually doing so on purpose. Such as: play Fitz instead of Martin, play rookies all game to see how they react to game situations, don't blitz, use a "vanilla" gameplan and so on. I agree with GC that 6-10 is really no better than 5-11 and unfortunately for us we are picking at #11 in a draft that may be only feature 8 or 9 blue-chip prospects. I'm afraid we are going to come up short in this draft--at least in the first round.
    BTW this should be familiar with Rams fans as the following list will prove:
    1.) Keith Bullock was taken 1 pick before Canidate

2.) Dan Morgan was taken pick before D. Lew

3.) Marcus Trufant was taken 1 pick before J. Kennedy.
    Imagine our defense today if we had those players.

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    I want winners on the field. What i want is to win titles. There is no difference to me between 5-11 and 6-10. I think the players should always give their all and i never suggested otherwise.
    Agreed. Anyone who is summarizing this point by claiming we want the team to go out and lose on purpose is misunderstanding the entire argument. No one wants the team to go out and throw a game, but merely recognize that when you're out of playoff contention and you look at things like the draft, the end of the season loss helps more.

Just look at this year's draft. Michael Huff and Vernon Davis, two players both coveted by Rams fans as possible additions, could very well both be available at 8th overall. The chances of both being available at 11th overall are pretty slim. Maybe the guy the Rams select at 11th will become an all pro, but there's no question the Rams would be in a better position if they were higher up and had more options to choose from.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

I think Toe Blake said it best when he said "If the day ever comes when I swallow defeat, I'll quit."

BigGameHolt is offline Registered User

I was one of the rams fans who was happy we won the last game due to several reasons: momentum, improvement, attitude. After a pretty bad season that began with high hopes, the Rams played well on the last game of the season with good defense and a good attitude. now with a new coach, some good new defensive players, and some newfound swagger, the rams can become a good team this year, even if we have the 11 and not the 8
    :clanram: BIG GAME Holt

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams beat Cowboys- are we happy about it?

We won the last game due to several reasons: momentum, improvement, attitude. --BigGameHolt
    I like that. And I agree.

That victory at the very end -- after a difficult and adverse season -- established WHAT WE CAN DO WITH A GOOD, SOLID, DEFENSIVE PERFORMANCE.

Winning in Dallas was an 'eye opener' for one thing. Our D was negative and almost embarrassing during 15 games. Then all of a sudden we make one last stand and "play pretend potential". I think fans and players alike celebrated that unexpected feat! Yes, I'm glad we came out winners away from home at the end.

The defense for this new season will be entirely different, of course, so there is little that the Rams can repeat from that particular game (other than the score). Still, the result is there as an example, an excellent example of WHAT A DETERMINED D CAN DO.

Now, from a draft-level perspective, defeating the Cowboys in the last game of the season ... I suppose the possible advantage only ends up being relative, i.e., speculative. Hard to pinpoint.

Welcome to the Clan, Sunshine! :clanram:
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-21-2006 at 06:39 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast