RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Begin Preparation for the Regular Season

Monday, August 21, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

With Phase I of the preseason (training camp) complete; the Rams are turning their attention toward doing things the way they will be done during the regular season.

And with Sept. 10 and the first regular-season game against Denver not that far away, the timing couldn’t be better according to receiver Torry Holt.

“We don’t have long,” Holt said. “We have a couple more weeks. It’s kind of good to see the preseason going pretty fast. We as a football team are getting anxious and excited about our first game. We don’t want to look too far down the road and we are getting excited for it.”

The Rams officially wrapped up the first Camp Linehan before Saturday’s preseason game against Houston. Now, with a full training camp and two preseason game under their belts, the Rams have their first road trip of the year this weekend.

St. Louis travels across the state to Kansas City for the annual Governor’s Cup game against the Chiefs on Saturday night. With two-a-day practices coming to an end last week, Linehan said he thought the timing was good to break into a more regular-season oriented schedule so that the team can grow accustomed to it before the real thing actually begins.

“We’re going to use this week as our first in-season schedule, kind of a mock game week schedule with our players,” Linehan said. “(We will) do an installation tomorrow and Wednesday-like format practice with both groups and special teams and we’ll continue to do it that way. So tomorrow’s Tuesday is like a Wednesday during the year, and then we’ll do Wednesday like a Thursday and do Thursday like a Friday, and treat Friday like a Saturday.”

If you aren’t confused yet, it’s fairly simple. The Rams will meet as usual in the mornings and start preparing game plan formats for the Chiefs. Then, they will have early afternoon practices that will include some installation periods for the aforementioned game plans.

At the conclusion of those practices, there will be time for more meetings.

“It’ll be good for us to get that in prior to our first real game week when we play Denver because we’ve been through it once and the guys will know the schedule,” Linehan said.

Monday’s practice was a little lighter than a usual practice, but that is partially because the Rams have extra time between games. Most of the work done Monday was centered on conditioning and running. It even came to an end a little earlier. Linehan said he wanted to get some extra conditioning in because of the extra day off after the game.

HOLT HEALING: After Holt suffered a bruised sternum against the Texans, he says he wasn’t overly concerned that it might be a serious injury. The x rays proved him correct, but the Rams are still taking a cautious approach with their star receiver.

Holt was held out of Monday’s practice, but did participate in some conditioning drills on the side of the field.

“I feel a lot better than what I thought I was going to feel,” Holt said. “When I woke up this morning, I had to take a deep breath, kind of gather myself. I came in and yesterday I worked out in the pool. Today, I came in and worked out in the pool right away to break some of that mess going on inside. I didn’t want it to sit. I felt better and I ran today. Not a big problem with my breathing. Over all I feel pretty good.”

Holt’s status for this weekend seems uncertain, though the third preseason game is usually the game in which the starters play the most. It seems likely Holt will be OK to play, but the Rams will not rush him into action.

Of course, if it were the regular season, Holt said he would probably be strapping on the pads and helmet this weekend.

“You know me,” Holt said. “I would try with all of my might to play. I am doing everything I can to get back right now. The regular season has more of a sense of urgency, more at stake. Right now I do have the luxury to take advantage of getting better each day. It is the preseason.”

INJURY UPDATES: Aside from Holt’s improving condition, there was plenty of other good news on the field for the Rams during Monday’s practice.

Offensive tackle Orlando Pace was limited, but returned to action. Also returning to the field was fullback Paul Smith and linebacker Drew Wahlroos. Defensive end Brandon Green participated for most of the workout, but was limited by his foot injury.

Defensive end Leonard Little also made strides toward a return from his quadriceps injury, as he ran on the side with Holt.

MSRamman is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Begin Preparation for the Regular Season

The good news is, folks sound like they're healing up around Rams park... the bad news is, we have two more preseason contests before the regular season starts. I'll be holding my breath, we'll definitely need Pace and Holt for the opener...

in reallity we only have one more pre season as its very unlikely that the Rams will play any starters in the last pre season game

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

This is the week we should see (or at least, catch a glimpse of) where we're going. I would expect the starter to play about a half, so we should be able to get a better (though not a complete) feel for what improvements we've made on defense, and how we're going to shore up the special teams play. Also, I'd like to see us put a TD or two on the board with our #1 offensive unit. I'm really excited about this season, and expect a turnaround year for the Rams. Let's keep all our fingers and toes crossed and hope we get through this game without any major injuries.

I really want to see how the Rams do against a bigger, more powerful back. Something they'll have to do when they play the Broncos on opening day, and if they have any plans on competing for the Division with Seattle. I think they'll put enough pressure on the passer (with all our new blitz packages) to disrupt most passing games, but I'm concerned about their ability to stop a power running game. The final game is just a "last look" game to get a look at the guys on the bubble, and I don't think you can learn anything by watching that one. Just stay healthy and get ready for Denver.