HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams begin their offseason workouts

Rams begin their offseason workouts
    By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    03/20/2005

Little more than nine weeks have passed since the Rams' 2004 season ended with a second-round playoff loss in Atlanta. But the players begin working in earnest on 2005 with today's start of the team's offseason conditioning program.

"We're going to have a full house," strength-and-conditioning coach Chris Clausen said. "We're going to have close to 95 percent of the players on the roster here. Normally, we get about 40 to 45 guys. This year, we're anticipating upwards of 50 players."

Left tackle Orlando Pace, who signed a seven-year contract with the club Wednesday, is expected to attend. So is linebacker Chris Claiborne, a free-agent pickup from Minnesota. The Rams' other new linebacker, Dexter Coakley, will be delayed about a week because his wife just had a baby.

For Clausen, fellow strength-and-conditioning coach Dana LeDuc, and trainer Jim Anderson and his staff, the theme of this year's program might be "back to basics."

That's because coach Mike Martz is eliminating all football from the program until about mid-May. In years past, position coaches might take individual players on the field for about a half-hour to work on technique or drills. Not this year.

"We don't do any of that any more," Martz said last week, before leaving for back surgery in Los Angeles. "Players need the psychological and the physical break from all the football stuff. ... Guys just need the time away, just to have that freedom. It's so intense once the season starts, you just get consumed by it.

"It's good for coaches, too. Otherwise, you end up doing a lot of practice coaching that you don't need to do in the spring."

Other than the rookie minicamp at the end of April, the Rams won't do any football work until mid-May.

"When we get to mid-May, it gets going pretty good," Martz said. "Then, we start some OTAs (organized team activity). Minicamp is the first weekend of June. And then we'll follow that up with two really heavy weeks of OTAs."

That takes the team into the third week of June, at which time they'll break until the start of training camp.

But for five weeks, starting today, the offseason program consists of just lifting and running, four days a week.

"Basically we have four groups spread out throughout the morning," Clausen said.

Two groups run; the other two lift weights. The weight training takes about 60 to 75 minutes. The running takes about 45 minutes to an hour. So players can take care of each day's workout in about 2 hours.

"Our goals are pretty consistent from year to year," Clausen said. "We try to take each athlete, and fundamentally make them stronger, improve their base, which in turn will improve their ability to apply force on the field.

"We work on their running techniques. Their acceleration ability. Their ability to change direction. The players have a lot of natural ability. We try to get them back to that level as early in the offseason as we can. And we try and improve on it."

According to Anderson, the head trainer, several players will be limited at the start of the offseason program because of surgery. In particular, offensive linemen Scott Tercero, Adam Timmerman and Grant Williams, plus linebackers Brandon Chillar and Pisa Tinoisamoa, will be limited in weight training because of shoulder operations.

Williams also had elbow surgery; Timmerman also had foot surgery.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams begin their offseason workouts

Williams also had elbow surgery
    Ohhh. I thought he was just a bad offensive lineman. Ladies and gentelmen I think we found our right tackle! :redface:

viper is offline Registered User

Don't bet on it, Zig. Eternal optimism is bliss, but, in this case I doubt it. Depth yes, starter no. I hope I'm wrong my friend. We still need to pick up a starting RT thru the draft or FA.

Go Rams!!! :ramlogo:

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

Has anyone heard anything about the workouts thus far?

Anyone overweight?? Hurt? Looking sharp?? Bulked-up???

I need data... must have data!!!!!

RealRam is online now Registered User

Has anyone heard anything about the workouts thus far? Anyone overweight?? Hurt? Looking sharp?? Bulked-up??? I need data... must have data!!!!! --ARF
    I hear you, Augusta. It's that time of the year.