throwback week

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams Begin Workouts

Rams Begin Workouts
    Wednesday, March 22, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

With the first opportunity for the Rams to gather since the hiring of coach Scott Linehan and staff and the addition of some key free agents coming Monday, there were plenty of introductions to be made.

But with all of the turnover on the roster and the coaching staff, it was easy to pick up on a sense of relief to be back at the grind and, in a sense, starting over.

“It's a whole different atmosphere, and I think this is the most excited I've been coming back to work," quarterback Marc Bulger said.

The reason for that optimism comes in part from the way the new coaching staff has expressed an eagerness to get to work and openness to some of the ideas that remain from the previous staff.

In Bulger’s case, for example, Linehan and Co. has made it a point to consult with him on certain ideas for the offense and let him know how much of a priority it is to keep him upright in 2006.

"I think change is good, not that the old people that were here, there was anything wrong with them," Bulger said. "Sometimes you just need change. I think it is going to be good for everyone here. There's been changes on defense, and I'm sure there will be some on offense. It's all about getting better."

The changes have been numerous. Since the end of the season, the team has hired Linehan and an almost completely new coaching staff. They have added linebacker Will Witherspoon, defensive tackle La’Roi Glover, cornerback Fakhir Brown, safety Corey Chavous and quarterback Gus Frerotte while waving goodbye to defensive tackles Ryan Pickett and Damione Lewis and safety Adam Archuleta.

Even receiver Isaac Bruce, the original St. Louis Ram, was off the roster if only for a short period of time before signing a new contract. With all of the comings and goings it has been difficult for the Rams to keep a handle on who’s who without a program.

“Corey Chavous is here, Glover is here, Witherspoon is here,” linebacker Trev Faulk said. “Everybody is here working. I think this is the first step in developing your team. We come in here and sweat together.”

Monday was the first day of what Faulk referred to as “voluntary” workouts. Of course, the offseason conditioning program is voluntary in name only as it is strongly suggested that most players participate.

And with that, a good portion of the Rams converged upon Rams Park on Monday to convene the offseason program. One of the coaches still in place is strength and conditioning coach Dana LeDuc. He is joined by assistant Brad Roll, who is a new addition.

While LeDuc and Roll have some new players to work with, they also have some new weight room toys to use.

“They have some new equipment in the weight room and some of the lifts and things are different,” Faulk said. “As far as the workouts we have been doing a little more than we did in the past couple of years and we did more conditioning. It was a nice little introduction. It wasn’t no easing back into it. Let’s get it. Let’s work.”

Aside from the work in the weight room and conditioning in the indoor practice facility, the Rams still have a few more roster tweaks in store for the season. Punter Jason Baker’s visit ends today and returner Michael Lewis is expected for a visit this week.

St. Louis has some cap room remaining to work with, but must hold some back for its draft class. Running back Marshall Faulk’s status remains in question, but all indications are that he will be returning to the team after a number of meetings with Linehan.

That question could be answered on April 21, when the team holds its first mini-camp. That camp runs April 21-23 and is also considered “voluntary.” The Rams will follow that with mini-camps May 13-15 (rookies and selected veterans) and June 9-11 (mandatory for all).

Rip32 Guest

Re: Rams Begin Workouts

Its good to hear that everyone seems to be happy and excited in whats going on with the team and also that Marshall is looking like he is going to return to us this year,Cant wait for it all to begin

RamsFan16 Guest

And so it begins ... The Revampin of the St. Louis Rams . Once an offensive powered team, now a Defensive Powered team that will smack you in the mouth. THey go from selling tickets to winning championships!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

The Revampin of the St. Louis Rams . Once an offensive powered team, now a Defensive Powered team that will smack you in the mouth.
    The offense will still be the strength of this team.

RamsFan16 Guest

I know. I'm talking in a few years

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

In Bulger’s case, for example, Linehan and Co. has made it a point to consult with him on certain ideas for the offense and let him know how much of a priority it is to keep him upright in 2006.
    All sounds well in Ramville.
    IMO we will see some of the same offense, but hopefully they will be able to control the tempo of the game as well.
    It sounds like they will be adding another o-lineman or two. I wouldn't be surprised if a vet like Jacox is signed, given his past relationship with Haslett.

I'm really looking forward to the season.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey