Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Re: Rams being lead by a Defensive Coordinator

If the Rams still have Haslett as the coach at the end of the season I will be shocked. He could say whatever he wants but the job does not belong to him yet. If he wins and makes this team do a 360 then yeah. It will take alot more then a couple weeks to instill a winning attitude into this bunch. They are a team that gets down and then down and then down. That is the sign of a team with no idenity no swagger no bravado. He was part of this team while they went down in flames therefore he is a contributor to their failures if you ask me. The coaching staff in my eyes has been the week link.

Bill Cowher for head coach is what I want.

LET'S GO DODGERS

YodaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LaRamsFanLongTime View Post
    If the Rams still have Haslett as the coach at the end of the season I will be shocked. He could say whatever he wants but the job does not belong to him yet. If he wins and makes this team do a 360 then yeah. It will take alot more then a couple weeks to instill a winning attitude into this bunch. They are a team that gets down and then down and then down. That is the sign of a team with no idenity no swagger no bravado. He was part of this team while they went down in flames therefore he is a contributor to their failures if you ask me. The coaching staff in my eyes has been the week link.

Bill Cowher for head coach is what I want.
    I.M.H.O. you make good points, L.aR.F.L.T. As far as Haslett being chosen as the interim head coach. Well, i have my reservations. Although, i hope for a "180" as opposed to a "360" in direction. (seeking the opposite direction we're going in). Choosing Haslett or Saunders troubles me. Neither has done a "good" job in their hired-on jobs as coordinators. The Front Office has seen this development coming on for some time and had no better plan in place?
    I do agree that the coaching staff has been a weak link. But we do have some veteran players on both sides of the ball. There has to be accountability there! They are grown men. They should have a good idea of the adjustments that are needed "on the field" to minimize damage on the defense. And maximize opportunities on the offense. There is no doubt that Linehan had to go! But i wonder just how deep this "POISON" of ineptitude has infected this organization. Too complacent for too long. Stagnant.
    Sign a quarterback and running back for top$$$ and never "effectively" address your offensive line or defensive ISSUES!...HHhmm....
    I would love to have Cowher! But i would think that he is smart enough to figure out that this organization is far from ready to move in a positive direction. Sorry for the negativity........

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Granted, Ramblin' Ram. During preseason, I believe.

What a great team that was...sigh, Still, Ray M was a DC & he led The Rams to the NFC title game that year & then The SB,no?

The Youngbloods,Fred Dryer,Cullen Bryant...so many memories.

Wasn't Klosterman still the GM?

My late father used to talk about The Duke of Del Rey.

What would the Eighties have been with Klosterman & Steve Rosenbloom in the FO ? Bet they'd have given The Whiners a run for their money.

Suffice it to say, there was never much said in our house about Georgia that could be repeated in mixed company.
    Finally someone who agrees with me. I have been saying that the Rams probelem has stemmed from the top for some time. I didn't think that it could have gone this high up but I believe you're right, Maybe Georgia herself was the problem and the fact that her kids want to honor her and keep doing what she did isn't helping anything.

Personally I would like to see Marty Shotenhiemer as our next coach. I loved what he did in SD and hes a no non-sense guy.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    when then DC Lovie Smith had to resort to a bend but do-not break style of D. Now he runs an attack style defence over in Chicago.

He's not the DC in Chicago- that's probably why.

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

If freaking Lovie would have had anyone but Jason Sehorn as the deep help for Steve Smith on 3rd and 18 we might have been in the superbowl that year.

Veteran players definatly have some accountability in the here and now. I do however give the offense a little sympathy for the fact that every year they are learning a new offense and will probably go through it again next year.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by guud
    the fact that her kids want to honor her and keep doing what she did isn't helping anything.
    Chip fired Linehan after 4 games, though Georgia's desire was for him to have a full 3rd season. As well, Chip agreed to give full personnel control to the HC and the Personnel VP.......that is to say, take personnel control AWAY FROM Georgia's 27 year confidant, Zygmunt.

I'd say Chip has begun making his own imprint.

Next step will be walking Shawgmunt to their collective horse to ride off into the sunset after the season.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Mike Martz was completely defensive-minded. He was also big on ball control offense, precision time management, and only challanging plays when it was abosolutely obvious that it would be overturned.
    I dont agree with that. I think he was a very offensive minded coach. He knew the defense, but that really wasnt his concern because he always believed that his offense could put up big numbers and give the defense motivation, especially early on in the game.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rNemesis View Post
    I dont agree with that. I think he was a very offensive minded coach. He knew the defense, but that really wasnt his concern because he always believed that his offense could put up big numbers and give the defense motivation, especially early on in the game.
    What??? Anyway.. I say it was Chuck Knox. Chuck was so defensive about his , run right , run left, run up the middle ,punt offense .Very defensive.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Quote Originally Posted by LaRamsFanLongTime View Post
    If freaking Lovie would have had anyone but Jason Sehorn as the deep help for Steve Smith on 3rd and 18 we might have been in the superbowl that year.
    You don't think it had anything to do with giving up 500+ yds of offense in that game? It's not like the Panthers were an offensive juggernaut. It was a terrible call, a horrible gameplan and our defense got progressively worse every year with Smith as he got rid of good players and replaced them with "lovie-type players" (i.e. London Fletcher for Jamie Duncan).
    Last edited by moloch41; -10-01-2008 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rNemesis View Post
    sar·casm –noun 1.harsh or bitter derision or irony. 2.a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.
    [Origin: 1570–80; < LL sarcasmus < Gk sarkasmós, deriv. of sarkázein to rend (flesh), sneer; see sarco-]

—Synonyms 1. sardonicism, bitterness, ridicule. See irony1. 2. jeer.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

I think this is Hasletts job to lose. Lets face it Chip took forever to pull the plug on this deal with Linehan, come on 2 meetings after the Bills loss to decide if the decision to fire Linehan was the right decision, this guy appears to be quite non-confrontational and I don't see him pulling the plug on Haslett if he shows any kind of progress with this team. Unless there is someone who is available in the offseason who is a proven winner and wants to come here I would be shocked if Haslett gets removed. As far as Cowher goes, I would love to see "The Chin" roaming the Rams sidelines in 09 but it's just not going to happen. Reports are that he just bought a home in the Cleveland area so if I were Romeo Cornell I would be worried.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Chip fired Linehan after 4 games, though Georgia's desire was for him to have a full 3rd season. As well, Chip agreed to give full personnel control to the HC and the Personnel VP.......that is to say, take personnel control AWAY FROM Georgia's 27 year confidant, Zygmunt.

I'd say Chip has begun making his own imprint.

Next step will be walking Shawgmunt to their collective horse to ride off into the sunset after the season.

I couldn't agree more,HUbison. It was a brave and timely move by the new owner. Maybe he is the Chip off the old Rosenbloom block we've needed to make the Rams a perennial contender again.

Who replaces Shawgmunt (nice one, big H !) & how they mesh with whomever is coaching and scouting talent is another huge move.

I'd love to have a beer with Al Michaels or Frank Gifford, who know everybody in football, to see who'd be on their shortlist.

We have the talent at the skill positions to play with most teams right now IF everything else goes right-injuries, gameday luck,etc.

What we don't have is the consistently sound decision-making infrastructure at the top that gives you the stability to overcome the loss of a star or a tough schedule or a draft bust here & there.

By the by, I think we'll find out if the Cheatriots are such an organization these next few years after the video scandal, SB loss, and Brady's injury.

While I am admittedly biased, I don't think you can call the Patsies a dynasty or even perennial powerhouse until they've made one of these rough transitions successfully.

The Hadl trade was one such moment for The Rams, Montana to Young for the Whiners was another.

Nb; if you don't know what I mean about Hadl, imagine your star QB being traded for 3 1st round picks which are used on 2 O-linemen & a DE.

V. controversial, as you can imagine, but those guys were part of the stability for The Rams to contend every year without a lot of superstars .I can only wonder at the hysteria such a move would create today.

People who can make decisions like that are rare as hens teeth, as my grandma would have said. It's a conundrum; where do you find a highly sophisticated but collaborative business brain who understands, & has the passion to spend his time seriously focused on, a child's game ?

There are some who fit one criterion or the other but the more you fragment the braintrust, the less cohesive,right?

Haslett could ,with some luck, make this team ,"as-is", competitive this year as our schedule softens relatively and maybe even next season, such is the parity of the modern NFL, but the real future of the franchise is in unknown hands.

I don't envy Chip the task of finding that person or persons & wish him all the best.

pikers is offline Registered User

I look at any head coach position like I view the Presidency. Unlike hockey, assistant coaches make the team move forward, and are critical in a team's success.

In other words, as long as the HC lets the ACs do their jobs, the HC almost is LESS important than the staff that surrounds him (as a collective). You cannot have a team with a brilliant HC, surround him with morons, and expect the HC to counterweight the idiocy around him.

I think therefore it doesn't really matter about whether he's "offensive/defensive-minded" other than perhaps establishing an overall philosophy for the team.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12