Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams believed to be ready to name Cowboys' Jason Garrett their new coach

War Room
    Rams believed to be ready to name Cowboys' Jason Garrett their new coach

Posted: January 16, 2009
    Sporting News staff reports

SportingNews.com - Your expert source for NFL Football stats, scores, standings, blogs and fantasy news from NFL Football columnists

Jason Garrett, offensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys, is expected to be named coach of the St. Louis Rams on Saturday.

Garrett was headed to St. Louis on Friday, SN contributor Mike Florio reports on his ProFootballTalk.com website.

"If Garrett is the guy, and if reports that Garrett gave the Cowboys a 'me-or-T.O.' ultimatum are true, it means that the Cowboys have decided to bring back Owens -- at the expense of losing their offensive coordinator," Florio reports.

The Rams said Thursday they wanted to have their coach in place by Saturday.

It was believed the Rams might wait for Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan to become available for interview before making a decision. But with the Ravens still in action -- they face the Pittsburgh Steelers in Sunday's AFC championship game Ryan doesn't meet the Rams' time frame. Ryan did have a preliminary interview with the team last weekend.

The move also would apparently KO the chances of Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier from consideration.

However, Frazier and New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo were reported to be finalists for the Rams job, the SN Rams correspondent Jim Thomas reports on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch website.

Frazier and Spagnuolo interviewed with the team in Los Angeles this week, and Thomas reports Frazier was the No. 1 choice.

Thomas makes no mention of Garrett is his post, in which he credits multiple sources, including team sources.

The Dallas Morning News reports Owens agent Drew Rosenhaus says his client isn't leaving the Cowboys.

"The reason why they got rid of [Adam "Pacman" Jones] is because Pacman has terrible off-the-field problems, and the guy just simply can't play anymore. He's just not that good," Rosenhaus told the Morning News.

"Terrell's never had off-the-field problems, and he's been one of the greatest players ever. And they just gave him a monster contract. I mean, they just gave him a huge extension before the season. He's not going anywhere."

If Garrett does indeed stick to his guns and Cowboys officials have decided not to dispose of Owens, Garrett would be gone.

The Rams come off their worst season in St. Louis, finishing 2-14 and having fired coach Scott Linehan. They used Jim Haslett as interim coach to finish the season but, despite backing from players, apparently Haslett didn't make the cut for coaching the team full time.

In a Morning News blog, Brian Davis wonders: Would the Cowboys be interested in hiring Jon Gruden, whom the Tampa Bay Buccaneers fired on Friday?

The question is open, and pieces apparently will begin to fall in place if Garrett is hired by the Rams.

In a story for Post-Dispatch, Thomas wrote the following about Garrett:

En route to a 13-3 regular season in 2007, the Cowboys sent seven offensive players to the Pro Bowl. They finished second in the league in scoring, third in total offense and fourth in passing yards. . . .

But there's an old saying about NFL standing for "Not For Long." Things can change in a hurry, and it doesn't apply just to players. Garrett learned this the hard way in 2008, when the Cowboys slipped to 18th in scoring, 13th in total offense and ninth in passing yards. In fact, they slipped right out of the playoff race as one of the NFL's biggest underachievers.

Garrett, 42, already has had head-coaching interviews with Denver and Detroit this offseason. He interviewed with the Rams on Wednesday in Los Angeles. But he doesn't seem to be nearly the hot commodity he was a year ago.

Garrett's detractors say this year's problems in Dallas showed that he simply isn't ready to be a head coach.

His supporters say there wasn't much he could do about them since he wasn't the head coach. Plus, there's a long list of coaches and players that wide receiver Terrell Owens couldn't get along with, be it in San Francisco, Philadelphia or Dallas. . . .

Overall, Garrett's reputation in Dallas is of a coach who stresses communication with the players, so much so that they usually seek him out. He's said to be persuasive in meetings, but in an inclusive sort of way. And no one questions his smarts or his savvy.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams believed to be ready to name Cowboys' Jason Garrett their new coach

There's not enough validity in the argument that this man should be a head coach. This is a mistake, and I am incredibly upset. I thought Devaney knew what he was doing, again if he's our guy, I want him to explain why. To me, this isn't the drastic change we need.

Rosenbloom, why couldn't you just sell the team this year? I'm getting sick of this...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Im not one of the type to start hollerin about how much we dont need Garrett, as I really think he can make it work for a team with him as HC..but if they were gonna go this route then why the hell didnt they just keep Haslett??..this article doesnt make sense to me with everything else that ive been hearing, but man we dont need to be passing up names like 'Spagnuolo' or 'Frazier', hell even 'Gruden'...

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I think the unvarnished truth is that Terrell Owens suffers from some type of mental illness.

He's going to cause trouble and then more trouble - despite his physical skills.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Ryan wasnt in the Rams time frame??? What one day we couldnt wait one day so we are gonna hire Garrett because we couldnt wait one freaking day! I'm not big on Ryan but one of my buddies is a huge Cowboy fan and all he did was complain about Garrett. I really hope that if this crap is true we dont regret it if one of these guys Ryan,Spags, or Frazier end up being great coaches and Garrett sucks. Now I could be wrong maybe Garrett will be a good coach but if he isnt and these three go onto be good head coaches that would really suck. Not in our time frame LOL so lets just hire a guy because we can't wait two freaking days.
    Just Fix It

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Ryan wasnt in the Rams time frame??? What one day we couldnt wait one day so we are gonna hire Garrett because we couldnt wait one freaking day! I'm not big on Ryan but one of my buddies is a huge Cowboy fan and all he did was complain about Garrett. I really hope that if this crap is true we dont regret it if one of these guys Ryan,Spags, or Frazier end up being great coaches and Garrett sucks. Now I could be wrong maybe Garrett will be a good coach but if he isnt and these three go onto be good head coaches that would really suck. Not in our time frame LOL so lets just hire a guy because we can't wait two freaking days.
    Completely Agree..Would take any of those 3 over Garrett
    Spags is my guy though and has been my guy.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    There's not enough validity in the argument that this man should be a head coach. This is a mistake, and I am incredibly upset. I thought Devaney knew what he was doing, again if he's our guy, I want him to explain why. To me, this isn't the drastic change we need.

Rosenbloom, why couldn't you just sell the team this year? I'm getting sick of this...
    I guess you would know more than Devaney since you have the same resources and got to interview all of the candidates???? You may not like his decision but I find it hard to believe that you know more. I prefer to wait and see before I get upset or cry foul.

The truth of the matter is if the guy was hired last year most of the ClanRam would have supported the decision. All I know is that he worked under Bill Parcels and if he was good enough for Bill. If you can find a better mentor for rebuilding a team that is competitive day 1 it's Bill....

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Garrett's detractors say this year's problems in Dallas showed that he simply isn't ready to be a head coach.
    Where have I heard this kind of stuff before? I wonder.

Oh how it sickens me!

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Where have I heard this kind of stuff before? I wonder.

Oh how it sickens me!

I believe the only way to really learn and improve is through correcting mistakes one makes ....

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

I live in DFW now and Garrett's poor playcalling during the year was all I heard from Cowboy fans. T.O. was only complaining because he's open alot and Romo didn't get him the ball??? Give Ryan the offer and wait 2 days, even Spags would be better than Garrett??

blood85 is offline Registered User

IF true, Another STUPID move by the Rams.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

So who do you guess would be our DC and OC if Garrett is the new HC?

Quote Originally Posted by clarasDK View Post
    So who do you guess would be our DC and OC if Garrett is the new HC?
    Very good question. While many others are steadfast in focusing on the negative I have been wondering the same thing, DK.

I would still like to see Dom Capers given consideration as DC.

Just a few off the cuff guesses on OC: John Ramsdell, Wade Wilson, Ken Zampese.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Very good question. While many others are steadfast in focusing on the negative I have been wondering the same thing, DK.

I would still like to see Dom Capers given consideration as DC.

Just a few off the cuff guesses on OC: John Ramsdell, Wade Wilson, Ken Zampese.

Do yall think, since he was on the Rams first candidates list, that Garrett might try to bring in Ray Sherman as the OC with him??..

Quote Originally Posted by unorthodox1999 View Post
    Do yall think, since he was on the Rams first candidates list, that Garrett might try to bring in Ray Sherman as the OC with him??..
    Yeah, could be. Garrett is certainly familiar with him. Sherman has been an OC in the past - vikings - if not mistaken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast