Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Blown Out Again-The Good, the Bad and The Ugly

Didn't get to see the game so I thank you all for the detailed analysis/descriptions.

Another defensive debacle, by the sound of it, but when we are still in the game at the end of the 3rd & SJ hardly gets a mention in the play-by-play log as either a runner or intended receiver, complete or not, I didn't need to see the final score.

Did Al get a frontal lobotomy or do I just need to put down the bottle in front of me?

No game tape to watch so I can't even debate why that happened but it's all ugly, I suspect.

Not a good football weekend for me ; I'm a Cal alumnus & the Bears didn't fare well, either. Which brings me to my last observation; Mebane.....if it's a name you're not familiar with, you may well be after the next game, I'm sorry to say.

I hate end on a negative note, so congrats to Long on his first NFL sack. May it be the first of many.Make The Deacon proud.

Hell, I wish they'd forget about the fair catch rule so we could have D. Jones punt on first down & let Torry & the kids run under it if they'll make plays like Holt did every now & again.

Also, no key injuries that I heard about,right?

6 sacks clearly indicates the overall failure to keep MB clean but did the RBs (esp. Kreider) show any signs of better blocking ?

sig51 Guest

None of the sacks came from paces side they came up the middle, or around Barron.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

That Pace survived , I guess, is good news but didn't Tuck get 2 sacks @ RDE? Were they stunts ?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

No pressure

No blocking

No wins.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    No pressure

No blocking

No wins.
    ~ No $#!+ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

moklerman Guest

I don't know if I agree that the deep ball was all Looker's fault. I'd like to see it again but from what I remember, if the ball had been thrown well and in stride, Looker was wide open. His inability to adjust illustrates that he's not a quality receiver but it was a pretty major adjustment that he tried to make. He had to completely switch to the opposite shoulder and slow down. I thought the play was more in line with the other pass that Bulger just plain missed to McMichael. In that case it was an overthrow rather than an underthrow but still a miss by the QB.

Not that any Rams fan really wants to think about this sort of thing but speaking of Everett, would Bulger benefit from a change of scenery at this point? The Blade had a couple of pretty good years left in his arm and benefitted from going to New Orleans. If Bulger can't reacquire trust in his o-line and receivers, it might be best for the team and himself to make some changes. He needs more help than he's getting but he isn't taking advantage of plays that are there either.

Sucks to be re-living the '90's.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    I don't know if I agree that the deep ball was all Looker's fault. I'd like to see it again but from what I remember, if the ball had been thrown well and in stride, Looker was wide open. His inability to adjust illustrates that he's not a quality receiver but it was a pretty major adjustment that he tried to make. He had to completely switch to the opposite shoulder and slow down.
    No, it was just a bad read by Looker. The safety was inside, he should have turned to the outside, which is where Bulger put it.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    ~ No $#!+ ~
    we thank you for your discrete and sensitive approach to both the team and its supporters here at the Clan during this tough time. Please, though, don't hesitate to say what's on your mind.

moklerman Guest

No, it was just a bad read by Looker. The safety was inside, he should have turned to the outside, which is where Bulger put it.
    I agree that Looker could have made it even easier had he turned the other way but the pass wasn't broken up because he turned inside. If the pass had been out in front of him where he could run under it, he was behind the defense. I have to assume that Bulger threw it pretty early in the route for it and Looker to have been that far off. It's no surprise that Looker isn't on the same page since the only time he should see the field is on special teams.

I guess that's the thing to start really paying attention to. Is Bulger rushing his throws? If so, is it because of actual pressure or perceived pressure? Or no trust in his line?

We're again at a point where Bulger can really define his game. He's not going to put up huge numbers without receivers and poor blocking but I think he should grind through it and complete the plays that do present themselves. There was no excuse to miss McMichael today and there were a couple like that last week. His shaky play is understandable to a point but when the line does provide protection he needs to come through.

Benching him wouldn't be good but it sure would be interesting to see what Green could do with the offense. I'm very curious at this point if Bulger's shell-shocked.

general counsel is offline Registered User

i dont think looker was "behind the defense" if the ball is thrown over the middle because i think the angle on tv was misleading. If the ball is over the middle, looker potentially gets clobbered or the ball may get knocked away. He WAS wide open to the sideline.

I think the point is that when there is a defensive player on one side, the qb is supposed to throw the ball to the other side and the wr is supposed to know that. Even if he was "open" over the middle, he was a LOT more open to the sideline and thats where looker should have been looking.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ps. the sacks tuck had were not against pace. They moved tuck around all game, he played inside and outside.

moloch41 Guest

I agree that Looker could have made it even easier had he turned the other way but the pass wasn't broken up because he turned inside. If the pass had been out in front of him where he could run under it, he was behind the defense.
    Bulger has been rushing passes- something 10 sacks in two games will do to a QB, but not on that play. Looker didn't read the defense correctly and Bulger did. If he throws it to the inside it could have been knocked away or possibly picked- Looker messed up. Which takes me back to my point of why can't we have the rookie recievers making those mistakes instead of Hall or Looker?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I agree that Looker could have made it even easier had he turned the other way but the pass wasn't broken up because he turned inside.
    No it wasn't, but it very easily could have been because Giants safety James Butler was closing in on Looker on the inside. Meanwhile, there was wide open space on the outside.

It's an adjustment Looker should have made. Even Aikman during the commentary after the play said Bulger couldn't lead Looker in the direction Looker was facing.

I have to assume that Bulger threw it pretty early in the route for it and Looker to have been that far off.
    Not according to the replay. Bulger actually stumbled a bit coming out from under center, took his drop, then he was flushed forward by a collapsing pocket, and then he threw.

moklerman Guest

It sounds like both of them screwed up then. I wish I would have Tivo'd the game but I just haven't had the stomach to re-examine the Rams lately. Looker went the wrong way, Bulger's throw wasn't the greatest, the blocking, the coaching, etc., etc.

It's just too painful to go through the whole list and I'm in big picture mode at this point. It would be nice to sit here and analyze and debate the minutia of the games but none of it matters until ownership and management are changed. For the better part of 28 years that's been the case and I refuse to put my heart into the team until there's an owner who'll do the same. The broken record that is Rams football needs to be replaced with a shiny new CD.

I hope Bulger can stay healthy long enough to see a new regime in place that will protect and give him a fighting chance but until then, one can't really judge what Bulger or the team is doing because it's a foundation built on sand.
    Last edited by moklerman; -09-15-2008 at 05:19 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12