• 4 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By Randart
  • 1 Post By Azul e Oro
  • 1 Post By r8rh8rmike

Thread: Rams Bradford confident he'll be ready for training camp

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams Bradford confident he'll be ready for training camp

By Jim Thomas

Last Monday marked eight weeks since Sam Bradford underwent left knee surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament. And the Rams’ quarterback couldn’t be feeling better.

The knee is pain free, the rehab process is going well and accelerating. Prior to the surgery, Bradford wouldn’t offer a prediction on when he’d be able to return. But on Thursday he said there was no reason why he shouldn’t be ready to go by the start of training camp in late July.

“Barring any major setbacks, I feel very confident for camp,” Bradford told the Post-Dispatch. “From everything that Reggie’s told me, he feels like that’s an attainable goal. He feels really good with where we’re at right now, and the progress that we’ve made in these first eight weeks. I think as long as we continue on this track, I’m confident that will be a reasonable thing.”

Reggie Scott is the Rams’ head athletic trainer and is the point man so to speak on Bradford’s recovery. Five days a week, every weekday, Bradford is at Rams Park working on the knee under the tutelage of Scott.

“It’s usually a pretty long process between the rehab and my workout,” Bradford said. “I got here a little before 9 (a.m.) and finished right before I came to talk to you.”

Which was at 1:15 p.m.

“So it’s a pretty full morning,” he said.

This coming Monday marks three months to the day since Bradford suffered the torn ACL in the Rams’ Oct. 20 loss at Carolina. It was a chippy, high-spirited game that included the ejection of defensive end Chris Long and then Bradford’s injury in the fourth quarter on a borderline cheap shot by Panthers’ safety Mike Mitchell.

Mitchell aggressively shoved Bradford out of bounds on a scramble, when an aggressive shove didn’t need to be made. Bradford was heading out of bounds anyway. His left leg got caught on the turf after the Mitchell shove, and Bradford’s season was over.

Bradford has yet to watch the play on game film, and doesn’t plan to.

“No. I don’t even want to see it,” Bradford said bluntly. “No.”

After three weeks of pre-surgery rehab, in which Bradford worked to get the swelling down and to get his range of motion back, surgery was performed Nov. 18 by noted orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews in Pensacola, Fla.

“I was definitely nervous going into (surgery),” Bradford said. “But obviously Dr. Andrews, he’s the best at what he does. I had full confidence in him and everything went great.”

It was a big relief for Bradford to learn there was no other damage to the knee. Other than the torn ACL, the knee was clean. That’s in contrast to Washington QB Robert Griffin III, who suffered tears to both his ACL and his lateral collateral ligament (LCL). The LCL tear complicated Griffin’s surgery, as did the fact that he had undergone previous surgery to repair the same ACL while in college at Baylor.

Also keep in mind that RGIII’s surgery a year ago took place nearly two months later than Bradford’s in the NFL cycle — on Jan. 9, 2013. So those trying to compare the two surgeries are talking apples and oranges.

In any event, Bradford started the rehab process the day after his surgery _ bending and straightening the left leg.

“Obviously, it’s very limited those first couple days,” Bradford said. “The first phase is kind of getting the range of motion back — kind of waking up all the muscles around the knee that obviously haven’t been fired in a while.

“And then once we got through that, we kind of got into the strengthening phase where now it’s all about strengthening all those muscles and trying to get the mass back on, and getting my left leg as strong as my right leg.”

The entire rehab process was explained to Bradford right around the time of the surgery. But by design he has avoided thinking big picture. For example, he doesn’t know when he will start light jogging. Every day when he arrives at Rams Park, Scott has a sheet of things to work on that day.

“I come in, and do that to the best of my ability, and that’s all I’m worried about it,” Bradford said. “I know that the past two weeks, the workload has definitely increased,” he said. “Really, you name a leg exercise and I’ve probably done it.”

He has even started throwing, albeit while sitting on a stool, to keep those upper torso muscles going.

“We did 30 throws on Tuesday,” Bradford said, indicating they were from a very short distance.

And that’s about as exciting as it gets for Bradford this offseason. Most players get away for several weeks at the end of the season for some R&R and warm weather. Bradford has to be here for his rehab work.

“I think this is the first time I’m getting to experience a St. Louis winter,” he said, smiling. “But really it hasn’t been bad. I think the biggest thing is you’re a little bored because obviously everyone’s not here.”

Even the Rams’ coaches are off for another week.

“Instead of being here all day (as is the case in season), you’re only up here for half a day and then you go home,” Bradford said. “And it’s not like you want to be on your feet, so you can’t really go do anything.”

Not to worry. Training camp will be here before you know it.
    Randart likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rams Bradford confident he'll be ready for training camp

Bradford: "Hey, Doc... after my knee heals, do you think I'll ever be able to run the 40 in 4.5 seconds?"

Andrews: "Sure, why not?"

Bradford: "Well... I never did before!"
    VegasRam likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Great news. I hope we hear similar progress about Jake Long since his surgery was more complicated involving the ACL and MCL. Thanks for posting Rambos.

Go Rams!

Richbert88 is online now Registered User

I will be visiting Training Camp, for the first time since they moved to St Louis, this July. It will sure be nice if Sam is full go by then. I'd like a little first hand peek at him and the WRs together.
    RamDez and Randart like this.
    Semper Fi!

Remember and take your camera and note book

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    I will be visiting Training Camp, for the first time since they moved to St Louis, this July. It will sure be nice if Sam is full go by then. I'd like a little first hand peek at him and the WRs together.

Randart is offline Registered User

Thanks for posting Rambos, sounds like Sammy is doing it the right way. He is a guy on a mission or so it seems and he should be huge year for him next season! Got a question for you guys do we play the painters next season? Got to be some huge resentment going between our two teams after last seasons debacle! I figure we don't probably get them on the regular schedule but if both teams make it to the playoffs that would make for a really interesting game!

Keep doing it Right Mr. Bradford your fans expect you to really crank it up this season!
    RealRam likes this.

RealRam is online now Registered User

We may have Sammy B playing as the Rams super strong punter! QB / P with his LEFT knee! ...Kicks great punts then just jogs to the sideline as play is in progress. 'Called the Bradford Rule.

No problem. Our 10 ST men take care of the opponents return efforts.

Rams  Bradford confident he'll be ready for training camp-sam-b-punter-.jpg - - Clic on image. Sammy rotates punting chores with Hekker.

PS: Great to see SB is doing well so far!

Last edited by RealRam; -01-18-2014 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Left knee

Richbert88 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    Remember and take your camera and note book
    My ten year old won't let me forget anything. Actually going to bring the whole family. Long family Grisswold type of adventure, maybe without so much drama. Anyway, Sam (the ten year old) is dying to meet Tavon.
    Randart likes this.
    Semper Fi!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    Long family Grisswold type of adventure, maybe without so much drama.
    "Sorry, folks. Practice is closed. Ram outside shoulda told you."

Randart is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    "Sorry, folks. Practice is closed. Ram outside shoulda told you."
    No worries Rich just kidd knap the owner and you can ride all the rides twice and for free!
    Richbert88 likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

The only lingering effect from this injury that worries me is how it will affect Bradford's mental state.

I hope by the time preseason games come around he's mentally healthy and can play without fear of the knee being re-injured. I'm pretty confident he'll be ready to roll.

It surely wouldn't hurt to add a few pounds of lean muscle to that lanky frame.

Ram Dragoon is online now Registered User

A serious injury isn't anything to laugh at--I seriously hope the rehab goes well and Bradford has a short memory and doesn't suffer being gun-shy when back on the field.

Pocket QBs I think all in all are better of then say those mobile QBs in terms of their careers. Bradford, you don't expect to have to run the ball. Capt. Kemp/Wilson/Vick/RG III/Newton-etc. all mobile are mobile QBs and for the most part without their legs are not elite players. I wonder, assuming Bradford a franchise worthy QB, how many of the mobile QBs will be still playing while he is in a few seasons from now?

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    The only lingering effect from this injury that worries me is how it will affect Bradford's mental state.

I hope by the time preseason games come around he's mentally healthy and can play without fear of the knee being re-injured. I'm pretty confident he'll be ready to roll.

It surely wouldn't hurt to add a few pounds of lean muscle to that lanky frame.
    Interesting point.Brady was a bit wobbly mentally as well as physically when he came back,iirc. I do remember watching Sam carefully after he was drafted to see if there was a similar issue resulting from the shoulder surgery. Never saw it. I also seem to recall that he bulked up for the pre-draft scrutiny while rehabbing so he obviously could again if deemed helpful.
    I also wonder what "ready" means. Does that mean full go for a game situation ? If so, how much drill time might he get during OTAs ? That's not as big a loss for him as the young WRs but you'd love to see him get those butterflies/kinks worked on ASAP as well as rapport with his guys.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Interesting point.Brady was a bit wobbly mentally as well as physically when he came back,iirc. I do remember watching Sam carefully after he was drafted to see if there was a similar issue resulting from the shoulder surgery. Never saw it.
    Neither did I. Same with the high ankle sprain. He came back without any issues. Bradford is mentally tough, a workout warrior, knows how far to push his body in rehab, and when it's ready to go.
    RealRam likes this.