throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Rams' Brian Quick seeking consistency

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams' Brian Quick seeking consistency

By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Ask nearly any Rams coach or player about second-year wideout Brian Quick and you’re bound to hear plenty of different thoughts, but one buzzword will keep coming up: consistency.

Blessed with a size, speed and strength package that no other Rams wideout possesses, Quick teases with what he could become should his potential ever convert to production.

Depending on the day, Quick can tantalize with that ability but can also disappear for long stretches of time. After perhaps his best practice of this training camp Tuesday afternoon, Quick has put together a pair of strong workouts in a row.

Quick’s work hasn’t gone unnoticed. Rams great Isaac Bruce noted Monday that Quick has all the ability in the world but just needs to find some consistency.

“Man, he has it all,” Bruce said. “He has speed, he has the physique, he has huge hands. The guy can run and get down the field and he can get out of his break. That’s the biggest thing in this league is being able to transition.”

Torry Holt, Bruce’s former running mate and Rams legend in his own right, arrived in town Monday afternoon and has witnessed practiced both days.

Quick followed a solid performance on Monday with a performance Tuesday in which he hauled in about a half-dozen catches during team drills, including a deep out in which he beat cornerback Janoris Jenkins, a deep ball down the sideline and a handful of intermediate dig routes.

At one point, Quick caught two in a row and Holt implored him from the sideline to “keep going.”

“Quick had an outstanding day,” Holt said. “I think these last two days have been really good for him.”

From Holt’s perspective, Quick needs to take advantage of his greatest asset: his size. At 6-foot-3, 218 pounds, Quick brings a different look from smaller, quicker teammates such as Tavon Austin and Chris Givens.

Having Quick provide a different look on the outside would give the Rams a unique variety of possibilities with the wideouts, but first he must consistently use that size to an advantage.

“Quick, you’re big, you are supposed to play big,” Holt said. “It doesn’t matter if you hurt people’s feelings. I’m not here to save your feelings. I’m big, I’m bigger than you, that’s how I’m going to play and the last couple days we saw that. It’s just a matter of Quick just continuing to be consistent, believe in what it is he can do.”

In other Rams news:

After an unseasonably cool run of weather, the Rams got a little heat for the first time in this training camp as temperatures rose to 89 degrees. Of course, that’s still pretty tame by August in St. Louis standards but it still provided a bit of a challenge given how cool it’s been recently. “Today was fine,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “Obviously they are in good shape and I thought they handled the heat pretty well. We’ll clearly back down tomorrow, kind of a walkthrough pace practice before we take off.”

For the second day in a row, rookie running back Zac Stacy didn’t do much of anything in practice. End Chris Long returned to team drills after sitting most of them Monday.

Aside from Quick’s exploits, the highlight of the day came when running back Daryl Richardson lowered his shoulder against safety T.J. McDonald in the open field and put McDonald on his back. Known for his speed, it was a rare burst of power for Richardson.

Running back Benny Cunningham got some work on kick returns Tuesday. As a player fighting for a potential fourth running back spot, any special teams ability he shows could help his cause.

There was a brief skirmish when linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar and tackle Jake Long got tangled up during team drills. The two grabbed each other’s facemasks and shoved each other a bit before being separated.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' Brian Quick seeking consistency

As our sole "big man" out wide, we definitely need Quick to show some consistency, especially when we get closer to the endzone when we will throw up some jump balls. Cook was brought in to do that too, I'm sure, but Quick needs to realize his potential, especially when we might get some mismatches where he could end up on a short corner who he can dominate physically when the bigger guy switches off to Tavon by mistake.
    I believe!

SimSportPl is offline Registered User

How's Quick looked in recent games (I haven't been able to watch the games)?
    Last edited by SimSportPl; -08-26-2013 at 03:06 PM.

citr92 is offline Registered User

some good things, some bad things

didn't pay attention to him last game much

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by SimSportPl View Post
    Well, Pettis has shown nothing in live preseason game contests yet is still running with the ones. I believe Quick worked exclusively with the second and third team offense in the dress rehearsal game, so make of that what you will.
    laram0 likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

macrammer is offline Registered User

another blasé article about Brian Quick. Yes, he is a good guy. Yes he has size. Yes he went to division 2 school yes he was drafted at the number 30 slot and yes he is not running with the 1's. Drafted a project while we are short on the OL in depth.........

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    another blasé article about Brian Quick. Yes, he is a good guy. Yes he has size. Yes he went to division 2 school yes he was drafted at the number 30 slot and yes he is not running with the 1's. Drafted a project while we are short on the OL in depth.........
    You can't use such hindsight. When we took Quick we were in desperate need of a receiver. We took Quick before we picked up Givens, Austin and Bailey, and before we signed Jared Cook.

When you compare our WR depth problems with our OL depth problems at the time of the draft, the WR depth was the biggest issue.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    You are forgetting the fact we did drafted a guard his name was Fat Albert but he could not keep his weight down so he was cut this year.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Well, Pettis has shown nothing in live preseason game contests yet is still running with the ones. I believe Quick worked exclusively with the second and third team offense in the dress rehearsal game, so make of that what you will.
    I really wish our RAMS would start Quick opposite Givens in our preseason finale. I don't know how much time Quick is going to be allowed to get "it"? Now's as good a time as ever to throw him out there with the ones!

Randart is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I really wish our RAMS would start Quick opposite Givens in our preseason finale. I don't know how much time Quick is going to be allowed to get "it"? Now's as good a time as ever to throw him out there with the ones!
    I and many others would pretty much agree with what you say here, except one minor detail...
    The 1's more than likely won't play much in the last preseason game so we can just hope Quick gets lots of work in this one! I think he could use it.

supachump is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    I and many others would pretty much agree with what you say here, except one minor detail...
    The 1's more than likely won't play much in the last preseason game so we can just hope Quick gets lots of work in this one! I think he could use it.
    Fisher likes to play the 1s a decent amount of time in the 4th preseason game (more so than most coaches). So maybe Quick will be out there with them. I hope so.

Although, I'm more worried about someone on the bubble from the other team injuring our starters in their attempt to make cuts. I'd rather our starters played briefly. Hopefully Fisher will change his mind .

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SimSportPl View Post
    You didn't miss anything, he was close to invisible on the field; however he was playing w/ the 2's & 3's and the QB play (which was in part due to the poor O-line play) was horrible.

SimSportPl is offline Registered User

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Not very encouraging.....

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    You can't use such hindsight. When we took Quick we were in desperate need of a receiver. We took Quick before we picked up Givens, Austin and Bailey, and before we signed Jared Cook.

When you compare our WR depth problems with our OL depth problems at the time of the draft, the WR depth was the biggest issue.
    [B]t apparently, those in the know saw Quick as a project..... not a savior at WR. And that has been proven correct. Perhaps he will wow me this year with more then 11 receptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    You are forgetting the fact we did drafted a guard his name was Fat Albert but he could not keep his weight down so he was cut this year.
    Fat albert was not drafted as a top 30 pick.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast