Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Rams bring back Gregg Williams

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams bring back Gregg Williams

55 minutes ago • By Jim Thomas

NEW YORK • Perhaps Gregg Williams in St. Louis was just meant to be.

On the day the Rams announced that defensive coordinator Tim Walton was not being retained, multiple sources told the Post-Dispatch that Williams is heading back to the Gateway City as the team's new coordinator.

The hiring of Williams — or is it re-hiring? — is expected to become official within a week. He was hired by Fisher two years ago this month, but then came the New Orleans "Bountygate" scandal in March 2012 and an indefinite suspension that kept Williams out of the game for a year.

After his suspension, Williams spent the 2013 season as a defensive consultant in Tennessee, but he was not retained once the Titans fired Mike Munchak and replaced him with Ken Whisenhunt.

Williams' suspension left Fisher in the lurch when it came to running the Rams' defense, and their long-term friendship appeared to be frayed. But Fisher and Williams had a couple of heart-to-heart talks over the past several weeks, and here we are.

When it comes to coaching staff changes, be they hirings or firings, Fisher is about as deliberate as they come. He puts a lot of thought into such matters.

So Wednesday, one month after the conclusion of the regular season, the Rams decided to part ways with Walton to make way for Williams.

Walton's stay with St. Louis lasted just one year, a year in which the team improved over the final half of the season, but still finished near the middle of the pack at 15th in total defense and 13th in scoring defense. Walton still has a year left on his contract, which the Rams must pay.

There were rumors late in the season that Fisher had taken over the play-calling of the defense, which Fisher denied and as did others at Rams Park. But Walton did go from being on the field to being in the coaches' box on game days around midseason.

Had Williams not entered the picture, there's a chance Walton would still have a job. But with Williams' return to the Rams, this is viewed as a chance for a good defense to become a great defense.

The Rams' brief release about Walton's firing contained this comment from Fisher: "I would like to thank Tim for his hard work and contributions to our defense. I wish him well in the future.”

Follow Jim Thomas on twitter @jthom1

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams bring back Gregg Williams

Well, our defensive scheme just got a lot more exciting to watch.
    Warner Pride likes this.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Good, now let's put a bounty on Kaepernick's head.
    Yodude, Torry Holt and Tampa_Ram like this.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Welcome home Gregg! Aggressiveness is going to be our middle name. I'm ready for some press man corners!

THE DREAM TEAM

demiurge is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin' Ram View Post
    Screw that noise. If there are bounties I'm dropping the Rams as long as its going on. We can leave that classless crap elsewhere.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by demiurge View Post
    Screw that noise. If there are bounties I'm dropping the Rams as long as its going on. We can leave that classless crap elsewhere.
    I agree. Rams defenders should not work to beat their blockers, hit Kaepernick with maximum force, knock the ball loose and make him reluctant to go back out on the field because there is some financial prize.

They should do it for the love of the game.

Indeed! I'm all for laying a load, being a defensive player myself back in the day. This 'defenseless receiver' stuff and putting dresses on QBs offends me on a purely primitive level. Trying your best to impose your will on the other guy is what football should be. Chuck Bednarik on Gifford, Jack Tatum on Sammy White, Butkus on, well nearly everybody. But that's different than intentionally targeting knees like Williams is on record telling his players to do.

I'm willing to give him a chance, as long as he doesn't cross that line again. He was a good DC without that. I do think its the right move, but remember, if he screws up like that again, it can lose the team he's on a complete season, like it did the Saints.

It will be nice to see agressive man to man coverage again though. Giving up 68% completion percentage with that pass rush? That was criminal!

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

In all seriousness though, I'm sure he won't get involved with bounty-based defense. He's put on a good resume with the Titans post-Bountygate. Now we can scrap that 10 yard cushion and let our secondary give our D-line a chance to put pressure on the QB.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin' Ram View Post
    LOL! Sounds like a plan! [ Taken as a metaphor, of course. ]

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I think the expectations for Fisher escalate in 2014, and if he thinks Williams helps the Rams turn the corner and contend in the NFC West, I'll support his decision.

If anything, it'll give Michael Crabtree something to think about.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Seahawks fans getting nervous already.

And I thought the Rams were dirty this year..

Look who's coming to our division:

Good god, this division is going to be brutal for YEARS. The defenses here are insane.

Is there anyone in the NFC who plays defense like our division other than maybe Carolina? The Giants?

In any case, I don't think people are going to be able to say that the NFC West champion didn't earn their titles any longer. Toughest division in the NFL.
    I just came to post that. More brutal physical football on the way hopefully not dirty.
    I feel sorry for percy. He will have a huge target on his back in divisional games
    Bad news travels fast. I like how they call us dirty, it's another name for a team that will not get punched in the face. We hit back!
    RamDez and laram0 like this.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I almost feel sorry for our opponents.

Almost.
    THOLTFAN81 and gap like this.

mh-i is online now Registered User

From a PR stand point I don't get the signing. Hopefully we don't see a rise in PEDs and other win at any cost issues.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Its a great combination to have a head for football and an ability to inspire your defense.

Granted, the Bounty-gate shadow will hang over Williams' head--just a fact of life. But despite that minor distraction, he has a mind for the game. That's the first thing you want in a DC or and OC--the ability to understand your opponent and find a way to beat him; second, have the ability to sell the solution to your squad and have them buy into it. Sounds easy, but notice there is a shortage in the NFL for top coaches? Hundreds of colleges, hundreds of coaches and yet like an elite QB, its almost like discussing Unicorns and Bigfoot--darn hard to find.

And its the first REAL news coming out of Rams camp--things are moving
    RamDez likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast