RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Camp: Hill flies into Holt on his first day

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/01/2006

When it comes to football, rookie Tye Hill believes he can fly. During his first defensive team meeting Sunday night, he didn't just tell that to his Rams teammates - he sang it.

But Hill's rendition of "I Believe I Can Fly," crash-landed.

"His singing is awful," veteran safety Corey Chavous said.

It didn't help, that in a strange twist, Rams veterans instructed rookie defensive end Victor Adeyanju to bark - yes, bark - while Hill was singing.

"That was pretty funny," Hill said.

Oh, well, the Rams didn't sign Hill to a five-year contract because of his vocal chords. Hill is getting paid to play cornerback- and as the No. 15 pick overall - the expectation is that Hill will play cornerback at a high level. The sooner, the better.

With equal parts humility and swagger, Hill sounds like he's up to the challenge.

"I'm trying to be a Pro Bowler in two years," Hill said. "That's the truth."

There's the swagger. The humility came out Monday morning after getting schooled a couple of times by wide receiver Torry Holt - a five-time Pro Bowler - in Hill's first training camp practice as a Ram.

"I've got to crawl before I walk," Hill said. "And going up against him is going to make me better."

In a red-zone drill, Holt beat Hill over the middle for a touchdown despite fairly tight coverage.

Later, in a seven-on-seven session, Holt beat Hill deep for a long gain.

"Well, he got me," Hill said. "He got me a few times. But, hey, he's a Pro Bowler. He'll be in the Hall of Fame. Going up against him is just going to make me better."

Yeah, but didn't Holt push off on both plays to get open?

"Hey, I can't play ref," Hill said, laughing. "All I can play is corner. Hopefully, they'll see that."

After missing the first four days of camp, Hill didn't get much razzing from his teammates Monday. But Holt did give him a verbal jab after scoring that red zone TD.

"He was like: 'Welcome to the league, rookie,' " Hill said.

On a day when the thermometer hit triple digits, Hill got plenty of work. During "team" periods, he worked with the second-string defense at left corner. And he worked with the kickoff coverage and punt coverage units during special-teams periods.

"They got that signing bonus out of him today," defensive back Ron Bartell chuckled afterwards. "He was a little winded. But you know what? I think he did a good job for his first day."

Hill said he had no problem with recall, knowing where to line up and what to do on defense.

"Today was more battling the heat," Hill said after the morning practice. "I didn't want to have any mental errors. I don't think I had any. ... I feel like I'm grasping everything pretty quick. Right now, it's just time for me to get back in shape - getting back in football shape instead of just running shape."

The sooner that happens, the quicker Hill can make a run at a starting job. For now, he's backing up Travis Fisher. But Fisher tweaked his groin in the morning workout and wasn't able to finish out the practice. Fisher, remember, was slowed most of last season by a groin injury, sitting out eight games and finishing the year on injured reserve.

Monday's setback wasn't believed to be serious for Fisher. In fact, Fisher practiced Monday night, but if he aggravates the injury, it could give Hill the opening he needs to move into the first unit. On Monday morning, however, Jerametrius Butler and Dwight Anderson moved into Fisher's spot for the rest of the practice with Hill staying on the second unit.

In the opening days of camp, free-agent pickup Fakhir Brown has been the starting right corner, with Fisher the starting left corner. Until Hill's arrival, Butler and DeJuan Groce had worked with the second unit. But Groce sat out both practices Monday with a strainer hamstring.

"Fish and J.B. and Fakhir have played very solid and made great progress," coach Scott Linehan said. "We're going to play the best 11, and Tye knows that. So he's going to have to play at the top of his game - even though he's a rookie - to be a starter."

Fisher had been impressive in camp before Monday's groin setback, playing with purpose, and at a lean 187 pounds.

"I'm like 14 pounds lighter," said Fisher, who's entering his fifth season. "I don't even think I weighed 187 when I was a rookie."

In nickel situations, Fisher has moved in to play the slot receiver, with Butler coming off the bench to play corner. But again, the dynamics could change now that Hill is in the mix.

"He'll make a huge difference as long as he continues to stay focused and really works on the little things," Chavous said. "When it comes down to it, there's a lot of pressure on him. When you're a first-round pick, certainly all eyes are on you. They tested him a little bit (Monday) to see where he was at. I think he responded. He'll compete through it. And he'll grow."

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Camp: Hill flies into Holt on his first day

hill should get used to being smoked by holt and bruce,but on the flip side it will only make him better.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

If there are any two receivers that can really help out a rookie CB, it's Holt and Bruce, they got so much experience, and they truly are one of the league's best, and it's been that way for a long time. They can really teach this guy the ropes, and hopefully it'll really help out.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

rams#1 Guest

tye will diffenetly get better going up against Ike and Torry, Now we just have to see how he does against the other elite recievers in the NFL.