Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Rams Camp: Hoping for big impact on a budget ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams Camp: Hoping for big impact on a budget ..

By Peter King

3:00 p.m.; Earth City, Missouri

Every team on the camp trip has more stories than I thought they would going in. With the Rams, the story is the part that all of the low-cost free agents and draft choices are going to play in trying to get this team over the top in an awful NFC West.

Safety Quintin Mikell is the only big-money guy. The Rams had to pay $6.5 million a year to get him from Philadelphia. But most of the rest of the new Rams came at either minimum salary or a low price tag, a tribute to the work of COO/cap guy Kevin Demoff. The Rams, basically, are the poor man’s Eagles. Linebackers Brady Poppinga and Ben Leber and 6’2” wideout Mike Sims-Walker came for what the Rams would have paid in 2011 cap dollars to get Plaxico Burress. I have been critical of the Rams for not going after Burress. But when they found out that it would have cost them about $4 million to get Burress for 2011, they figured that they would rather get quantity instead of questionable quality.

But at the end of the day, while I watched the Rams practice this afternoon, I figured that it would all come down to whether this offense could finally produce the game-breaking plays that they just couldn’t make last year. I’m not sure if it’ll be Sims-Walker, or either of a pair of young prospects (speedy wideout Mardy Gilyard or rookie third-rounder Austin Pettis from Boise State), but it had better be someone. In Denver last year, Josh McDaniels turned Brandon Lloyd from a has-been to one of the biggest deep threats in football. Now, as the rookie offensive coordinator here, he’s got to do the same thing again.

“I feel good about our talent, I feel good about Sam,” said McDaniels, another guy who’ll be under a hot spotlight this year after getting dumped in Denver. “We’ve just got to get them to learn a lot of stuff in a short period of time.” In the NFL this year, he’s not alone.

No mention of Harvey D? Thought he was a noteworthy pickup as well .. Poor Pete has 32 teams to cover so guess he rates a mulligan this time ...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rams Camp: Hoping for big impact on a budget ..

How much do you want to bet that if you go through King's archives, you could find many comments about teams like the Redskins proving how a title can't be bought. And yet, if a team does NOT spend money on "big name" FAs, he's all too happy to criticize. In other words, you can't win with these media clowns.

I look at it this way:

Need: How Addressed

RB (backup): Cadillac Williams (FA), Jerious Norwood (FA)
    WR/TE: Austin Pettis (draft), Greg Salas (draft), Lance Kendricks (draft), Mike Sims-Walker (FA)
    OG: Harvey Dahl (FA), Jacob Bell (restructured contract), Adam Goldberg (re-signed)
    DE: Robert Quinn (draft)
    DT: Justin Bannan (FA), Dan Muir (FA), Gary Gibson (re-signed)
    OLB: Zac Diles (FA), Brad Poppinga (FA), Ben Leber (FA)
    CB (nickel/dime): Al Harris (FA)
    S: Quintin Mikell (FA), Jermale Hines (draft), Jonathan Nelson (draft)

Pretty darn good, if you ask me, particularly when you factor in that the majority of these players are one-year deals or affordable rookies, meaning that the Rams were able to fill their needs without tying up cap dollars long term.
    MauiRam likes this.

ram4lyfe is offline Registered User

man the media really never have nothing to say about our rams and when they do its negative we know what we did this offseason filled up all the holes we needed to fill we didnt really need no plaxico no nnamdi or any other of them big name free agents to make us better in my opinion

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Peter King, somehow, doesn't realize we picked up Dahl? Come on...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    How much do you want to bet that if you go through King's archives, you could find many comments about teams like the Redskins proving how a title can't be bought. And yet, if a team does NOT spend money on "big name" FAs, he's all too happy to criticize. In other words, you can't win with these media clowns.
    Succinctly put, and spot on!